'Good School'

• 'Good School'

I often time come across the term go to 'good school' in some post.

It's seem to have a very important meaning in the Jamaican context.

How is 'good school' determined? What are the criteria?

Can someone attend a 'good school' and be an idiot?

Can someone attend a 'bad school' and be brilliant?

Is the UWI a 'good school'?

What the 'ell is the Jamaican meaning of 'good school'?

TIA

Re: 'Good School'

What the 'ell is the Jamaican meaning of 'good school'?
    Lol, HL, I am going to spend some free time soon and diligently search the archives here for some of my past posts (lol). I once touched on this subject of so-called “good school”, but not in the tactful way that you have here. I actually attacked persons here for their constant reference, colonial mentality-style, to their “good school”!

Suffice it to say that some posters here were very displeased with me (as they often are)!!

Historian, please don't spend anytime being concerned with folks who are displeased with you. The whole act of being displeased is a burden on them...NOT you.

But, I have seen the 'good school' connotation from time to time--and realized that it maybe a code for something.

I concluded that it's a "we vs. them" kinda colonial ingrained weakness.

something for middle aged, pot bellied men to cling to...nostalgia

It's clear that none of you three went to a "good school", otherwise you wouldn't be asking (or trying to answer) this question!

HL, When you go to the doctor, or dentist for example (I assume you might have had reason to visit one), do you ask him/her whether they went to a "good school"?

The fact is none of us really care... and we don't know if they graduated with a A+ average or a C-.

It's clear that none of you three went to a "good school", otherwise you wouldn't be asking (or trying to answer) this question!
              Bap!

Ask Parents who have to select a high school in Jamaica when GSAT time come along.. dem will tell yuh !

ouch!!

where you see me asking any question?

It's seem to have a very important meaning in the Jamaican context.

How is 'good school' determined? See my answer below What are the criteria?
                      See my answer below
                      Can someone attend a 'good school' and be an idiot? Yes

Can someone attend a 'bad school' and be brilliant? Yes

Is the UWI a 'good school'? Yes

What the 'ell is the Jamaican meaning of 'good school'? Good teachers, good curriculum, strong history

TIA
                      See my answers to your questions. Going to a 'good school' in Jamaica is important. All high schools are not equal in Jamaica. It's that simple.
                      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                        Ask Parents who have to select a high school in Jamaica when GSAT time come along.. dem will tell yuh !

..And therein lies the answer!

can you break it down any more simply?

Dem label ah certain few suh fi wah mi nuh really know still, but due to seh mi ah country gully man mi doan eben worry bout di 'good school ting'. Most time is a money ting as well an dem light brown people (weh seh dem nuh black) did institute di ting to. Suh is a combination, nuh worry yuhself.

Did you attend UWI?