How Chronixx Will be Sold to the Suburbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Chronixx Will be Sold to the Suburbs

Ten years from now, we’re going to hear that it was the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon that launched Chronixx’ career. For those of us who refuse to give Jamaicans credit for anything, they will believe that and repeat it often enough until it becomes gospel, at the very least, among the other ignoramuses.

Well, allow me to commit that lie to a stillbirth. Chronixx is a highly respected, highly rated artiste in his homeland of Jamaica . Way before NBC contemplated giving Fallon the Tonight Show, Chronixx had a loyal following and big hits in Jamaica and was revered by her people. Even uptown Jamaicans give him nuff props. Forget actual sales numbers, which is a foreign concept. How many albums Ninjaman sell again?!

Clearly, every new outlet that exposes an artiste to a new market would have done its part in expanding that artiste’s fame and increase record sales, but that should not be confused with an already existing popularity of the artiste, especially among his own people. Gone are the days when Jamaicans wait for foreign acceptance of musicians or fashion before we shower praise, recognition and admiration. Beres Hammond and Vybz Kartel spring to mind.

So, let’s shoot down any attempt by the media that would try to write a history of Jamaicans not loving Chronixx until him did big abroad.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

ROOTS singer Chronixx got an instant bump after the hype arounnd his performance on the top-rated Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
    There was a surge in sales for his Dread & Terrible EP and the single Here Comes Trouble just hours after his July 22 performance on the NBC show was announced.
    The cut-off period for chart and sales tabulation ended on July 20. Up to that point, the Phillip 'Winta' James- produced Here Comes Trouble had registered 1,051 downloads in comparison to just 99 the previous week.
    The figure sent the track flying back onto Billboard's Digital Reggae Singles chart at number 19. To date, it has sold 6,328 copies.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...ONIXX_17228621
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

the kiss of death...RIP Chronixx career

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        the kiss of death...RIP Chronixx career
        Heh heh!

Same way yuh was a big up Kartel one time, nuh true, till him mek people vanish in thin air.

Wooiiee!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ketch up, Bricky! Di bandwagon nah go wait fi nuhbody!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Tessanne still a answer phone at Digicel HQ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
              Tessanne still a answer phone at Digicel HQ?
              Yes. She say she get one collect call from a Missa Palmer di odda day.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If you read the revisionists you would think that The Wailers never sold a song in Jamaica until Island Records signed them.

We need to appreciate our good music before others claim to validate it for us.

HL and Tilla check out this nice chune and excellent video:

Who knows, who knows, who knows,
                I just go where the tradewind blows,
                Sending love to my friends and foes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqFmXZ8tOE
                Last edited by Islandman; July 25, 2014, 02:33 PM.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Love it! Nice.

I prefer this song to the one he did on Kimmel.

We need to appreciate our good music before others claim to validate it for us.
                  I was never for one moment suggesting that we need to have others validate the music for us before we appreciate it.

I am more for doing away with the parochial mindset and realize that there is the world outside of Jamaica to conquer. Bob Marley realized this, that no matter what he did to dominate the music scene in Jamaica, his message was not being maximized until he extended his reach outside Jamaica. I guess he bought into the adage that a man's reach should exceed his grasp.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The truth is every so often we have an artist who get a push, the transition is not easy, but it is best to hold on to your fans and get new ones. We not so long ago had Iwayne, Richie Spice and the youth who did "hold them" getting mainstream rotation.

The fact is most will not make it. Chronixx has the potential but he has to chart the water where he will have a career in music whether it will be selling to 10,000 or 50,000 and getting his fair share of royalties and have his creativity juice flowing. No need to lose all of that at the expense of going commercial as the market may never accept him (who knows). It is think big and do good music but don't be overcome by big promises and name, make sure there are concrete plans and push for your music.

For these music moguls you are just good when you are hot, don't look for them to be your backbone, and their concern is just getting there money and yours. As an artist build your craft and sign the right contracts for you, your family and your career. Do you think any big label was jumping to sign Bob Marley? How big was Island record then?
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Ten years from now, we’re going to hear that it was the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon that launched Chronixx’ career. For those of us who refuse to give Jamaicans credit for anything, they will believe that and repeat it often enough until it becomes gospel, at the very least, among the other ignoramuses.

Well, allow me to commit that lie to a stillbirth. Chronixx is a highly respected, highly rated artiste in his homeland of Jamaica . Way before NBC contemplated giving Fallon the Tonight Show, Chronixx had a loyal following and big hits in Jamaica and was revered by her people. Even uptown Jamaicans give him nuff props. Forget actual sales numbers, which is a foreign concept. How many albums Ninjaman sell again?!

Clearly, every new outlet that exposes an artiste to a new market would have done its part in expanding that artiste’s fame and increase record sales, but that should not be confused with an already existing popularity of the artiste, especially among his own people. Gone are the days when Jamaicans wait for foreign acceptance of musicians or fashion before we shower praise, recognition and admiration. Beres Hammond and Vybz Kartel spring to mind.

So, let’s shoot down any attempt by the media that would try to write a history of Jamaicans not loving Chronixx until him did big abroad.
                      who name Jimmy Fallon???
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

OK, I can agree with that.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                          I am more for doing away with the parochial mindset and realize that there is the world outside of Jamaica to conquer. Bob Marley realized this, that no matter what he did to dominate the music scene in Jamaica, his message was not being maximized until he extended his reach outside Jamaica. I guess he bought into the adage that a man's reach should exceed his grasp.
                          And I was never for one minute suggesting that he should not spread his wings outside of Jamaica. It's the "how" where we disagree, I guess.

I am saying Chronixx need not clean up the language or the album title to reach out to Babylon. Imagine if Bob had listened to the thousands of Jamaicans who had a problem wid him dutty dreads, saying he would be so much more acceptable if he cleaned up his image! I can imagine the thousands who think Chronixx should do the same. Maybe that's why he covered it with a tam the other night!

Chronixx should remain true to his craft, to his Jamaicaness, to himself. He may not conquer the world if he does that, but he can do very well for himself, for his family and for Jamaica if he just continues to make good music. I don't think we realise what it is that people really like about Jamaica.

And, by the way, it is Jimmy Fallon, not Kimmel.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"the parochial mindset and realize that there is the world outside of Jamaica to conquer" They need to understand this statement Tilla.

Comment

Who does not understand it?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X