X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When cinemas loomed large

When cinemas loomed large

File
    The State (left) and Regal Cinemas in Crossroads.

Tanya Batson, Staff Reporter

I am making my way to work by bus. As the vehicle makes its way through Half Way-Tree, for some reason I look across at the old Odeon building, which I have passed for many years. Additionally, the old theatre has been looking progressively decrepit. Today it looks even more so.

The theatre, which was closed in 1999, seems to have gathered speed on its journey to ruin. It is easy to picture how the bold red sign had once glittered red, welcoming all who wanted to watch a movie under the open sky.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../ent/ent1.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

In those days of the late 1960st it was a safe happy time and it was good fun to attend the movies with my brother-in-law...well brother-in-law to legally be ...at Rialto on Windward Road.

Everyone met was friendly! Those were the days!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

It appears that only Carib is left from that golden era. The grand white building still stands boldly defiant in the middle of Cross Roads. Now Carib 5, the cinema has changed from the single screen set-up that could hold well over 1,000 people at once. Devoured by fire in September of 1996, the cinema managed to arise phoenix-like from the flames. It was also able to do what so many others were unable to do. Change.

Ms. Melanie Graham, marketing manager for Palace Amusement Company, attempted to explain why she believes none of these cinemas were able to last. "They all closed because they were the old type of movie cinemas. Not air-conditioned, very sparse seat, and I think with the advent of video... that added to their demise," she said. She went on to explain that in order to continue to thrive, cinemas needed a lot of investment. "I don't think at the time they were willing to spend to upgrade," she stated, also noting that the admission rates were not very profitable.
      Nobody cyaan tell mi say dat fire wasn't del...rahtid, di rice a bun up!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X