X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, Mr Deputy PM

Monday, May 28, 2007

Dear Editor,
    On a visit to Jamaica just recently, the deputy prime minister of Britain John Prescott was insulted by Mr Mike Henry, a senior member of the Jamaica Labour Party and a possible future government minister, when Mr Prescott refused to apologise for slavery.

Let me, on behalf of the people of Jamaica, apologise to the British deputy prime minister for Mr Henry's irrationality. Mr Deputy Prime Minister, please accept our sincere apologies, because some of our political leaders don't know what they are doing - really.
    Mr Deputy PM, there are some of us black people, in the year 2007, who still believe that your country, Great Britain, among others, still owes us something.
    This is reparation. I still don't know why, but these people actually believe that sensible people like the British are going to waste their time by taking our claims for compensation (and even an apology) seriously. Unfortunately, Mike Henry is one of those leaders.
    The truth, Mr Deputy PM, as I am certain that you are aware, is that we blacks were already paid, when we sold our own to your ancestors for what we considered to be a fortune many years ago. So, in a strictly legal sense, you paid us already. Also, in many cases, we were not forced to sell or surrender our own, but we did so willingly. Mr Prescott, please don't take politicians like Mr Henry seriously - most of us in Jamaica don't anyway!
    It is good, Mr Deputy PM, that what you want to do is not for Britain to offer an apology for something that it did not do, but to help us out of our present predicament - with economic assistance. While your intent is good, I think that much of it may be for naught - as we blacks are, it seems, very good at squandering money. Just look at the recent Cricket World Cup. Also, with leaders like Mr Henry, you can rest assured that we won't make much use of your aid. Anyway, thanks for your help.
    Take no note of Mr Henry. He represents the past - yesterday's leaders.
    Michael A Dingwall
    Kingston
    michael_a_dingwall@hotmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

How dare this fool, Dingwall, apologise on my behalf! No thanks, fool!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X