RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historian: Johnny Johnson (he plays the piano)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian: Johnny Johnson (he plays the piano)

Your views on his talent.

Thanks.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Re: Johnnie Johnson

Originally posted by HL View Post
    Your views on his talent.

Thanks.
    HL, I saw your post yesterday, but since you posted no link, and because I had no idea who on earth Johnnie Johnson was, I wasn’t able to reply immediately.

Now that I have some free time, I checked YouTube.

Quite simply, Johnson is an excellent pianist in the twelve-bar blues format! His playing reminds me of other outstanding blues pianists like Ray Charles, etc., and I certainly enjoyed the numbers I listened to just now! By the way, check out Johnnie’s lead guitarist, Les Karski, on the live link I’m posting below. These guys are really good blues players!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-erUKep2wI

Now, despite his taste and beautiful blues-based technique, Johnnie Johnson is no Monty Alexander or Oscar Peterson!! The blues is really simple music, and relies primarily on “feel” along with some technique. It is therefore difficult to evaluate a twelve-bar blues player when compared to incredible jazz perfectionists like Monty Alexander and Oscar Peterson!

Comment

In Addition

Listening to Johnnie’s vocals and Les Karski’s guitar solos, I sometimes got the uncanny feeling I was listening to a 1960s live performance by the great Jimi Hendrix!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        HL, I saw your post yesterday, but since you posted no link, and because I had no idea who on earth Johnnie Johnson was, I wasn’t able to reply immediately.

Quite simply, Johnson is an excellent pianist in the twelve-bar blues format! His playing reminds me of other outstanding blues pianists like Ray Charles, etc., and I certainly enjoyed the numbers I listened to just now! By the way, check out Johnnie’s lead guitarist, Les Karski, on the live link I’m posting below. These guys are really good blues players!

Now, despite his taste and beautiful blues-based technique, Johnnie Johnson is no Monty Alexander or Oscar Peterson!! The blues is really simple music, and relies primarily on “feel” along with some technique. It is therefore difficult to evaluate a twelve-bar blues player when compared to incredible jazz perfectionists like Monty Alexander and Oscar Peterson!

Saw Johnny Johnson in a Chuck Berry documentary. He played the piano behind Berry. I was just blown away with some of his leads.

Thank you very much for your input

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

I knew there was something I liked about Johnnie Johnson's music but I couldn't quite put my finger on it, until I read your post, Historian.

You see, I also subscribe to that 12-bar format you speak of!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

one scotch, one bourbon, one beer ........

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

A Bit Puzzled....

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              one scotch, one bourbon, one beer ........
              Gamma, I’m not sure what is the connection between the oldie, “One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer” and blues pianist Johnnie Johnson.

(By the way, HL, his first name is actually spelt “Johnnie”, not “Johnny” (lol).

Comment

Thanks Historical One!

I have afeeling that you would enjoy the Chuck Berry documentary that featured Johnnie Johnson as pianist..

The documentary was put together by Keith Richards. Robert Cray was also featured. (I love Robert Cray. I have about 3 of his CD's).

Let me break you off a bit:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...61CE2E17A85825

HL

Comment

mosiah and his 12 bars ..... is rum bar him talking!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Revisiting Johnnie Johnson

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    Thanks Historical One!

I have afeeling that you would enjoy the Chuck Berry documentary that featured Johnnie Johnson as pianist..

The documentary was put together by Keith Richards. Robert Cray was also featured. (I love Robert Cray. I have about 3 of his CD's).

Let me break you off a bit:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...61CE2E17A85825
                    HL, sometimes when I post a comment here, I wonder how well I’m communicating whatever issue is being discussed.

Now, like Mosiah, I absolutely love the blues, boss! This is the stuff I grew up on, and I remember in my younger days introducing my friends and peers to Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Muddy Waters, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Albert King, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ray Charles, and many others.

Again I will state, though, that the blues is feel-oriented! If you carefully check out the solo by Johnnie Johnson on the link you provided, his piano playing involves absolutely nothing complex (chords, technique), but it is nonetheless VERY beautiful. I truly enjoyed Johnson’s piano solo (and Clapton’s guitar), but there was no difficulty in terms of technique; the success was that hard-to-describe-aspect which I randomly call feel.

If you wish, by way of technique comparison, you may check out Monty Alexander’s “What A Friend We Have In Jesus,” which I posted a few weeks ago. (By the way, I also like guitarist Robert Cray’s music. I remember him from the 1980s, but he had slipped off my radar!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      mosiah and his 12 bars ..... is rum bar him talking!!!
                      Come on, Historian, whatever happened to that very cultured sense of humour!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

“Historian”?! (Lol)

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Come on, Historian, whatever happened to that very cultured sense of humour!
                        That was Gamma, boss.

Comment

Working...
                        X