No announcement yet.

Parrot Fish Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL, Karl and others from the West....do you remember a little fish down that side that was called Godami or something like that? I only remember eating it in Westmoreland while on holidays.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yes! I do.

Back in 1997 I visited Jamaica and my mother was alive then and had visited Sav and bought home some godami . I enjoyed some stewed Godami then. Always seem to taste better on the second day after cooking.

When I was a young boy, I wondered where the name of the fish came from. My mother told me that the fish at one point didn't have a name, so it went to pay God a visit to correct this issue. The fish knocked on God's door, to which God responded, "who is there!". The no name fish said "God a mi!". God said, "take that name and go!".

I think Godami was found mainly in the Cabarita River if I am not mistaken.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        HL, Karl and others from the West....do you remember a little fish down that side that was called Godami or something like that? I only remember eating it in Westmoreland while on holidays.
        Oh yes!

Gadami was mosr privalent after a heavy rain. It's the Indians who came into Sav. (from Big Bridge and Little London) with hundreds of these fish to sell.

These critters (from what i can recall as a 6 or 7 y.o.) were squirming after being gutted and scaled.

We had them curried with that delicious Indian Curry.

I would really like to try that fish again.

SIDEBAR:
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I am sure that is the same story I heard about the naming of the fish. Must have been a Sav/Westmoreland thing.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Here's why I have some HOPE Historian:

Click to view6:34

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              Oh yes!

Gadami was mosr privalent after a heavy rain. It's the Indians who came into Sav. (from Big Bridge and Little London) with hundreds of these fish to sell.

These critters (from what i can recall as a 6 or 7 y.o.) were squirming after being gutted and scaled.

We had them curried with that delicious Indian Curry.

I would really like to try that fish again.

SIDEBAR:
              .... most prEvalent......

HL

Comment

They were in Hanover, there use to be a stop on the train line, where they were catching them on the hillside in St. Bess/Manchester, I was told it was an old government farm.

Comment

Very clever....

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                    Try Sea Bass -- nice eat, very fleshy! When I used to go fishing, that is what I wanted on my line...
                    True Mex. Give me black Sea bass over red snapper any day. Less bones, sweeter meat. Parrot is a flavorless fish. It feeds on sand and coral. One man's opinion.

Comment

Chilean sea bass is endangered. Is Jamaican bass endangered?

Comment

Chilean sea bass is not endangered.

Is Chilean sea bass an endangered species?
                        No. But large, unreported catches from illegal fishing of this valuable fish has made effective management difficult. In 2000, more than 16,000 tons of Chilean sea bass were legally harvested in the Antarctic management area. Estimates vary, but there may be up to twice that amount taken illegally.
                        Taken from Website of US Dept of Commerce

I have been reading up on it since MdmeX made the recommendation recently, so that s why I am aware.
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

As a former fisherwoman -- there are lots of regulations on fishing. Black sea bass has to be at least 13" in length and the season is July to December, and there is a limit on how much you can catch per day.

These Inspectors are serious when they meet you at that boat.

As to the stripe bass, it's 2 per catch, with guidelines on length.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                          X