Parrot Fish Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parrot Fish Ban

JAMAICANS love parrotfish. Steamed, fried or roasted, the brightly coloured sea creature is a common feature on many a dinner plate. It’s also a favourite at the beach and at roadside eateries on the weekend.

But the enjoyment could soon come to an end as local and international groups are lobbying for a parrotfish ban. The arguments are that: 1) the fish clean coral reefs by eating the algae that grows on them, and 2) they excrete sand, which is one way of countering beach erosion.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Parrotfish-ban
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

I love parrot fish! I have not had any in years however, so I am not contributing to their demise.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

It is really crazy how Jamaica will ....and at the same time create environmental havoc on Goat Island.

Comment

Well they want the parrot fish to produce the sand; so that someone can thief a whole beach of sand!!
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Try Sea Bass -- nice eat, very fleshy! When I used to go fishing, that is what I wanted on my line...
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Should not be limited to Parrot Fish--but to all reef fishes that are sexually immature.

I've mentioned it before on this forum. Everytime i visit Jamaica, there is always someone walking home with a string of sexually immature fish taken from the reef. This should stop or be highly regulated through education. I think Jamaicans have the ability to solve this problem.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Hopefully they will be as successful with this campaign as they have been with controlling the lion fish , and invasive species that is causing all sorts of problems with marine life in the Caribbean.

The solution to controlling the population of the lion fish was fairly simple, encourage more people to eat it, which many people apparently are doing!

Last edited by Islandman; July 9, 2014, 02:36 PM.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

chilean sea bass ... and trout.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I am fine with the black sea bass or the striped sea bass!!
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

and the mangroves are dried up, so all the marine life is dead!
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Oh?

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      This should stop or be highly regulated through education. I think Jamaicans have the ability to solve this problem.
                      Oh, they do?

Comment

OK, I will check out the sea bass.

You know what I have been eating and love it? Rainbow trout.

Every now and then buy the rainbow trout from Costco (head on and all). I take it home, the fish is already fully cleaned. I split the fish all the way down the middle from head to tail, opening it into two halves while not separating the two halves. I then sprinkle some seasoning salt on both sides (inner flesh and the outer skin side). Next I smear some Walkers Wood jerk seasoning on the flesh inside and place it on the grill, skin side to the heat. In about 20 to 30 minutes I take it off, fully cooked and it is amazing! The skin side which contacted the grill is crispy and the flesh side just spicy, succulent jerk. Absolutely delicious!

I said earlier that I do it every now and then as the fish sold at Costco is labelled as farm raised. There is a big deal about eating a lot of farm raised fish as there is concern about the conditions under which they are raised and what they have been fed. The good thing about the rainbow trout is that it needs clean running cold water in which to grow. So I think it is not too bad to eat every now and then.

Try it when you get a chance.
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                          OK, I will check out the sea bass.

You know what I have been eating and love it? Rainbow trout.

Every now and then buy the rainbow trout from Costco (head on and all). I take it home, the fish is already fully cleaned. I split the fish all the way down the middle from head to tail, opening it into two halves while not separating the two halves. I then sprinkle some seasoning salt on both sides (inner flesh and the outer skin side). Next I smear some Walkers Wood jerk seasoning on the flesh inside and place it on the grill, skin side to the heat. In about 20 to 30 minutes I take it off, fully cooked and it is amazing! The skin side which contacted the grill is crispy and the flesh side just spicy, succulent jerk. Absolutely delicious!

I said earlier that I do it every now and then as the fish sold at Costco is labelled as farm raised. There is a big deal about eating a lot of farm raised fish as there is concern about the conditions under which they are raised and what they have been fed. The good thing about the rainbow trout is that it needs clean running cold water in which to grow. So I think it is not too bad to eat every now and then.

Try it when you get a chance.
                          Thanks, Tilla! Your best piece of descriptive writing, right at lunch time. Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes, I have had lion fish! It eat good!

The way to get more people to eat it, especially Jamaican man, is, tell dem it good fi dem back, that mek yuh gwaan like a lion in bed.

The fish would be endangered in a few short months!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You are welcome, from the kitchen of Chef Tilla.

Comment

Working...
                              X