RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDowl, do you remember a bread called ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornation used to run tings fe real. CC was closer to where my family lived so I probably went there more often but bwoy nothing like the hot bread from Cornation.

CC were the ones that had the Holey Bulla right?
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
      I remember gratto very well.

HL, there is another bread I am not sure if you remember, but it was available in Westmoreland. I have not seen it in my sojourn to ST. Elizabeth and later Kingston/St Andrew. The name was John Tannup, and it was baked with a distinctly sharp point at one end. Was usual to purchase and eat hot just out of the oven.
      Indeed Tilla!

Another unique bread was Peg-Bread.

It was comprised of 12 rolls joined together. It was the ideal breakfast bread with a cup of chocolate tea.

As to Gratto--the original taste was close to bread made from sour-dough. Other bakeries tried to 'manufacture' it...but could not replicate the recipe. As mentioned the the original thread, the baker passed away and carried the secret to the original recipe.

It's like CocoBread. today's version is not like the original. The cocobread i knew was made with Lard . It was extremely oily, flakey on the inside-- and (knowing what I know today) ...unhealthy--but bloody good!!!
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I remember peg bread. I remember in primary school, there was this woman who would sell peg bread with small cuts of meat. Kids would go and say "Miss Green, one bread one meat!"

Coco bread was good back in the day. I guess the rastas didn't know that lard was being used in the product.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

yeah man. Haven't heard that in a long time. LOL...
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Portie had a lot of good bakeries. These 3 were on West Street:

Bennett (for the slice bread -- what we termed sandwich bread) in that pretty wrapper

Three Star Lion Bakery (nice crust)

Bennett & Three Star were side by side!

Coronation - a few yards away on the opposite side of the road
            (1 slice a cheese and 2 slice a bread)

And CC going toward Boundbrook (West Palm Ave.) just by Bog Bridge!

On a Saturday we used to run jostle to get the hot bread from the bakery. The buyer cut off the bread end and turn that side down in the bag. One night after I had my fill of the bread end, my cousin came, cut off the end, try to turn -- but the other end gone. Sunday morning, my grandmother exclaimed hehe - dem nuh mek bread wid end anymore!
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

then there is the "duck bread".....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

'Surprisingly', one of the best Duck Bread I have had is baked in the Bronx on Eastchester rd.

The head always goes first!!

That same location does an alligator bread too.

HL

Comment

Every local bakery was good, Sass.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah but Cornation Bakery was Great. You know it when man from town have fi get them bread a Cornation when they come a Portie
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      Bet it's not authentic...not the real McCoy.

I recall in the 70's...hearing that the baker passed away--and did not leave the recipe. That other baking establishments attempted to make Gratto, but did not [closely] replicate the original flavor. They got the shape, but not the taste.

Maybe Karl or King Jawge can help with this one.
                      Was that was not Gratto.

I remember a product that was a type of biscuit produced by a bakery on Market St in MoBay. The name of the product slips me. mmmm? Was the name of the product Regal or was that the name of the bakery?

It was rumored that the baker of that product died without leaving his recipe.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Regal was excellent too Karl.

It was a large biscuit/cracker-like crispy product.

Like the original Gratto, Regal is not around.

HL

Comment

Why is it surprising?

Some of the best Jamaican baked product is on White Plains Rd in the Bronx. between Champion and Kingston Bakery.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                            Regal was excellent too Karl.

It was a large biscuit/cracker-like crispy product.

Like the original Gratto, Regal is not around.
                            Bwoy, HL?
                            It is great to have you as a Shady Pines bredren!
                            ...and you just straightened me out on the name of the product being Regal!
                            tenk yuh, sah!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Dem post yah, nice!
                              Jogs di memory...what's left of it!
                              Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                                Why is it surprising?

Some of the best Jamaican baked product is on White Plains Rd in the Bronx. between Champion and Kingston Bakery.
                                You are right Assasin.

(....some of the best reggae music are composed off-shore. Yes?)

NOTE; I placed surprisingly in "...."

HL

Comment

Working...
                                X