RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDowl, do you remember a bread called ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDowl, do you remember a bread called ....

Grato?

It was only available in the western part of the Island. If i am not mistaken, it was baked and distributed from Montego Bay.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Not true, Grato was/is still popular in front of Ardenne ,guh ask fi di Gratto man.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Bet it's not authentic...not the real McCoy.

I recall in the 70's...hearing that the baker passed away--and did not leave the recipe. That other baking establishments attempted to make Gratto, but did not [closely] replicate the original flavor. They got the shape, but not the taste.

Maybe Karl or King Jawge can help with this one.

HL

Comment

Why you think Grato bread is only available in Western Jamaica??

Next time ask first. You brite....... LOL
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well say dat,if yuh waan sample it and connosuer it and report back to the site fine,Grotto wid butter.10 ardenne road...Grotto man
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I remember gratto very well.

HL, there is another bread I am not sure if you remember, but it was available in Westmoreland. I have not seen it in my sojourn to ST. Elizabeth and later Kingston/St Andrew. The name was John Tannup, and it was baked with a distinctly sharp point at one end. Was usual to purchase and eat hot just out of the oven.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Why you think Grato bread is only available in Western Jamaica??

Next time ask first. You brite....... LOL
              Well, I wudden be surprised if a few Gratto(sp) found it's way to Portland ...but it's a Western thing that.

HL

Comment

Port Antonio used to have some EXCELLENT bakery and bread back in the day fe real. Used to look forward to visiting my grandmother for that.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Let me answer on this thread, because you mention Mo Bay, I believe you are talking about a big biscuit called Regal, from a pastry bakery on Market St.

Gratto is some what a biscuit in Lucea, a large fluffy dough that you could slice in two and slap some salt butter on it, uuummmm, the last time I ask about it, they said it was too expensive to make, flour price rise in the 80's.

Comment

Make HL gwwaan talk. Him never had a Cornation Bakery or 3 Star Lion bakery hot bread and cheese yet. We a take bout read bread here, and Cornation Grotto bread was the bomb. You use to have CC down a boundbrook too but Cornation and 3 Star Lion Bakery did a lick hot.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Western ting, no sah. East man ah eat dem bread from wi yeye deh ah knee (big, small all kina size). Ah dat ah nuh yahsuh.

Comment

I am from Eastern Jamaica and it was available!
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          Port Antonio used to have some EXCELLENT bakery and bread back in the day fe real. Used to look forward to visiting my grandmother for that.

Tell him fi mi Islandman.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

JC tuh ... it was not available at campion in my time. when order it at jc though you had to say it a certain way wid yuh face screw .... suh mi hear

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I have a lot of family in Eastern Jamaica. From my childhood days, I remember them speaking fondly of gratto, bassanova and other specialty bread. There were numerous popular bakeries all around Portland and St Thomas. For numerous decades there were informal competitions among them. The older ones of you may have heard this expression and the follow up question: "Buff Bay Baker Boys Bake Bad Butter Bread.....How many B's are in that?"

By the way, since the 60's, I have enjoyed many different types of bread products, include gratto, all over Jamaica.
                              "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Working...
                              X