Business culture about posers not results — JJ Geewax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business culture about posers not results — JJ Geewax

Hmmm, as much as it stings, maybe we need to hear this from an outsider now and then.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...eewax_17087543

JJ Geewax, founder of JGX Labs, a local-based technology incubator, described the culture of business in Jamaica as containing posers more concerned with appearances than solid results.

"There seems to be this huge attachment to image and flashiness," he indicated in his address to the Private Sector Organisation of Jamaica (PSOJ) at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel on Thursday morning.
    We expend inordinate amounts of money trying to look fancy. You can actually get loans to finance your carnival costume. I cannot say that I understand that in the slightest," he said which results in sustained murmurs from the over 100 corporate Jamaicans in attendance. "They would buy a fancy car and get locked into these loan payments and I would ask why. I don't feel that we ask why anymore. Nobody is asking why."
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

This morning I was reflecting on how we get to a point where we produce nothing but import everything. It is the same "man have nuff car, phone and gal" thing.

Oil our number one import, because of the amount of private cars and no good public transportation system in place, and we don't use bikes, and bicycle unless we use can't afford a car. As for everybody having 2 and 3 phones, how productive is that? That coupling with selling JPS with no plan to upgrade it made it worst. Can you imagine if JPS had done some real progressive improvement to its systems 10 years ago??

Nobody is really investing in creativity, manufacturing etc. and we are overrun with import and concessions. Now are at a point where our exports are dependent on imports so we just buy a few glitters from overseas and think we actually growing Jamaica.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yes our best innovations have been mostly in entertainment and to a limited extent tourism. There is a creative spirit in Jamaicans but it often does not get much further than at the street hustler level.

Any culture change will have to come from the youths starting at a fairly early stage in their development. I am hoping that Professor Errol Morrison can bring some energy and change in this area in his new role as Science and Technology Czar.

In some of the projects I am involved with including the summer camp link I posted we are trying to get that message of technical innovation and creativity across.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yeah man good luck. Only younger minds can change the mindset. The problem is getting it on the streets.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

People like to blame government and politicians for everything and say we need to empower the business class.

The problem is that the business class shares the same DNA as politicians & bureaucrats.. i.e. backwardness

Cultural change towards innovation and actually making products or software services instead of mere trading is most difficult but must be done. The issue is... how?????

It is that backward public & private sector DNA which causes lack of support for potentially revolutionary programs like Robotics or Digital Yard.... but wi affi juss gwaan run tings until the backward elements ketch up.

Mi dun wid di idealist, nationalist approach fi now
          As mi tell yuh wi affi bring in some foreign branding like US FIRST Robotics fi get people fi respek di ting. Mi deal wid di head guy dem and dem definitely eager fi jump pon JA case intamede

Foreign mind run di cut suh betta wi werk wid dat
          Last edited by Don1; July 4, 2014, 02:12 PM.
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            Any culture change will have to come from the youths starting at a fairly early stage in their development. I am hoping that Professor Errol Morrison can bring some energy and change in this area in his new role as Science and Technology Czar.
            unless dis guy ave a substantial budget and willpower fi actually fund projects.... ah bayh yappin an' posing agguh gwaan. Don't hold your breath

memba mi tole yuh

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Yeah I think you might be right. Going to investigate that route further after we get through the summer events.

Comment

Jamaicans are by nature are some "show off" kind of people. Not sure that will change anytime soon.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

By nature or nurture? I would go with nurture on this one.

Showing off when you have it is one thing, but when you showing off with borrowed funds and things...that is digging your own grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    Yeah I think you might be right. Going to investigate that route further after we get through the summer events.
                    When yuh look pon it....based on the werk done in the past 5 years... all the pieces are in place for the revolution to flourish

Mi ave one simple moggle fi knit di pieces together suh mek wi link bout September

Comment

I should not paint Jamaicans with such a broad brush as I have done in my previous post. Not all Jamaicans are like that, but there is indeed a culture of "show off" in the country.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Reggaedoc's Point All Along

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                        People like to blame government and politicians for everything and say we need to empower the business class.

The problem is that the business class shares the same DNA as politicians & bureaucrats.. i.e. backwardness
                        I fully share your view.

Also, several times in the past Reggaedoc has made a this observation about the weakness and backwardness of our business community. I cannot recall the specific sarcastic phrase he used to describe them, but I always thought that he hit the nail squarely on the head.

Comment

ok boss

Comment

Nuff ah dem waan call demselves Don...

Comment

Working...
                            X