• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new favourite chune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh2xe4jnpk&feature=kp

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Well done!

Comment

my new favourite chune.... try listening to it before watching the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg1sT4ILG0w
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Over 32 million hits!!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Respect, Jangle!

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          my new favourite chune.... try listening to it before watching the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg1sT4ILG0w
          This is actually an interesting recording. The beauty is in the lyrical and musical simplicity.

I’ve never before heard of Nico and Vinz, but off the top of my head at this moment, I would guess that they’re South Africans. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong (I am simply guessing), but the sound reminds me of the type of stuff that often emanates from studios in Johannesburg, Pretoria, etc.

The musical strength is obviously the arrangement. It starts off with a simple guitar rhythm (sounds like a combination of acoustic and electric guitars) which never changes throughout the entire song. What the arranger/musicians have done is build the intensity with drums, percussion, vocal harmony, keyboards and horns. The intensity/dynamics varies throughout the song, building and then dropping at times.

Aside from the dynamics (build-up), the only thing that really experiences any significant change is the harmonizing voices. Everything else is a mixture of dynamic effects, including crescendos.

By the way, as far as guitar-influenced modern popular music is concerned, I often use the Eagles’ excellent recording, “Hotel California,” as my starting point! The incredible dual guitar solos of Don Felder and Joe Walsh is the type of stuff that stands as a beacon!

Thanks for posting “Am I Wrong”, boss!

Comment

Wow. I was surprised when I watched the video after hearing it on the radio. Firstly I was shocked that it was two singers and that they were black. Their voices blend together as one and listening to them I couldn't differentiate the voices. They are from Norway.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

My new favorite Jamaican tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k17_...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Love it..

Comment

Truly Beautiful Recording!!

Originally posted by LannyD View Post
                  Wonderful post, LannyD! This is a beautiful, well-arranged recording.

Listening to the first bar or two, I thought I was watching/listening to someone miming Tessanne Chin, but Abby Dallas’ “From My Heart” is an EXCELLENT reggae recording! I hope I’m not overusing the word “excellent”, but I have to call it honestly! Every day I am realizing more and more that great reggae music is being produced, as my friend Assasin never tires of reminding me here on this forum.

Abby Dallas can sing (really lovely voice!), and she is young and beautiful, all recipes for success in our modern media-driven music industry! Whether any of us likes it or not, long gone are the days of the dreadlocked, “roots-looking” male and female reggae singers. In fact, the change actually began in the 1980s with MTV and the emergence of the music video industry, but to some extent, we Jamaicans were slow to catch on (Lol: Buju did with “Driva”, as did many others)!

“From My Heart” is a beautiful, understated recording. And you know what, I love it!! Thanks for introducing me to this new reggae gem.

And speaking of love, what I truly love about these music posts is that, regardless of how much I know about music (and I know a great deal), I nevertheless ALWAYS learn from threads like these!

Respect, LannyD and Abby Dallas!

Comment

Aha! I was going to put this up 3 days ago! It maaad!

The video is wikkid too. Victoria Falls, African dancers, great photography!

Yuh have good taste, my yute!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                      I’ve never before heard of Nico and Vinz, but off the top of my head at this moment, I would guess that they’re South Africans. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong (I am simply guessing), but the sound reminds me of the type of stuff that often emanates from studios in Johannesburg, Pretoria, etc.
                      I know what you mean, Historian. It has that South African pop music feel.

Video was actually shot in Botswana and at the Victoria Falls (Zambia?). Vinz might have Ghanaian roots, from what I have been reading.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Great review sah, we have to feature artist as her, too bad there are no Radio shows that are incline to feature these artist on-line.

Comment

I LOVE it!!
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Peter: Mo's Post

Now Peter, note that Mo’s post on “Rude” by Magic was made on July 12, 2014. In other words, it was made nine days after Jangle’s.

Comment

July 12, 2014?!??! What are you looking at??!?!

Seems like July 3 to me!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X