Creativity vs Interpretation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creativity vs Interpretation

One of the thing I ask my fellow forum music critics is how much of a influence do you place on seeing someone doing a great interpretation as oppose to creativity?

I look at a group like the Mighty Diamonds and Steel Pulse who spend their times coming up with new sounds and new lyrics and may not be the trying to "better" someone else lyrics. Another is Berres Hammond as oppose to Sanchez. I think Sanchez is the better singer but no way would I rate him over Berres, because of his creativity. Sanchez is impressive and great on stage, and hold some unbelievable notes but Berres creativity and delivery make up for everything.

What percentage do you put in creativity? I look at Dennis Brown up to 1980s was a fabulous singer but his later years he did a lot of interpretation, same thing with Freddie Mcgreggor.

Let me hear the discussion.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Firstly,Sanchez is not better than Beres,baratone voice verses fine voice,in determining which singer is better one should not be predisposed to preferring one type...
    Luther Vandross was amazing,so too was Teddy P,Wee Gee etc
    Secondly,if Beres is to be credited with being the creator then wouldn't Sanchez benefit from merely following what ,in its origin, was known to be good?

Comment

Sanchez has a lot more vocal range than Beres as well. Excellent pure singer, could do any type of music if he put his mind to it.

I love a creator though, someone who produces something from nothing so Beres is for me a better overall artiste by far.

You can also be very creative while interpreting a song. Too many artistes just try to match the original as best they can. For example Maxi Priest's Wild World is an excellent interpretation of the original Cat Stevens.

BTW I see that AJ Brown is now officially Third Worlds lead singer. He had been doing the role for a while since Rugs was ill. I saw a video on them performing in Negril and his sound is similar enough to Rugs to make it still sound like Third world, which is good.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Both Are Related!!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        One of the thing I ask my fellow forum music critics is how much of a influence do you place on seeing someone doing a great interpretation as oppose to creativity?
        ‘Sass, both of them can -- and often do -- work hand-in-hand! A case in point that immediately springs to my mind is one of our most talented songwriters, Bob Andy. He wrote amazing stuff like “I’ve Got To Go Back Home” and “Feel Like Jumping,” among many others. But he also copied Joe South’s “Games People Play” and Nina Simone’s “Young, Gifted And Black” and did a fantastic, truly creative job in both cases.

The point I am making is that creativity and interpretation are often related. Or, as Islandman correctly stated it above, “You can also be creative while interpreting a song.” The reality is that you have to be creative to truly surpass someone’s original work, as Whitney Houston did with Dolly Parton’s “I’ll Always Love You,” and as the regional group Baha Men did with Trinidadian singer Anslem Douglas’ “Who Let The Dogs Out.”

Furthermore, not everyone is gifted as a songwriter.

By the way, the reverse can be seen in Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers. Perhaps if they had included some interpreted stuff within their long catalogue of original compositions, perhaps they might have been more successful.

Comment

But in judging the singer or the group, how much weight is put on creativity or original. I wouldn't mind if you answer from a personal and also a general point of view. Which figures most in liking a singer, or musician?

I agree that a good mix is good but how do you find the balance, I understand some people are not good writers but sometimes they need to get a writer/composer in their corner rather than trying to cover someone's song that will never pass the studio doors. Yeah sometimes an artist need to find a good song to cover but sometimes they need to find themselves within the music industry.

Just trying to get some opinion and encourage some reasoning.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I think they should be judged in 2 separate categories.

Some great singers and groups never wrote a song in their life and yet are considered great singers. Take the Temptations for example, SUPER group and one of my all-time favorites. They were not songwriters but Berry Gordy gave them Smokey and Norman Whitfield and no Motown group was more successful.

Sanchez with the right set of songwriters could have taken it to a whole different level. I wouldn't mark him down as a singer because he cannot write well. However I WILL mark him down for making uninspiring covers when he could do much better.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

"Sanchez with the right set of songwriters could have taken it to a whole different level. I wouldn't mark him down as a singer because he cannot write well. However I WILL mark him down for making uninspiring covers when he could do much better"

Thank you, the word "uninspiring" rings out at me. Very good singer but could have left a bigger mark on his fans. As Historian pointed out that some cover like Whitney "I will always love you" and "The Greatest love of All" is nothing uninspiring at all.

Comment

Sass, has he (Sanchez) ever done an original piece of work? He might be in the business for almost 30 years, and I cannot recall an original piece from him.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

he did a few. "Never dis the man with title" is the major hit I can remember.

Comment

OK, don't know of it.

Thanks
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Excellent song with a gospel influence. He had another one of a similar style named Praise Him. The guy can sing!

Comment

yes it came to my mind but I wasn't 100 percent sure so I didn't mention it and they were pretty late in his career.

Comment

Another overlooked Whitney Houston interpretation is Marilyn mcCoo's saving sll my love for you...

Mighty Diamonds rendition of Randy Newman's Baltimore is a fantastic example also

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It depends on the resulting product. In other words it is an assessment that can only be made after the fact IMHO

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Re: Baltimore

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              Another overlooked Whitney Houston interpretation is Marilyn mcCoo's saving sll my love for you...

Mighty Diamonds rendition of Randy Newman's Baltimore is a fantastic example also
                              I definitely agree with you on the first one (Whitney Houston), boss. However, are you sure that the Mighty Diamonds also recorded “Baltimore”? I seem to recall only the Tamlins recording that.

Comment

Working...
                              X