X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time out, Delroy and Shirley

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Dear Editor,
    I note with utter amazement each week the precious column space given to JLP senator Shirley Williams in the Observer and JLP member of parliament Delroy Chuck in the Gleaner, and I wonder is, it just me or do others have a problem with politicians being given op-ed space to state their political cause, and to further their agendas?

One may argue that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a politician writing a weekly column, and while that may be debatable, it is my opinion that with the country moving so close to a general election, it is unethical and wrong for either newspaper to be allowing politicians to promote their political views and ultimately that of their party, which is what both individuals are doing.
    What is unfortunate is that it seems as though both papers have totally insulated themselves against the reality that we are in an election mode, by claiming to be publishing these articles "in the public's interest", because you have never sought to ensure that these "columnists" abide by any of the following journalistic principles:
    .Maintain independence, and at the same time establish impartiality and non-partisanship.
    . Make certain that care, accuracy and fairness are exercised in the press.
    . Protect against ostentation and overall tone of these articles being manipulated by advocates and special interests, such as a political party.
    With the impending general elections, the public needs more informative discourse on issues that affect their daily lives. They want analytical pieces on the economy, they want their newspapers to satirise issues, including entertainment, business and politics, but all from an objective source that reflects reality.
    As far as I am concerned, neither "columnist" has ever displayed any sort of fairness or objectivity, plus their levels of partisanship are being taken to new heights.
    It is clear that this situation needs to be re-assessed, and it is very important for the media to be mindful of this. You have to understand the psychology of your readers in order to offer a product they can appreciate.
    Both Senator Williams and Mr Chuck, in their capacities as Opposition spokespersons, already have a platform to express their views. They can even do so in the form of press releases rather than hide behind the veil of being "columnists". I think they should be given "time out".

Councillor Milton Russell
    russell_milton@yahoo.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Suh now they want to shut up those from the other side? I say it all the while, Jamaica is PNP country. Isn't Ronnie Thwaites and Trevor Monroe on the air? Why where is the call for time out for them?

This bredda need fi be honest wid himself. Instead of calling for a timeout for Chuck and Shirley, him need fi call fi a time out fi him party. Since 72 the only time we moved forward was when the PNP was in exile. Then again dem only business wid winning 5th term!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Suh now they want to shut up those from the other side? I say it all the while, Jamaica is PNP country. Isn't Ronnie Thwaites and Trevor Monroe on the air? Why where is the call for time out for them?

This bredda need fi be honest wid himself. Instead of calling for a timeout for Chuck and Shirley, him need fi call fi a time out fi him party. Since 72 the only time we moved forward was when the PNP was in exile. Then again dem only business wid winning 5th term!
      But Lazie, as you say this is PNP country for better or for worse.

Comment

Working...
      X