RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who remember the Central Park jogger case...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who remember the Central Park jogger case...?

Well well well...

New York was real interesting during those times.

WHO REMEMBER the subway vigilante , Bernhard Goetz? What about Donald Manes, Queensboro president who killed himself because of corruption. Everyone should remember the Twanna Brawly case(sp?). And much later Abner Louima was assaulted by NY finest.

Anyway gats to lift your hat to the US justice system in this case.

The the 5 boys in the central park jogger case are now free.

Here:http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...r-case-n136841
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Watched a documentary on the Central Park 5 just a few months ago on Netflix. It is really troubling the things that can happen to you when you look a certain way and are from a certain part of town. We also need to remember this kind of thing happens not just in the USA but anywhere that basic human rights are violated.

I may have mentioned on the forum before that when i was a teenager visiting the Bronx I actually met one of the youths involved in the Bernie Goetz case. He was still in a wheelchair resulting from the gunshot and eventually died I believe. Honestly though, I have mixed feelings about the Goetz case as I do think they were planning to rob him. However Goetz clearly lost it and went past the point of just defending himself.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

...and in places that do not have the legal structure as the US, lots of innocent individuals spend their lives behind bars till death.

Yeah, Goetz was protecting himself. He just went overboard.

New York City has changed; 'specially in the area of 'quality of life' issues.

BTW: Don't know if it's mind over matter, but do you notice that the Bronx and Harlem have a very high incidence of black men in wheelchairs?

HL

Comment

Documentary exposed racial profiling, the Guiliani years......Animals he said .
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yes sir, mi just reach America at that time. Heard about the $40M settlement today and can you believe Bloomberg had fought restitution??

Bloomberg is a despicable politician & much worse that Giuliani.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Nothing beats Guiallini.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I do not share most of Giuliani's politics--but i admire his management style:

HL

Comment

Same here. New York is a much better place to live today than it was in the 80s and Giuliani has a lot to do with that. Made his share of screw-ups but he got a lot right too.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

good eye islandman!!!!

HL

Comment

Probably not mind over matter. It is also common on the South Side of Chicago and South Central LA. Product of gang warfare.

Comment

Goetz case left a bitter taste in my mouth.There is a difference in getting arrested by a normal cop and a racist one.I doubt Goetz would've shot a group of young caucasians.That changes everything.

Comment

X 100% on that nothing beats Guiliani in anything, there goes one hell of a scary dude.

Comment

Well according to Freakonimcs, it was not him, but Rowe v Wade that cleaned up NYC. Legal abortions meant way less single moms and way less delinquency that became a virtuous demographic wave...

Comment

I have heard that explanation, as well as the much-criticized war on drugs/crack but neither can explain why Chicago for example has not had the same level of success with crime levels as NYC has had. Chicago murder rates are almost as bad as it was in the 80s. Crime has dropped in most US cities but in NYC the rate of progress was above trend for a long time.

The turnaround that has occurred in NYC is quite special for a major city. Not just crime but overall quality of life. Times Square is a pleasant place to be in today while in the 80s it was a glorified whorehouse. When I visited NYC as a teenager no relative wanted to take me to Harlem, today Harlem is a "must-visit" anytime I am in the city.

There is almost never ONE person who can claim all responsibility. David Dinkins for example, deserves more credit than he has been given for starting the trend but to deny that Gulianis management and zero tolerance policies of the city played a part is just not reasonable. If the NYC inner cities were still like Chicagos he and Bloomberg would have got all the blame.

His biggest fault, I think, was that he gave the NYPD too much leeway and that led to abuse of power in many cases.

Comment

Also, while it may be true that his management of the 911 crisis has been sold and oversold, I was close to the Katrina crisis in New Orleans and saw firsthand what poor local leadership of a major crisis is like. Giuliani was a tower of strength through that 911 crisis and it was an easy one to screw up.

Comment

Working...
                              X