Free Library:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Library:

This is not a novel concept. I have seen it in parts of Europe and even in the town that i live.

In our town, free libraries are generally located in Parks.

The libraries are built to withstand weather of all kinds...and hold up to 20-100 books. Take a book, return a book.

Basically, the free library is a box full of books where anyone can stop and pick-up a book--or leave a book. [You can even keep a book if you really like it ].

This would be a great idea that Jamaica could adopt.
    Last edited by HL; June 18, 2014, 02:21 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

books are those things from the 90's right?

Comment

Well before the '90 BT !!

I would estimate that book were in full swing ~ 2560-2550 BCE using the papyrus plant.

Just ordered 3 book from amazon. One came two days ago. The other 2 should arrive tomorrow.

Books will still be fashionable well after I die.

HL

Comment

In my town there is a library in the mall. Very convenient.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Free library?

HL

Comment

HL...yuh nuh have tablet?

Comment

Yes I do. Use it to download books whenever I am going on vacation.

There is a tactile aspect to reading that I am still addicted to....

But in the case of free library, placing tablets into boxes in public places in jamaica would not be a good idea

HL

Comment

Yup. I never really came across a paying library other than in Jamaica back in the days.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  HL...yuh nuh have tablet?
                  I do not know, but I have a tablet and a number of technical books in PDF format on it. Nothing beats havig a hard copy on hand however. I do not think hard-copy books and tablets are mutually exclusive.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Not yet, but eventually. I never buy a hard copy anymore unless it is unavailable in Electronic format, especially Kindle. Much better reading experience. You can highlight, bookmark, google and more right in the document.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Islandman, as they say, old habits die hard. I know all you are saying about how you can highlight, bookmark etc in electronic format. I guess in time I will get used to the electronic only format.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I know what you mean. There are still a few places that I am more comfortable with reading a paper book, for example by the beach or pool. Other than that though, its electronic for me. Even most of my magazine subscriptions these days are electronic downloads to a tablet.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                        X