• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever see someone play a guitar like this yet

This has a mento feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5F59PkcDWM

Do it your way. Lovely!
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Skills,nice.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Incredible Stuff!

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      This has a mento feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5F59PkcDWM

Do it your way. Lovely!
      I’man, this woman is amazing!! And I mean genuinely amazing!

Her left-hand technique is completely unorthodox, and both hands hit the notes with an awesome precision. Her folk rhythm flows even when she intersperses the repeated melody parts (the high notes).

Can you imagine the scenario if this obviously talented woman had lived in, say, North America and had access to instruments along with opportunities for formal and informal education?

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        I’man, this woman is amazing!! And I mean genuinely amazing!

Her left-hand technique is completely unorthodox, and both hands hit the notes with an awesome precision. Her folk rhythm flows even when she intersperses the repeated melody parts (the high notes).

Can you imagine the scenario if this obviously talented woman had lived in, say, North America and had access to instruments along with opportunities for formal and informal education?

I was thinking the same thing!

Historian, is it possible for a formal education to hinder her ability? Before yuh trace mi, please remember I was quite adept on the piano until i found football. Actually, football found me, but that's another story!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

is it possible for a formal education to hinder her ability?
          That crossed my mind as well. Well not her ability, but her creativity.

I think it depends on who the teacher is.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Good Question! Compare Stanley Jordan

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            I was thinking the same thing!

Historian, is it possible for a formal education to hinder her ability? Before yuh trace mi, please remember I was quite adept on the piano until i found football. Actually, football found me, but that's another story!
            Mo, boss, I have absolutely no reason to even think of tracing you! Why should I (lol)?

You have asked a very good question, in my opinion. Yes, it is possible for a formal education to hinder her creativity, as I’man stated. A formal education might most likely make her become an even better and more knowledgeable player, but her peculiar method of playing would almost certainly undergo a radical change.

What could formal training have done to this woman? Check out the excellent jazz guitarist Stanley Jordan in this YouTube link. His technique bears some slight similarity to that of the African woman, but you’ll agree I’m sure, that Jordan is by far the more creative and advanced of the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMrBYlwHqU

This is the direction in which a formal education might have channeled that naturally creative African woman.

Comment

Working...
            X