Whats the fuss about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the fuss about

Shearer banning books? What books did he ban? How the fornication the banning of some books is going to give the people the impression that they shouldn't read? Unuh have sense? Was it Shearer alone that banned books? How unuh naah bitch about Norman Manley banning books tuh? Oh ... I get it, Norman is a comrade therefore what him duh was okay.

Court Jesters, its time to get with reality. At this point we're ranked only ahead of Haiti. I know some of you unthinking people may see that as progress, but for the rest its time to call a spade a spade.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Was Norman Manley a barrister against Marcus Garvey in a criminal case?

interesting
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What books did Norman Manley ban? Also, if you don't understand the significance of the banning of literature then you're out to lunch. You should ask Bruce if he intends to make that a part of future JLP policy since it worked so well in the so-called glory years of JLP administrations. i suspect his answer might make you understand what the fuss was about. sometimes you guys get so rediculous that you defend things that the present JLP dont even defend. I have personally heard Bruce say that the banning of books by the JLP was wrong, I have personally heard Bruce say that the involvement of the JLP in violence in the past was wrong. As the only leader who has admitted past mistakes instead of pretending they didnt happen he should be commended. Now let's see if he can walk the talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

interesting
        Uh, uh...

So maybe Shearer was just a student of Norman Manley...

"It was in his native Jamaica that Garvey experienced the worst opposition. He was attacked regularly, and in the cruelest manner, by the forces of reaction--mainly by the plantocracy, the light-skinned petty bourgeoisie, and by the country's dominant newspaper, The Daily Gleaner. A statement in his party platform condemning the local judiciary earned him the charge of sedition, for which he was convicted and given a prison sentence. While Garvey was in prison, one of the country's pre-eminent barristers, Norman Manley (who later became premier), was among those who engineered a move to deny him the City Council seat to which he was elected. The move was not successful, and from his Council position Garvey fought on "behalf of the masses by giving notice that he would be moving resolutions in favour of a minimum wage and an eight-hour working day."

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
          What books did Norman Manley ban? Also, if you don't understand the significance of the banning of literature then you're out to lunch. You should ask Bruce if he intends to make that a part of future JLP policy since it worked so well in the so-called glory years of JLP administrations. i suspect his answer might make you understand what the fuss was about. sometimes you guys get so rediculous that you defend things that the present JLP dont even defend. I have personally heard Bruce say that the banning of books by the JLP was wrong, I have personally heard Bruce say that the involvement of the JLP in violence in the past was wrong. As the only leader who has admitted past mistakes instead of pretending they didnt happen he should be commended. Now let's see if he can walk the talk.
          Lawd GAD ... Rudi, stop acting like Jawge. Where you get the impression I'm defending the banning of books? All I'm saying is unuh a mek a big fuss over nothing. If people wanted to read there were other books.

"What books did Norman Manley ban?" Talk to one of the founders of the PNP named Richard Hart! I'm not fussing about it, just pointing out that both PNP and JLP dweet! Suh why unuh waan demonize Shearer. The man was Prime Minister ... Not God. Because man nuh waan give the man credit for what he did with the economy unuh waan bitch bout banning books? Playboy magazines were banned in my home ... I still can read.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

interesting
            Same one! That why I find it hypocritical that poppyshows waan come quote Garvey now!

Comment

Oh, we understand the significance of banning of 'Literature' and in the case with Shearer it has nothing to do with promoting illiteracy in Adults. Books were banned in 1st World Countries, Developing Nations and 3rd World Countries and for many of the same reasons.. the levels of Adult Literacy across the spectrum is irrelevant.

Trying to associate the two is disingenous and stupid.

Comment

I wasnt aware that anyone was demonising Shearer I certainly wasnt. His performance wasnt any economic miracle it only looks that way in comparison to the economic performance of the eighteen years of the PNP. He was totally out to lunch on the changes taking place at the time hence his banning of books and instructing the police to shoot first and ask questions later, something that his finance minister didnt like especially when it was done to his Tivoli constituents go figure.

Comment

That's ridiculous, assasin! Because someone defends another that means that...yuh know what, mek mi low it. I refuse to be sucked into this cesspool!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"If people wanted to read there were other books."

Haha!

"Let them eat cake!"

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                      I wasnt aware that anyone was demonising Shearer I certainly wasnt. His performance wasnt any economic miracle it only looks that way in comparison to the economic performance of the eighteen years of the PNP. He was totally out to lunch on the changes taking place at the time hence his banning of books and instructing the police to shoot first and ask questions later, something that his finance minister didnt like especially when it was done to his Tivoli constituents go figure.
                      Well, all the bickering about banning books started as soon as I mentioned Shearer as PM yesterday. Rudi, let me mek miself clear. All our leaders mek mistakes, including Seaga and Shearer. However at the end of the day our economy did SIGNIFICANTLY better under all JLP administrations than ANY PNP administration. Who waan vex can vex. Thats a FACT.

I read where the Taking Responsibility people dem tried to sugar coat what was achieved under the JLP gov't up to 1972, mi see where Court Jester Jawge and other apologist round here claimed that in the 80s we benefitted from the USA. Well, I don't give a rat a$$ if they made a deal with the devil. As long as they move the country forward ethically and legally and I have a means fi better my life I have no problem.

Comment

Mosiah it is just as ridiculos as some of the garbage been posted above and in the name of politics.

It is amazing how we see one side as evil and the other as innocent without even looking at history.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          "If people wanted to read there were other books."

Haha!

"Let them eat cake!"
                          Laugh all yuh want! My grandmother laid down the law that no playboy mags must be in the house. Well, I had to obey, but if I wanted, there was hustler.

Comment

Perhaps you are right. But do you have to add to the trash?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Poor granny. I guess she thought Hustler magazine offered ways to hustle a money.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X