RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember My Top 15 Greatest Musicians List?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember My Top 15 Greatest Musicians List?

Remember My Top 15 Greatest J’can Musicians List (posted on May 18, 2014)?

The use of the adjective “Greatest” as the subject line for my post meant just that: incomparable. But what exactly did I mean by that in the Jamaican context?

The link I’m providing is for a Monty Alexander performance (live). We all know the simple but beautiful hymn, “What A Friend We Have In Jesus.” Well, hear what this hymn becomes when interpreted by a truly, truly great Jamaican musician:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2xtUrS26y4

The sheer beauty of Monty’s performance here, for the music aficionados among us, is in his superb selection of notes (both melody and harmony), his excellent technique (in both hands), and in the overall improvisation.

Monty is classic.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

You Are Indeed Correct!

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
      Monty is classic.
      You are certainly correct, Tilla!

I rank Monty Alexander right up there with the world’s greatest jazz pianists, and I’m referring here to true international giants of the piano like the late Oscar Peterson. The fact that he has appeared with legends of jazz like Jean-Luc Ponty, George Benson, Clark Terry, Ray Brown, Milt Jackson, Billy Taylor, and Al Dimeola, just to name a few, is a testimony to the huge respect with which Monty is regarded in the hierarchy of international jazz.

But what I also admire about him, in addition to his immense musical capabilities, is his steadfast recognition of and commitment to his Jamaican culture. This man graces some of the world’s most famous venues and stages, but he keeps coming back to our homegrown culture, as can be seen in his numerous recordings of songs by Bob Marley and others.

Trust me, we have Jamaican world class musicians, a few of whom I recognized in my original Top 15 List.

Comment

Monty is classic.
        Compliments of 189 Old Hope Road Music Inc
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Compliments of 189 Old Hope Road Music Inc
          Remind me of the significance of the address again? Is this Sangster's Book Store or Golden Dragon Restaurant?

BTW, do those two entities still exist?
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Remind me of the significance of the address again?
            It's just one of the most noteworthy addresses in the entire Caribbean.... and epicenter of Jamaica's emerging Silicon Gully
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
            X