Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Veteran Deported to Jamaica

A US veteran, deported and struggling in Jamaica

BOHEMIA, Jamaica (AP) — Howard Bailey joined the U.S. Navy straight out of high school in Brooklyn figuring he would see the world. He didn't expect to end up back in his native Jamaica, raising pigs and barely getting by in the poor village of his childhood.

The 43-year-old father of two was deported in May 2012 from the U.S. to his Caribbean homeland because he was convicted of a marijuana-related felony drug charge in 1997 — despite the four years he served in the Navy, including a few months on a supply ship during the first Gulf War

more
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Sad, but there is no hope for him because it is a felony drug conviction. Here is a more detailed article.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...l#.U5E5l013tMs
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

That's tough and sad.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Its a hopeless case unfortunately.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

dang! i cannot imagine being torn from my family like that....don't even want to try to imagine...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            dang! i cannot imagine being torn from my family like that....don't even want to try to imagine...
            The Obama administration is reviewing pardon applications for thousands of cases with mandatory drug sentences for people still in prison. He is out of prison but maybe he should try for a Presidential pardon. If he gets the pardon then an immigration judge may be able to give him back the green card or his wife may be able for file for him.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/house-gop...rdon-attorneys
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Sad. Question - was it an innocent act to allow someone you hardly knew to ship boxes to your address - the house you share with your family? As a trucker he lost his street smarts.

The man would have had had to find a post office box or have them delivered to base.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Some facts are missing and that's his side of the story. Maybe he thought he could make some quick $$$$$.

Comment

Heard another one , about a young man got busted in PA for ganja,did his probation for a spliff, 2 years passed , got a speeding ticket in NY and went to pay it only to be held by Immigration,deported ...this was when the Duduss thing was going down.

A spliff is a serious thing in the immigration process.
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Him wife lef him long time and find new man...yuh never read the story...

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                      Him wife lef him long time and find new man...yuh never read the story...
                      Yup. I just saw something else, the private facility. Private facility needs customers in order to make a profit. That is what is driving the arrests.

Then I was shackled in chains with a group of other men and flown 2,000 miles to the Otero immigration processing center, a private facility run under contract with ICE in the high desert outside of Las Cruces, New Mexico

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...#ixzz33ygUWaMJ

Comment

Well, I don't know. Seems to be mostly a policy thing.

It is a little known fact that the Obama administration has been deporting people at a faster rate than any other administration. I think it is good policy because for the most part the people being deported are convicted felons.

Unfortunately this guy got caught up in a bad situation and appears to have been given bad advice. Assuming of course that what he is saying is true.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          Assuming of course that what he is saying is true.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                            Well, I don't know. Seems to be mostly a policy thing.

It is a little known fact that the Obama administration has been deporting people at a faster rate than any other administration. I think it is good policy because for the most part the people being deported are convicted felons.

Unfortunately this guy got caught up in a bad situation and appears to have been given bad advice. Assuming of course that what he is saying is true.
                            Little know fact? The Hispanic and Black community have been raising their voices about it!

Comment

Such a pity that Jamaica is not a progressive place--where if you are deported, you simply say thanks!!

Lot's of folks would deport themselves (voluntarily) .
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X