No announcement yet.

Your car can be hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, the fob has a built-in key for such emergencies.

Just squeeze the release button on the fob and pull.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
      Most cars I know they ignition key can be used to manually open the doors if the remote fails. I cannot say for sure about VW, but I cannot think why they would make it totally keyless.
      You are assuming that it has an ignition key I don't know what it has, I have never driven it but I suspect that it is also keyless start. Last thing I head was her father saying that she called VW to come and open it.

I just did a Google search and I see where other VW users say that there is a slot that is hidden under a piece of plastic on the driver side. The plastic has to be pried open and it needs a key that was also shipped with the fob.
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

If those Germans designed and tested that car and didn't identify having no keys as a potential failure mode, then I just cannot believes it!

For a more expensive car, here is what they had to say:

In engineering the Keyless Access system found on the Cadillac STS and XLR, engineers made sure the cars routinely check the battery strength of the new fobs because they are so critical, said GM's Holman. So, when a battery gets low in an STS fob, the driver is alerted via a message on the dashboard, he said. As a further backup, Cadillac still provides what it calls "mechanical key access" to the vehicle.
        I just did a Google search and I see where other VW users say that there is a slot that is hidden under a piece of plastic on the driver side. The plastic has to be pried open and it needs a key that was also shipped with the fob
        I would bet the ignition slot is not really hidden. Also, the manual key is usually built into the fob, so it folds in as if you were closing a pocket knife and you only open it if you want to use it manually. Too much thought and testing go into these things for something so obvious be missed by all the checks and balances which are in place to identify these things.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

If those Germans designed and tested that car and didn't identify having no keys as a potential failure mode, then I just cannot believes it!

For a more expensive car, here is what they had to say:

.I would bet the ignition slot is not really hidden. Also, the manual key is usually built into the fob, so it folds in as if you were closing a pocket knife and you only open it if you want to use it manually. Too much thought and
          testing go into these things for something so obvious be missed by all the checks and balances which are in place to identify these things.
          You probably will lose 50% of the bet. Take a look at these two VW videos. The key hole is indeed hidden behind a piece of plastic and yes the key is inside the FOB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECOoNYZXmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvxj0gEDJss

You may also need some help to find keys on some of the VW models;
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECOoNYZXmk

My car is keyless entry and keyless start but the door key hole is not hidden and I can start it with the key by removing the top of the push start button.
          Last edited by Time; June 3, 2014, 12:40 AM.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

OK, I lose off that bet and see what you meant by the keyhole was hidden under a piece of plastic cover. I must admit that is a poor design hiding the key barrel under a cover like that on the handle.

My point though still stands that they would not have made this car without giving the user a mechanical means to open should the keyless option fail.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The plastic section on your ignition key that opens your car remotely.

LoL
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

OK, I lose off that bet and see what you meant by the keyhole was hidden under a piece of plastic cover. I must admit that is a poor design hiding the key barrel under a cover like that on the handle.

My point though still stands that they would not have made this car without giving the user a mechanical means to open should the keyless option fail.
                Lockheed Martin initially designed the F-35 without FAA approved lights on the wings but yes the Germans would not design a car that you cannot get in without a key.

The VW hidden key design is stupid. It was done to give the handle a complete wireless entry look but it is still stupid. First you have to know that a cover is hiding the key hole, then you have to know where to look for the slot that is used to pop the cover, then you have to know to pull on the door handle while popping the cover. The 3rd video also showed that its difficult to extract the manual key on some models. Granda Ma and Grand Pa better not buy a VW. Lets give VW a C+ for this system.

Comment

RTFM

Read the effing manual. That is the motto of the story.

Comment

That's exactly the solution Prince Willi.

[Few weeks ago my dash-board warned me that one of my fob battery was getting low...].
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                    X