X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus on science and technology says Jamaican chemist

Morant Bay alum doing his thing.

Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter

A JAMAICAN chemist, who was part of a group of researchers at IBM that recently created a new class of plastics known in the scientific world as polymers, has urged the country to focus more on science and technology.

The material developed by Dr Gavin Jones, who hails from St Thomas, and his team could deliver cheaper, lighter, stronger, and recyclable materials ideal for the electronics, aerospace, airlines, and automotive industries, and he believes that Jamaica has the talent that could deliver similar breakthroughs in other areas.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead7.html
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

noice!!
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Great story, especially hearing from his mother who is understandably on toof the world in recent weeks.

You know me haffe go link him, but going to wait till things settle down a bit.

Btw when is the best times to give you a shout?
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Big tings, love it, an dat is correct sir chemist, science an technology fi lead di way, ah dat di Govt fi focus pan, fi real.

Comment

seen a little big of that material at work. Good to know is a yard man on it.

Big up to him and he is spreading good words. Congrats sah.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            Great story, especially hearing from his mother who is understandably on toof the world in recent weeks.

You know me haffe go link him, but going to wait till things settle down a bit.

Btw when is the best times to give you a shout?
            mi deh bout tonite

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              Morant Bay alum doing his thing.

Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter

A JAMAICAN chemist, who was part of a group of researchers at IBM that recently created a new class of plastics known in the scientific world as polymers, has urged the country to focus more on science and technology.

The material developed by Dr Gavin Jones, who hails from St Thomas, and his teamcould deliver cheaper, lighter, stronger, and recyclable materials ideal for the electronics, aerospace, airlines, and automotive industries, and he believes that Jamaica has the talent that could deliver similar breakthroughs in other areas.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead7.html
              I guess the chemistry behind the product is beyond the scope of the article.

The discovery of polymers is one of the greatest (accidental) invention.....

Significant progress have been in polymer chemistry. Polyethylene and nylon are two examples [dif. in mol.wgt.].

Any improvements in this area of chemistry is a plus. Especially from a bi0degradable perspective.

Example:

Corn-starch is NOW a biodegradable base substitute for Styrofoam (polystyrene). The natural base application over the synthetic styrofoam is grossing millions of dollars.

Hope Dr. Gavin Jones have the business aspect of this invention locked up in patents.

Good job!!!
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

if he does he is having a bath. I suspect that it was done for a company though.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yes. I remember having to sign a Intellectual Property contract worksheet (of sorts) every year with the last company i worked. Giving them all rights and privileges to any original ideas or discovery.....

HL

Comment

Hope Dr. Gavin Jones have the business aspect of this invention locked up in patents.
                    I am sure it is. The sad part is, he may be mentioned on the patent, but the benefit and ownership is that of his employer IBM.

So many other polymers in everyday use. Some I can think of of the top of my head:
                    Polypropylene (PP) - Used to make "jinks bokkle"
                    Polystyrene - Styrofoam
                    Polytetrafloroethylene or PTFE - The Teflon used to coat pots
                    Polyester - Sass used to use this to make "lengths" back in the day.
                    Polyinyl Chloride (PVC) - Used for garden hose, pipes for electrical conduits etc. Some even use it for sidings for homes.
                    And who can forget this one:
                    Terylene - I understand that my good friend Karl still has a three piece suit made of this polymer material.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

"Polyester - Sass used to use this to make lengths back in the day. "

LOL

Comment

I understand his suggestion that we focus on science & technology. Jamaica should really focus on the basics, reading, writing & math.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          I understand his suggestion that we focus on science & technology. Jamaica should really focus on the basics, reading, writing & math.
                          Yes focus on that if we wish to remain backward..... as it appears we do

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                            I agree with you Hortical One!

Not saying the the science and technology focus is not an imperative....

Two weeks ago I was in Jamaica. Two primary school boys asked me for a lift. I gave them a lift.

While driving I said to both boys...'so I take it that both of you are bright boys'.

"Me no suh bright sah" said one boy. The other agreed.

"So why you nuh bright" i asked.

The both blamed it on the teacher.

I spoke to the boys at length as saw that they were not very literate.

I mentioned in a previous post that my eyes welled up with tears when i visited an All-age school and saw the apalling learning conditions>>>>>>>.

Much more i could say on this topic...but suffice it to say that yes... we should push science and technology, but more so Jamaica MUST do much more to improve it's literacy rate.
                            Last edited by HL; May 27, 2014, 06:19 PM.

HL

Comment

Hope Karl added some wool to that terylene. Man of distinction never just wear soso terelyne seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X