Bain Beheaded By Gay Taliban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bain Beheaded By Gay Taliban

"Portia seh wi nuh fi beat de bybwoy dem ... . (Pause ... sigh ... .) Awright!"

Even today remembering it, I crack up. You will recall the backdrop to the question was Golding's "Not in my Cabinet!", which defiantly telegraphed a completely different attitude. Sitting at the bar, I thought to myself, as I still do, that the path to greater empathy and tolerance - some would say moral advance - can be spectacularly non-linear. And speaking of advances and reversals, consider how the heavy-handed overkill where Dr Bain has been told "Not in our Cabinet either!" has outraged and galvanised the citizenry.

The anti-buggery law should be reviewed, but my opinion is not doctrinaire, just weak and provisional. It is based on the intellectual appeal of a basic 'live and let live (die?)' libertarianism where, when possible, we allow people to lead their own lives. But even more so, it's based on an emotional aversion to the cruelty against homosexuals that I have witnessed.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure4.html
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

I speculate that many of Professor Bain's detractors have not read his now-infamous statement. There, he clearly affirms that he was "given no instructions by any party". He makes no reference to the contested law. Professor Bain gives well-documented scientific evidence on public-health issues relating specifically to men who have sex with men.

The UWI press release comes to a disturbing conclusion: " ... It has become increasingly evident that Professor Bain has lost the confidence and support of a significant sector of the community which the CHART programme is expected to reach, including the loss of his leadership status in PANCAP [Pan Caribbean Partnership Against HIV& AIDS], thereby undermining the ability of this programme to effectively deliver on its mandate." That's not a good reason for firing Professor Bain.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure3.html
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I always wondered what happened to him.Maybe guys like Keith Duncan abd John Peralto will resurface too.
      Tantalizing read.

Comment

We are sitting ducks,what to stop them from declaring war on Rasta?

Comment

I have to agree with her take on this
          Peter R

Comment

What does this have to do with the topic?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nothing directly,but I have always been cirious...
              Kinda like if I lose contact with you for more than half my life,finding you trumps.....
              One a dem tings Iyah.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                That's not a good reason for firing Professor Bain.
                Agreed! If they could make up such a poor excuse they could have come with better, even if false, with a little effort.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

An afterthought me teacher!
                  I do remember your bout eith Daniel in which he was revealed to be embarrassingly lacking,but really who wouldn't be going head to head with you?
                  So you have a predisposition ....,what does THAT have to do with your response to my post?

Comment

Working...
                  X