X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Cuban & Race

Comments!!

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is known for bold statements, and he made a few Wednesday at a conference in Nashville on the topic of banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

"I know I'm prejudiced, and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways," Cuban said in an interview shown at the annual GrowCo convention hosted by Inc. magazine, according to The Tennessean.

Contd...
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

I don't agree with everything he says but his honesty is refreshing.

The uncomfortable truth is most of us have prejudices, it is just that most of us (I think) do not have the inclination nor the opportunity to act on them in an inappropriate way.

I would be VERY uncomfortable if I am in a place with some skinhead-looking youths and no black people except me around. My discomfort doesn't give me the right to shoot them and claim self-defense, but I would be getting away from there as soon as I could even if they totally ignored me the whole time.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yuh si how life stay, di ownah seh weh 99% ah pale seh everyday an dem ah destroy him fi dat, an ebrybody out fi destroy him. But when pale shoot dung di yout dem let him guh free as a bird. Dis is a load a bollocks

Comment

We all have our prejudices and it becomes a problem when people use it to deny others their civil rights. If it is cold & rainy and I'm wearing a hoody, I will lower it if I am going in a store. If I see some youths regardless of race appear to be acting in a threatening manner, I will avoid them on the street. What's important is the behavior of the individual and not the race. I went to a meeting yesterday dressed as a professional, and as I was walking on the street a cop at a construction site steered me down. Most cops believe all black men should be monitored and watched. Normally I would return a frowny steer, but I couldn't be bothered.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Steeling probably thought Magic was a threat to his safety,are there no metal detectors in that stadium?Magic may be concealing dangerous weapons to pull off a heist.
          Cuban need to get a grasp on things so as not to make bankrupt arguments.
          Last edited by Rockman; May 23, 2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Agree,if I am the guy in the hoody,I would prefer he stays on the side with the skinhead,he can kill me a claim self defense.
            Am I at fault for considering THAT threat.

Comment

I have no problem with what he says.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Don't be surprise if they vote for Sterling to keep his team. Many of them have skeleton in their closet and it might not be race but if they take away Sterling team, what will stop them from taking away teams from drunks, druggies and other owners?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I understand the concern that there is danger of a slippery slope but that is the agreement they signed when they became NBA owners. They can vote you out of the exclusive club if they want to.

That team will not be viable if Sterling remains the owner. People like Lebron are threatening to lead a boycott and I think the owners realize that they have to throw him under the bus regardless of what their personal views are.

This is a good example of how people of African descent can use their economic power to achieve change. How I wish as a people we would put ourselves in an economic position where we could do things like this more often. Marcus said it but we still nah listen.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Do you know who made these comments?

There is nothing more painful to me at this stage of my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.

Comment

Cuban's comment has to be taken in the context it was intended,he hopes it mitigates whay Sterling did.
                        Is he afraid of Magic Johnson?
                        A youthful Jackson may have found comfort in almost white Zimmerman approaching,we know that would be most unfortunate.
                        Do they have fears,what about yours?Is it a question of entitlement?

Comment

Marc Cuban was merely saying that we all have prejudices and if our private thoughts were made public it would likely expose us in ways we were not proud of. That is a reasonable statement in my view even though I o think Sterling should lose his team given the overall situation.

Jesse was in his 40s when he said that, nothing particularly youthful about him. He was only saying what he and many other people feel.

Of course I sometimes have fears based at least partially on stereotypes, don't we all if we are honest with ourselves?

If I am withdrawing money from an ATM at night and some rough looking young males of whatever race are passing nearby, you BEST believe I am more nervous than if some 60 year old women of whatever race are passing by. That is just human nature, we know which of those group is more likely to do us harm, in that situation

Comment

Stephen A Smith Weighs In

Stephen A.'s Position Unchanged on Mark Cuban's Comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKXKccyb2e8#t=394

Comment

His view is one that is well met by the majority,great for his livelihood.

Comment

Working...
                              X