NOw this is addressing real issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOw this is addressing real issue

Even then, Williams questions whether it suits Jamaica.
    "Orthodox economics say we really shouldn't manufacture anything in Jamaica," said the deputy executive director of Mona School of Business and Management at the University of the West Indies (UWI).
    Those who manufacture locally encounter significant challenges.
    "We have a very punishing interest rate; inescapable and exorbitant energy fees, very punitive labour laws, a benign doing business environment and security costs," Williams said.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...aica-_16675173
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

...only certain type manufactoring

we should stay away from.

Sure for others we would have to improve infrastructure. - Energy, water, roads...sewage disposal, etc...but why can we not get into 'clean manufacturing'?

- solar panels?
    - electronic components?
    - assembly plants?
    - food processing where waste could be turned into fertilizers - natural fertilizers?

Can we not 'pick' our industries? I do know there will be obstacles to overcome...but would it be worth it?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The problem is we are not addressing the real issues. Infrastructure is one thing but if we choose the right thing to manufacture and bring it to market then infrastructure will come. Man a make handmade carpet inna Pakistan and sell it, you think it need electricity and how much Infrastructure so.

The fact is we need to find stuff that we can build with proper markup and find market for it. Read what the man say, Physical infrastructure alone won't make us competitive.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X