RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 15 Finest Jamaican Recording Artists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 15 Finest Jamaican Recording Artists?

Note that this Top 15 Finest list is limited to male recording artists. All comments are welcome.

(The recording artists are listed alphabetically here)

Ken Boothe
    Cornell Campbell
    Boris Gardiner
    Beres Hammond
    John Holt
    John Jones
    Pat Kelly
    Rudy Mills
    Taurus Riley
    Sanchez
    Richie Stephens
    Tyrone Taylor
    Vic Taylor
    Delroy Wilson
    Ernest Wilson

Clearly space is probably needed for other superb singers like Bob Andy, Dennis Brown, Dobby Dobson, Freddy McKay, etc. Whether we like it or not, compiling a restrictive “Top 15” list can be a bit challenging.

I think Garnett Silk, Half Pint,Dennis Brown,..Barrington Levy should make that list.D Brown the crowned King and Silk and Half Pint were the best of their era.
    There were a few singers that were not soo much recording artists but were well respected in the inner circle of sound system.

Comment

Historian, What justification is there to not have Dennis Brown on the list? Just cannot see that at all.

In addition, I don't know if technically you would classify Maxi Priest as Jamaican but he would be in my list.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Thanks, Gentlemen

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        Historian, What justification is there to not have Dennis Brown on the list? Just cannot see that at all.

In addition, I don't know if technically you would classify Maxi Priest as Jamaican but he would be in my list.
        Thanks for taking the time to comment, Rockman and Islandman.

My lists are never even near perfect. For example, I still recall that my original list of “Top 5 Greatest Jamaican Drummers” did not include the awesome and innovative Sly Dunbar. To this day I recall with regret that major omission.

In the same way, this current “Top 15” list of male singers should most likely have included the so-called “Crown Prince of Reggae.” Labels (“King” of this and “Prince” of that) never interest me, but this aside, Dennis Brown is actually an outstanding singer. There are others with superior vocal talents, but Brown definitely should have made the list. I agree with you both on this.

Also, while Richie Stephens is definitely one of my all-time favorite Jamaican singers (he has a truly outstanding voice) and belongs in a Top 5 list, A. J. Brown is also equally good -- a genuinely great singer -- and I inadvertently left him off my list.

By the way, some of our greatest singers have never been fully appreciated. The late Ernest Wilson and the late John Jones immediately come to mind as an example of this sorry affair. These guys could handle any type of material, no matter how challenging.

Comment

Toots Hibbert

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Bunny Rugs?? just asking... I know he wasn't a solo artiste but he was a singer.
            Peter R

Comment

my nuh agree with you but mi can't name mi 15 but I can't leave out Dennis Brown. Then again you seems to be using pure sings.

How about Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Mighty Diamonds, The Congoes, The Heptones to name a few. This list doesn't enclude any Chanter or DJs.

Yesterday I was listening Garnet silk "Oh Me, Oh My" and the clarity and the voice was fantastic. Then you have some slim Smith etc.

As I say I can't make a list at all.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Rugs and Tabby Diamond would have to be on my list.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

That's It

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  my nuh agree with you but mi can't name mi 15 but I can't leave out Dennis Brown. Then again you seems to be using pure sings.
                  You got it, ‘Sass!

My interest in compiling this list was, as you correctly stated it, “pure sing(er)s”! In other words, singers (in this list, recording artists) who, in my opinion, are the very best we as a nation have produced. For example, have we ever really listened to the vocal qualities of, say, a Richie Stephens, A.J. “Boots” Brown, Tyrone Taylor, or Delroy Wilson? These guys are clearly very talented! How about, to cite another example, the falsetto of a Pat Kelly?

Singers such as those I have listed can stand comfortably beside any other anywhere else in the world!

For the record, I have never – and will probably never – have any interest in so-called “sing-jays” and so I may never compile any such list. (This thread was influenced by Lazie’s very enjoyable Luther Vandross post – and Luther is truly an incredible singer, despite my rebuttal in that thread! )

And yes, Dennis Brown was the most unfortunate of my neglect (omission).

By the way, can we forget fame and listen closely to the voice of each Jamaican singer?

My Next post will be the incredible females (Pam Hall, Myrna Hague, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    Note that this Top 15 Finest list is limited to male recording artists. All comments are welcome.

(The recording artists are listed alphabetically here)

Ken Boothe
                    Cornell Campbell
                    Boris Gardiner
                    Beres Hammond
                    John Holt
                    John Jones
                    Pat Kelly
                    Rudy Mills
                    Taurus Riley
                    Sanchez
                    Richie Stephens
                    Tyrone Taylor
                    Vic Taylor
                    Delroy Wilson
                    Ernest Wilson

Clearly space is probably needed for other superb singers like Bob Andy, Dennis Brown, Dobby Dobson, Freddy McKay, etc. Whether we like it or not, compiling a restrictive “Top 15” list can be a bit challenging.

Under the 's'...you should have placed Ernie Smith
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      Under the 's'...you should have placed Ernie Smith
                      I belated realized that, HL, as in the case of my unfortunate Dennis Brown omission.

Comment

Another "s" is (Pluto) Shervington... I can't say I can assess voice, tone, quality etc. but I enjoyed his music, that's for sure!
                        Peter R

Comment

yeah man when I am relaxing, that is the kind of singers I listen and penetrate. The only problem AJ is that he doesn't record as much as he should and didn't take it serious with serous commercial producers.

Another fantastic voice who didn't like to record is Ruddy Thomas. Another good vocalist is Barry Biggs, and other is Derrick Lara who is now with the Tamlins.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If I have the pleasure, let me take you back in time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocx3GM8wU14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDe5O5_39G8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-nk_0XJ8QY

Comment

Top 150 list then?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X