Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce

you to the G.O.A.T.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Sorry, Lazie, I Cannot Agree!

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    you to the G.O.A.T.
    Lazie, my friend, you must have guessed that I would grab this bait!

Boss, while Luther Vandross certainly has a beautiful, melodious voice, there are other singers who have superior voices and greater melodic range! In my opinion, Luther is definitely better than the vast majority of soul singers, but on the other hand, great singers are not limited to R&B.

I could post a half dozen examples of Black and Caucasian singers who are SUPERIOR to Luther Vandross. However, two will suffice here to make my point. Listen closely to the vocal qualities of the two great singers below.

1. Larnelle Harris (“America the Beautiful”): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHnHEY8pHU0

2. Tony Williams and the Platters (“Only You”): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r2pEdc1_lI

Trust me, these two men are NOT less than Luther Vandross in any way!

Comment

Lol

Mr. Lazie? Lol. You started this thread, so I hope you respond, preferably in an analytical way.

Where I share your view 100 percent is the allusion that Luther Vandross is greater than many of the very popular soul singers – Marvin Gaye, David Ruffin, Donny Hathaway, Peabo Bryson, etc. Clearly there is no comparison between Vandross on the one hand and these other fine singers on the other.

But to state that Vandross is the greatest of all times….nah. Just listen to the two YouTube videos I posted; it is just a two-recording sample of singers who are superior to the great Luther Vandross (voice quality, range, etc.).

Comment

I really liked the Tony Williams piece. Expected a little more from Larnelle Harris.

But can they really top this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2-PW2l4b2A

Loota mi say!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Mr. Lazie? Lol. You started this thread, so I hope you respond, preferably in an analytical way.

Where I share your view 100 percent is the allusion that Luther Vandross is greater than many of the very popular soul singers – Marvin Gaye, David Ruffin, Donny Hathaway, Peabo Bryson, etc. Clearly there is no comparison between Vandross on the one hand and these other fine singers on the other.

But to state that Vandross is the greatest of all times….nah. Just listen to the two YouTube videos I posted; it is just a two-recording sample of singers who are superior to the great Luther Vandross (voice quality, range, etc.).

Historian, I see you're just trying to play devil's advocate. I am certain any of those singers you mention would tell you they are overly flattered to be compared to the G.O.A.T. Must say I applaud your attempt.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            I really liked the Tony Williams piece. Expected a little more from Larnelle Harris.

But can they really top this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2-PW2l4b2A

Loota mi say!
            Check the lady at 1:25, no question what happened there.

Comment

Working...
            X