Clear All

• Time For Radical Constitutional Reforms In Parliament, Says

Time For Radical Constitutional Reforms In Parliament, Says Malahoo-Forte

Published: Wednesday May 7, 2014 | 10:30 am0 Comments
    Marlene Malahoo-Forte - File
    Marlene Malahoo-Forte - File
    Jovan Johnson, Gleaner Writer

KINGSTON, Jamaica:
    Opposition Senator Marlene Malahoo-Forte says the time has come for radical constitutional reforms in the operations of the Parliament, which may include having an elected Senate.

Currently, the 21-members of Jamaica's Upper House are appointed by the Governor General on the recommendation of the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=52729

Under the Constitution, the Senate has no power to amend money bills, such as the Appropriations Act, setting out the Budget.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Someone sight di rake,our constitution is antiquated, oppressive and stagnant.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

or is it the fact that not even the leaders are following it?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Maybe its a fact it was construed to do just that ?

Comment

or it is a fact that we don't want to follow none. When was the OUR act and the INDECOM act created????
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

and look ow paulwell walk all over the OUR and how paula llewelyn try to protect her turf by challenging INDECOM?

rules are not the problem. we have them. if we not following the rules we have now, why would anyone think that new rules will be followed solely because they are new rules?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Agreed!
              What about 2 Senators from each Parish? ...or 5 from each County...save Kingston & St. Andrew being considered special case, removed from its County and given 5 Senators? ...or apportioning Senators via approximate equal population figures i.e. Island carved into equal population size...4 or 5 population groups with 4 or 5 Senators each? ...say 20 Senators?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What would be the end results??? What if we had 20 senators, or 40. What would they accomplish the that 10 brilliant minds couldn't?

Not against it but temper our expectation, as the same partisan bickering and lack of accountability etc. will cripple everything

Comment

Parishes are an anachronism...

We should have just 4 countries...

Cornwall, Middlesex, Surrey and Metro Kingston (SpanTown, Caymanas, Portmore, Kingston and St Andrew combined).

Comment

Working...
                  X