• Show
Clear All

• Top SC, Prosecutor,Independent Senator, columnist,

assassinated in Trinidad!

$1 million reward in Dana Seetahal murder
    By Alexander Bruzual
    Story Created: May 4, 2014 at 3:17 AM ECT
    Story Updated: May 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM ECT
    A $1 million reward is being offered by Crime Stoppers for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those involved in the murder of attorney Dana Seetahal.
    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/...html#idc-cover

The country woke up to news that a senior attorney at the criminal bar was gunned down this morning, in what police have described as a "professional" hit.

Police said Dana Seetahal was shot dead at about 12.05 am as she was driving north along Hamilton-Holder Street, Woodbrook when two vehicles pulled alongside her causing her to come to a stop near the Woodbrook Youth Club. http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-...l-assassinated
    Peter R

Prosecutor killed? This must be unprecedented in T&T & normally criminals do not go after law enforcement officials.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

People actually calling for anther SOE after this.
      Peter R

Comment

did you read the details of the case she was prosecuting? jamaica got nuttin on trinidad...that's all igotta say about that...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/...252097831.html

Comment

Wow..... Peter, looks like prosecutors will need armed security and drive in armored vehicles like in Latin America. I sense T&T radically changing after this event.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

This should concern everyone in the Caribbean. Firstly the availability of guns in the region must be curbed.

I do hope there is an exchange of policing methods between both countries. Indeed, this should have, from a long time, been a matter for CARICOM, whatever that means.

My heart goes out to my brothers and sisters in T&T. Spare nothing to bring the killers to justice and I do hope justice prevails in the case the prosecutor was working on.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The question is: Is her murder related to the case? the men on trial, IMO, WERE simply minions in carrying out the cruel acts they did (allegedly ), but now I'm not so sure. Either way, what this does underscore is that major crime is perpetrated by organised gangs and not just one-off, ad hoc groups... and therefore, the police authorities CAN staunch it, if they have the belly and cojones to do so.

May Dana Seetahal RIP; I read her columns with great interest as she always portrayed a balanced view on the law and how it should be applied, even in the interest of the types who are her assassins.
              Peter R

Comment

Daly: Juggling statistics won’t alter facts
                Life in T&T now worth nothing
                Published:
                Monday, May 5, 2014
                Geisha Kowlessar

Text Size:
                Senior Counsel Martin Daly says criminals must not be allowed to carry out hits in broad daylight and then take a celebratory drink. He made the statement while commenting on the killing of Dana Seetahal, SC, yesterday. Saying he was grieved by the loss of his colleague and close friend, Daly described her murder as yet another example of the prevalence of impunity in the country, as he also referred to last week’s murder outside the Arima Magistrates Court.

“For years I have complained about the impunity with which all citizens, high and low, can just be murdered. So we have to keep the focus on the impunity with which these things are done. “Juggling with crime statistics does not alter the basic facts ... that life in Trinidad is worth nothing and a person can take your life and just laugh. I am not saying this because I am grieved, I have been saying this for ten years in my column ... what can you say?” Daly asked.

(more)
                http://www.guardian.co.tt/crime-and-...-worth-nothing
                Peter R

Comment

wasn't the husband suspected of the kidnapping at one point?

Comment

I see nothing wrong in lawyers having protection. It's not that their lives are any more important than anyone else's but the job makes their lives more at risk.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                    X