• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top 10 Reggae drummers

Top 10 Reggae drummers

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...olade_16586290

I notice Desi Jones is missing.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Another meaningless Top ten list. Are those even all reggae drummers? Certainly no more than Desi Jones is/was and he is one of the best Jamaican drummers period.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

No Grizzly Nesbett?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You Are So Right!

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        Another meaningless Top ten list. Are those even all reggae drummers? Certainly no more than Desi Jones is/was and he is one of the best Jamaican drummers period.
        I completely agree with everything you’ve said here, I’man.

No need for me to add anything else to your statement.

Comment

So is there one person on that list under forty.

Comment

does the current under 40 players have their body of work???
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good Question

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              does the current under 40 players have their body of work???
              The answer to your question is a resounding “No!”

Of course, this list is not completely irrelevant, as there is not a single drummer on the list who doesn’t have a body of musical work that can stand serious scrutiny. That said, I do not share the view that these particular ten are the “ten greatest” reggae drummers of all times.

As Islandman correctly alluded, an eclectic reggae drummer like Desi Jones should not be left off such a list. In addition, like he asked, are all ten men actually reggae drummers first and foremost? The fact is that there are several trail blazers – for example, where do we place guys like the late Carl Ayton and Calvin McKenzie? – and so such a list will be fraught with questions and disagreements and contradictions.

Finally, in the same way that the writer provided support for his choice of the outstanding drummer Sly Dunbar, he should have at least attempted a similar explanatory piece on the other nine drummers.

Comment

I asked about Desi as I glance over the list and that was the first thought that came to me. Iman shared that too.

"Finally, in the same way that the writer provided support for his choice of the outstanding drummer Sly Dunbar, he should have at least attempted a similar explanatory piece on the other nine drummers" Good observation.

Comment

Working...
                X