Sending US dollar to Ja.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending US dollar to Ja.

A friend of mine sent 50 dollars for his aunt for Christmas via Money order. The person send back the money order and said the bank wouldn't change it. He thien send a personal check and it was sent back to him again. This has nothing to do with the person account as it has money in it.

My friend send he will not send it Western union or money transfer as he is not paying 9 for sending 50 dollars. Is this now the case where Jamaican banks are not taking legitimate money? If this is the case doesn't this also affect the amount of US dollar that comes into Jamaica?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I would love to know why this happened. Please keep us informed if you hear anything more.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

as far as i know Jamaican banks never accepted personal cheques from foreign banks or money orders...the money has to be wired to the bank directly...and there is a fee for that...

Comment

Wire transfer fee is about $45 for a foreign bank. Not aware Ja banks do not accept foreign checks, how can you do business?
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

by wire transfer...you can't take a personal cheque from an NCB US$ account to Bank Of America...can you?

Comment

Unless that is something new since I've left Jamaica but US checks were always accepted by Jamaican banks.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

US checks were always accepted but in most cases it had to be deposit for about 20-30 days. Seems like a change now.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                US checks were always accepted but in most cases it had to be deposit for about 20-30 days. Seems like a change now.
                For as long as I can remember, it takes 8 weeks for a US check to clear. That's ridiculous!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think they said that but most would clear quicker, in about a month. That was ridiculous especially when dealing with established banks.

I will try and find out what is the real thing from a friend or two later.

Comment

If the amount is in American currency, don't see why they would not take a NCB check. It may take a while to clear.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I have deposited US checks (or cheques as we say).
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        I have deposited US checks (or cheques as we say).
                        I am 100% sure it was not a personal cheque or a money order

Comment

why do you think people use western union? if it were that easy they would just mail them a cheque...

Comment

Tell your friend to use Xoom.com and he can have the money deposited directly to her bank account for about $7. A wire transfer to banks cost US40, so he shouldn't have a problem paying $7. When funds are wired, the receiving bank can also charge a receiving fee. When you send by Xoom, there is no receivng fee on the other end either.

Sending a money order or personal check is a waste of time if you ask me. For one, you pay for the money order and you pay the post office of FedEx/UPS to get it there. If he spends time figurig out the costs, you cannot beat $7 charged by Xoom. Xoom will allow you send up to $2999 for the $7.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Using Xoom the exchange rate is less and they receive $2 JA less per $1US for an $8US fee.

Comment

Working...
                              X