Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Boy dons' control garrisons

'Boy dons' control garrisons

Gone are the days when the 'dons' were the mature, old men in the garrison communities. A number of the inner-city communities in the Corporate Area are now being controlled by youngsters, some of them teens.
    THE STAR recently learnt that a small community in eastern Kingston was being led by not only one, but two young men. When THE STAR visited the community and enquired about the two, residents spoke proudly of their young leaders, claiming they bring no harm to the community and its residents. "A dem two yute deh keep tings good an' mek sure seh di place run how it fi run. Dem bawn an' grow an' still live ya so dem naa look fi dis di place or hurt nobady from roun' ya," one resident said.
    It was further understood that the two young men played separate roles in the 'running' of the community. The two individuals who wished to remain anonymous were at first reluctant in speaking with THE STAR, however after a few drinks they decided to explain their roles.
    The 'main man' who claims to be 20, calls himself the 'bread-winner' of the community. He claims his role is to ensure the general well-being of the community. "A me mek sure seh everyting gravy, me have certain links suh me mek sure some a di yutes dem get likkle work an' ting. An' when mi mek a food mi mek sure seh man an man straight eno," he told THE STAR.
    The other young man who claims to be 19 years old said that he leads the 'army' during wartime. "When a time fi defen di place a me lead out di army eno," the man said with a huge smile on his face.

like father like son

In another community in southern St. Andrew, the area leader claims he is simply following the footsteps of his father who was the area leader before he was killed. "Dem seh like fadda like son, so me jus' a carry on di name ... Long live di don," Dawgysaid as he looked at a picture of his late father.
    The 21-year-old youngster however claims unlike his father, he doesn't plan on living by the gun but rather by the goodness of his heart. "A gun ting mek my fada lose him life and me done know seh gun ting a nuh joke ting. So me jus' waa live right an' help mi people dem by the goodness a mi heart," he said.
    Residents claim they love and respect Dawgy'slow-keyed style and hopes he remains that way. "If somebody nuh tell yu seh a him a di don yu cyaa know 'cause him jus' look like a regular yute. Wi jus hope seh him stay dat way an' nuh change fi nuttin," one resident said.
    Police personnel attached to these areas who claim they know of these individuals say they will only encourage them to engage in legal matters as 'donship' is a major concern of the society. "I can and will only urge these young men to make some constructive use of their time and not look down that line of activity," one officer told THE STAR.
    Inspector Steve Brown of Kingfish, said that the current trend with the young dons will not be tolerated. Although he is not currently familiar with any such individuals, he claims once they are discovered they will be dealt with according to the law.
    "Once it has come to our attention, we will deal with it and seek out their claim to fame," He told THE STAR. "Some of these individuals just come up overnight and call themselves dons, they are nothing but criminals."
    Names changed upon request.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Working...
X