• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana: The Uncomfortable Facts!

My Source: The Daily Gleaner, Wednesday, May 16, 2014
    Article link:
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...-coin_16464556

Please note: I have omitted the opening paragraphs (the first three paragraphs), but you can easily read the entire column by clicking on the Gleaner link above.

The other side of the ganja gold coin

Anthony GOMES

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The decriminalisation of ganja for recreational use is being scrutinised by the Jamaican Government. There is no plan, to the best of our knowledge, to legalise ganja for recreational purposes. Decriminalisation would permit the purchase and use of small quantities of the weed for personal consumption. Smoking ganja in public places or in the vicinity of schools would be subject to the same rules as for cigarettes, which prohibit smoking in public places. The protection of children is of the utmost importance as the drug is known to be addictive and seriously damaging in many ways to the health of users. More on this concern follows given the number and variety of potential health risks associated with ganja use.

Two popular fallacious examples frequently referred to need to be clarified. Firstly, it is often claimed that Portugal has legalised all illicit drugs. While drug use, possession, and acquisition are still illicit activities in Portugal, these acts have been decriminalised, not legalised. The second example is that the Netherlands has liberalised all illicit drugs. Factually, in Holland, it is illegal to sell all kinds of drugs. In dealing with cannabis quantity is taken into account. Coffee shops can sell up to five grammes per person a day and are not prosecuted. However, they are liable to heavy penalties for selling large quantities presumed to be for trade. Measures are taken to control the sale of drugs on the street, and importantly in private dwellings and public places other than coffee shops.

I was not able to catch a news story this morning regarding marijuana's ability to "reshape/alter" the brain.

Is this a good thing, X? Is this the beginning of human beings ability to shape-shift?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did the writer state HIS sources? for those bulleted points...I'll check.

It's not quite clear, but appears to be the DEA? hmmmm
      Last edited by Peter R; April 16, 2014, 08:10 AM.
      Peter R

Comment

I don't think the Jamaican leadership has the management skills and ability to cope with legalization.

'Jamaicans' (it's leadership incl.) are highly indisciplined.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

My guess is laboratory weed came from weed being illegal,more clever way of growing it.This led to all types of tweaking.
          The increase in THC levels surely can be attributed to that.Why is that used to discredit local weed?
          If we are really worried about the tar level then put a filter on it like they did cigarettes.
          To mandate that,it has to be legal.
          The chemicals in weed were decided by nature(the true chemist,nature wastes NOTHING), over a 1000 chemicals were artificially added to cigarettes.
          This article relies heavily on the analysis and data from the US....
          Also,the coffee shops in Amsterdam that are not allowed to sell bulk, buy in bulk.
          Last edited by Rockman; April 16, 2014, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Not the first time I heard that from you,I am no closer to understanding 'why'?
            I must ask that you explain why...

Comment

Not everything in NATURE is good simply because it's natural, so I wouldn't argue it from that angle.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Used wrongly Mr President.
                The reference was to compare weed in its natural form to the artificially modified (disturbing the natural balance-akin to opening a can of worms)ones,also establishing purpose.

Comment

Its all about discipline for you,not science. People like Gomes we should agree to disagree in silence.
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Correction....

Correction: I made a major error here in giving credit to the incorrect newspaper. This article was actually copied from The Jamaica Observer.

Comment

nope he didn't...rubbish article...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/

Tobacco has dramatic negative consequences for those who smoke it. In addition to its high addiction potential [1], tobacco is causally associated with over 400,000 deaths yearly in the United States, and has a significant negative effect on health in general [2]. More specifically, over 140,000 lung-related deaths in 2001 were attributed to tobacco smoke [3]. Comparable consequences would naturally be expected from cannabis smoking since the burning of plant material in the form of cigarettes generates a large variety of compounds that possess numerous biological activities [4].

While cannabis smoke has been implicated in respiratory dysfunction, including the conversion of respiratory cells to what appears to be a pre-cancerous state [5], it has not been causally linked with tobacco related cancers [6] such as lung, colon or rectal cancers. Recently, Hashibe et al [7] carried out an epidemiological analysis of marijuana smoking and cancer. A connection between marijuana smoking and lung or colorectal cancer was not observed. These conclusions are reinforced by the recent work of Tashkin and coworkers [8] who were unable to demonstrate a cannabis smoke and lung cancer link, despite clearly demonstrating cannabis smoke-induced cellular damage.
                      Last edited by Bricktop; April 16, 2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X