• Word of the Day: Portia

I did not know this!

Portia

PRONUNCIATION:
    (POR-shuh, -shee-uh)

MEANING:
    noun: A female lawyer.

ETYMOLOGY:
    After Portia, the heroine of Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. Portia is a rich heiress who disguises herself as a lawyer to save Antonio's life. Earliest documented use: 1869.

USAGE:
    "'Listen sister...law isn't the only subject I've mastered!' snaps Betty, ... 'I may be a Portia, but my middle name's Dempsey!'"
    Mike Madrid; Divas, Dames & Daredevils; Exterminating Angel Press; 2013.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Wonder how they were duped into ignoring the charlatan angle,she is a lawyer by definition.
    I have no memory of ever reading the Merchant of Venice(chances I did) but I would guess in the end her efforts... did not reveal her to be lacking;she proved up to the task.
    Which brings me to our second Portia(forumite is numero uno),our PM is appropriately named.

Comment

Thought it was a high performance cyar...

Comment

Nah man you thinking of the Porcher. Cho.

Comment

how can to etymology be from the merchant of Venice??!! it did not exist before that play?!

surprised that a man with the classical education that is on offer at "Monroe" that mosiah did not remember that character from the play...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ahem, excuse me, mister! Merchant of Venice is the only Shakespeare I've ever read. And I enjoyed it immensely!

I do remember Portia but I did not know that the name could be used like that.

For instance, I bet you didn't know the new name for informa is Missa Palma. Okay then!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i would have if it formed a part of any kind of classical education ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X