• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercy alive and well at Alpha Boys' School

Mercy alive and well at Alpha Boys' School

Jean LOWRIE-CHIN

Monday, April 14, 2014 2 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

AFTER almost 130 years of nurturing Jamaican boys, the Alpha Boys' School is closing its residential facilities. On the positive side, however, the school will expand its educational offerings. You would think that an institution like Alpha would have no difficulty receiving a decent subvention for its good work. But, like many others of its kind, it has been struggling financially.

"We understand that the decision to close the residential part of Alpha Boys School has been subject to misunderstanding and misinterpretation," commented Sister Marie Chin, area administrator of the Sisters of Mercy, when I called her after hearing the reports. "We appreciate this opportunity to explain that the closing of the residential part is due to a constellation of factors that are as much social as they are economic."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...chool_16464587
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

StGC had a big brother programme in my years there,I was very much involved...
    It is a crying shame,there are benefits to living there as opposed to some poorly run boy homes...
    As far as I can remember,sisters were always at the helm,and the youngsters were far better behaved than we Georgians.It is THE paradigm.
    Whey govt fah????

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
      StGC had a big brother programme in my years Whey govt fah????

Govt. - still around talking Bull $-H-I-T-E
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

I used to help out with the boys who were cadets/musicians. Very well behaved and hard working. Why government couldn't pay the church to keep it open? Sisters don't give kick backs?
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

I know so many musicians who have benefitted from Alpha!
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
          X