No announcement yet.

Your Top 5 Greatest Black Singers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Historian was looking for a male list?!?

Makeba would have been considered by me. Although I love her to death, not sure she would have made a "singers" list for me, as wonderful as her "clicks" were!

The others - I know their names more than I know their music. Youssou N'Dour is a favourite of mine, but would not have made my list.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We would have to know amour them first and then consider the issue of their greatness. Mariam makeba belongs up there for sure though

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nina Simone
        Aretha Franklin
        Roberta Flack
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          Paul Robeson
          David Ruffin
          Teddy P
          Donnie Hathaway
          Minnie Ripperton

Toots Hibbert

Gamma - have you ever listened to Lala Hathway - Donnie's daughter?
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

i have. she did did some collaboration with black box years a back .... have not heard anything recent from her.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Great singers:

Peebo Bryson
              Martha Wash
              Chakka Khan
              Lou Rawls
              Howard Hewett
              Shannon
              Larry Graham
              Stacy Francis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYiyEqI0akQ)
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

shannon????!! "let the music play" shannon???!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  shannon????!! "let the music play" shannon???!!
                  She same one. Ok you caught me. I was just trying to squeeze in one of my favourite singers from the 80's. She is a good singer but not great. But I will raise you by adding Melba Moore and Donna Summers to my list.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

And yuh a cuss mi bout John Legend?!?!

kmt!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That question cannot be answered... there must be about a hundred at least in the top five!! if you get my drift. Let me add two names to the list: Concha Buika and Cesaria Evora. Both these ladies are brilliant, the former in the mould of Tina Turner ( and I hope she forgives me for pigeon-holing her that way, but so we can make some connections given cultural biases). Cesaria is like, for lack of a better, immediate comparison, a Cape Verdean Celia Cruz, but with a different style, totally different.
                      Peter R

Comment

Das right, wicked singah.

Comment

Not in order but
                          Stevie Wonder(pre late 90s)
                          David Ruffin
                          Sam Cooke
                          Minnie
                          Whitney are some of those that comes to mind right now.

While others are great I love singers that go places that many others can't go and are not afraid to lay it on the line

When it comes to yard
                          D Brown
                          Bunny Rugs
                          Sanchez (because of his ability to hold some wicked notes)

Note: Sanchez may not be of my favorites singers but I am talking ability here.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And that's why I said there are times when a singer does an outstanding job on a particular song, whereas otherwise he may may not rank highly on your list. Sanchez on Amazing Grace is absolutely sensational!

No Jamaican list is complete without Richie Stephens' name, btw.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah Sanchez is great on Amazing Grace. You know he has a very good range when you hear that and some of his other songs but his content and ability as a writer sometimes let him down.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It have a ting name coc...why, look at the time!

Gots to run!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X