No announcement yet.

Your Top 5 Greatest Black Singers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes and who could leave out probably the greatest entertainer Celia Cruz from Cuba. I personally heard Leontyne price sing and I have never heard a better singer in my life.

Comment

Yes, there is great variability in what we all consider a great singer, however I am very interested in your non comment on who is black and who is not. Is black a Western Hemisphere construct?

Comment

Histy, you know this is going to be a long thread, so I suggest you start over and give clearer boundaries and definition of Greatness and "Black" singers. I noticed that your list does not include any female singers and I'll put that down to an oversight on your part. Ever so often someone comes here with a list that really hurts the brain. Please, I a beg yuh to refine your list and come again. Marc Anthony is on a list for me, but is he black? If I trace his lineage I might find a likkle black juice inna him. Gerald Alston is maybe number one on my list not to mention the great Luther. ~sigh~ this is too hard.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Histy, you know this is going to be a long thread, so I suggest you start over and give clearer boundaries and definition of Greatness and "Black" singers. I noticed that your list does not include any female singers and I'll put that down to an oversight on your part. Ever so often someone comes here with a list that really hurts the brain. Please, I a beg yuh to refine your list and come again. Marc Anthony is on a list for me, but is he black? If I trace his lineage I might find a likkle black juice inna him. Gerald Alston is maybe number one on my list not to mention the great Luther. ~sigh~ this is too hard.
          Nothing hard bout it ... just say Fat Luther and yuh cool. That alone is 1-5.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Nothing hard bout it ... just say Fat Luther and yuh cool. That alone is 1-5.
            No sah, it hard. Stephanie Mills, Regina Belle, Mariah Carey, Minnie Riperton, Beresford Hammond, Freddie McGregor, John Holt, Solomon Burke. And those are just the ones off the top of my head.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Whitney
              Minnie Riperton
              David Ruffin
              Teena Marie
              John Holt

Comment

teena marie qualified as black because she had some black in her (rick james)? or are you referring to a genre?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

LOL! At least him deh pon stand by! Marvin Gaye and David Ruffin nuh even inna Historian airport.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

me woulda classify her as black and she MUST be on my list. Michael Jackson MUSt be on my list, but is he black?

Comment

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to name five without putting in certain criteria, conditions and caveats. For instance, there may be one particular song that an artist delivered that I think is remarkable, yet that singer, generally, would not be in my top 5. And my list is more a favourites list than a pure best singers list.

Anyway, this is just bar room talk, so without further a due (sic),
                      this is my list:

Luther
                      Jon Secada (he's black, right?)
                      David Ruffin
                      Charlie Wilson
                      Ray Charles (on Song for You)

Rahtid, a 5 dat arready?

Ok, I must at least mention:

Jacob Miller
                      Force MDs
                      Bunny Rugs Clarke

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

is it where yuh start or where yuh end up?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I am sorry but to lump ALL 'black singers' into one genre of 'singing' does not do justice. Do we have pop, soul, jazz, r&b...etc. etc.?
                          Who are the top 5 greatest white athletes? Who are the top 5 greatest black dentists?

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                            me woulda classify her as black and she MUST be on my list. Michael Jackson MUSt be on my list, but is he black?
                            Good question! Das why Kartel never mek my list!

Wooiiee, mi melanin!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

one thing at a time....

Comment

I know! You'd really have to break it down like that.

Can one compare Force MDs to a Paul Robeson? Leontyne Price to Whitney?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X