(As posted by HL earlier today)

Originally posted by HL
    My random list:

Marvin Gaye
    Sam Cooke
    Curtis Mayfield
    Barry White
    Michael Jackson

(this is much tougher than I thought Historian)

Comment

Historian’s Top 5 Greatest Black Singers

I could justify each of my selections below, but maybe that’s not necessary. So, here is Historian’s list of those he views as the Greatest Black Singers. Please note that the names are not listed in terms of perceived greatness, but rather, in simple alphabetical order.

Solomon Burke
      Ronnie Dyson
      Larnelle Harris (gospel)
      Tony Williams (lead singer for the Platters)
      Jackie Wilson

Others Who Just Barely Missed Making The List:
      Sam Cooke
      Donnie McClurkin (gospel)
      Luther Vandross

Comment

1)Marcia Griffiths-Phyliss Dillion
        2)John Holt
        3)Dennis Brown
        4)Mahalia Jackson-Gospel
        5)Teddy Pendegast.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I am considerig adding David Ruffin and removing someone on my list......
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Where does your black line stop and start, I already see a massive English language based Western Hemisphere bias in pretty much everything I have seen so far. So by black do you specifically mean people of mostly african descent in the United States/canada and the english speaking Caribbean.

Comment

1. Celia Cruz
              2. Billie Holiday
              3. Louis Armstrong
              4. Leontyne Price
              5. Gilberto Gil

Comment

Paul Robeson
                David Ruffin
                Teddy P
                Donnie Hathaway
                Minnie Ripperton

Toots Hibbert

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Good Point

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                  Where does your black line stop and start, I already see a massive English language based Western Hemisphere bias in pretty much everything I have seen so far. So by black do you specifically mean people of mostly african descent in the United States/canada and the english speaking Caribbean.
                  Interesting question/point, Stoni , and you are correct in your comment on the Western-biased nature of my personal list. Remember, though, that a listing such as this is very subjective, as there are no real parameters that define “greatness” in the arts. Maybe I should have titled this thread “Top 5 Favorite Black Singers.” Also, the only singers I listen to are men and women who sing in the English language or any of its variations.

The singers I have selected are those who have impressed me most of all. For example, just listen to the lead vocalist (Tony Williams) in the 1950s group the Platters. He has a naturally beautiful tone combined with a great range.

By the way, if Elton John and Tom Jones were black, they would make the “Top 10” of this list.

WHAT IS MY CRITERIA FOR GREATNESS? Here, for the forumites to judge, is an example of a singer I consider truly “great” - Larnelle Harris . This man is an incredible singer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHnHEY8pHU0

Comment

For me Whitney Houston IS deserving.....

Comment

With a general question like that, these are my sort of top 5 in no particular order.

Nat King Cole
                      Aretha Franklin
                      Ray Charles
                      James Brown
                      Whitney Houston
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Let's correct this thing once and for all.
                        1. Luther Vandross (mawga one! as the fat one would take all 5 slots).
                        2. Aretha Franklin
                        3. Whitney Houston
                        4. David Ruffin.
                        5. Dennis Brown
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

I could justify each of my selections below, but maybe that’s not necessary. So, here is Historian’s list of those he views as the Greatest Black Singers. Please note that the names are not listed in terms of perceived greatness, but rather, in simple alphabetical order.

Solomon Burke
                          Ronnie Dyson
                          Larnelle Harris (gospel)
                          Tony Williams (lead singer for the Platters)
                          Jackie Wilson

Others Who Just Barely Missed Making The List:
                          Sam Cooke
                          Donnie McClurkin (gospel)
                          Luther Vandross

Luther Vandross barely missed making the list? Historian put down those beer mugs.
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Correction for my * 3) Beres & Dennis.
                            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Gilberto Gil...

Hmmmm good one S-gut.

Brazilian right?
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X