• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A letter to the diaspora

A letter to the diaspora
    Barbara Gloudon
    Friday, May 18, 2007

DEAR COUSIN A FOREIGN:
    These days, the letter columns of our daily newspapers are overwhelmed with correspondence from the diaspora. It seems that members of the Jamaican family living overseas - and that means almost every corner of the globe - have become greatly preoccupied with what is happening here.

From all the continents the opinions come - on the failings of the government, the lapses in all systems - education, health, justice, name it. Everybody writes to take note of our descent into crime and violence. Nobody makes any reference to how those same issues are affecting the countries where they're now domiciled.

On the face of it, poor JA is the only place where parents have cause to be concerned about their children's future or where the gun casts a deadly shadow over the landscape or where the cost of daily survival goes Up, but not Down. I guess you don't wish to add to our burdens by telling us about your challenges, but you know. it might help sometimes to admit that the whole world is in a state of turmoil and we're not unique - nor are you.

We cannot excuse the mess we get ourselves into Down Here. How on earth did we end up in a situation where the reporting of senseless violence is the major preoccupation of today's media? The story of who shot whom is told with such frequency that it has become almost like a script learnt by rote. We know exactly how each report will begin and how it ends. What we are not hearing is where the guns and the bullets come from. The only thing we know is that we don't make them.

Uncle Roxie, who went to war but never fired a gun, said the other day that the only gun he really knew was a plant called "duppy pop gun" which made a pop-pop sound when bits of it were pulled apart. Well, that done and gone long time. Is the real McCoy we have to deal with these days and don't ask if it hasn't exhausted us.

Everybody, it seems, has advice on what we should do. Many of the family from where you are, write to say if only one could get our people educated and give them all jobs and opportunities for more earnings, then the crime will abate. The guns will go away. Cousin, I wrestle with that. If only it were that simple then not only us, but every other country in the world would have no crime. If everybody could be made educated and wealthy, there'd be no need to steal or kill. So why isn't it happening Up There, where you have such an abundance, or so we're led to believe?

Many of you write to say how distressed you are at the reports that our young people are becoming semi-illiterate failures. Although it is not popular to say so, Cousin, I have problems with that blanket condemnation. I do not doubt that there are students who have been given a bum deal, as you call it in your lingo, but this should not be taken to mean that every Jamaican student is some kind of half-idiot product of a failed system.

We have some of those, but we have also produced some fine students right here. Many of them go on to excel right where you are as well as here, contrary to what you may have heard. They couldn't have done it without a good foundation. There's much more to be done and many people determined to do it. How could I deny that we have a lot to do, many more miles to travel, to attain the ultimate reward which we all seek for our children - and ourselves. So, I beg you, tek time wid wi, the next time yuh write.

PLEASE DON'T GET THE IMPRESSION that I'm dissing you or your letters here. Your generosity is appreciated. The old school is grateful for every donation which you make to the development fund. Through the generosity of yourself and others, they've been able to add some new classrooms to lessen the overcrowding and also increased the number of computers in the library. Thanks for your promise to help them go even further.

Aunt Cissie asks me to thank you for the dollars you send each month. It goes a long way towards her medical bills. We have to be persuading her, however, that it is no point wanting to migrate to live with you (whether you invite her or not). She is convinced that Jamaica is the only place where one is charged hospital bills and has to pay for medication. She says she hears that Up There you get all of that for free.

She's not interested in the things said via the television about Medicare and all that about health insurance. That has nothing to do with you and her. As to what's happening here is just bad mind and crumoochin why we don't have everything free, she says.

I hope you don't get the idea that I'm trying to give the impression that we're all here singing with Bob Marley, Every little thing is gonna be all right. We not so fool to dat, according to Uncle Thomas. How could I defend a story like this? In a certain rural community, pipes were needed for the extension of the water system. No sooner were they delivered than they disappeared - just so. Rumours spread as to who took them and why.

Then, after kass-kass had reached its peak, the member of parliament led the community on a search. The pipes were found. The water scheme is back on track. Has anyone been arrested and charged? If the pipes disappeared, someone had to have moved them and since they weren't theirs, then the law should speak to that, don't it? Apparently it didn't, not yet at least. You see now why everybody has no respect for us?

WITH ALL THAT, please think kindly of us. Send positive thoughts as we move into the Election Zone. Whoever is to win will win, and who to lose will lose, then life will go on. Pray that we do not take the campaign to such a low that not only you but others outside the family will regard us yet again as leggo beasts. They've said it before. They could say it again.

I fully agree when you say that it is full time we grew up and showed that we're worthy of being participants in democracy. Add to that Uncle Harry's advice that we should know that the rest of the world is not holding its breath for us to sort out our business. These are not the days, said he, when other people regarded our electoral business as their electoral business. His text to all Jamaica: "Grow up. Get a life." Next time, he says, he'll send it in a letter to the editor, just as soon as he gets the hang of this thing called email. Tell him Aunt Cassie is ahead of him in the technology. She says to tell him to hurry and visit so she can show him that she has two cellphones for herself, like everyone else Down Here.

Aunt Cassie plans to be buried with them. For one, they're top of the line and she says she has no intention of wasting them on her worthless relatives here. For the other, she wants to call back, she says, to see if we've learnt anything from the past.
    YOUR COUSIN B.

gloudonb@yahoo.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

If we could see ourselves as others see us

If we could see ourselves as others see us
    Henley Morgan
    Thursday, May 17, 2007

Martin Luther King Jr, who is most remembered for his "I have a dream" speech delivered at the Lincoln monument in Washington, DC, also preached many memorable sermons from the pulpit. Preached under the theme, "The American Dream", his sermon at the Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta, Georgia, on July 4, 1965 proved to be one of the more impactful on the course of race relations in America.

Midway through the sermon, he struggled to find a model of the ideal state; a frame of reference to facilitate communication of his dream for America and to make understanding easy for the listeners. He resorted to relating a recent personal experience.

"The other day Mrs King and I spent about ten days down in Jamaica. I'd gone down to deliver the commencement address at the University of the West Indies. I always love to go to that great island, which I consider the most beautiful island in the entire world. The government prevailed upon us to be their guests and spend some time and try to get a little rest while there on the speaking tour. And so for those days we travelled all over Jamaica. And over and over again I was impressed by one thing. Here you have people from many national backgrounds: Chinese, Indians, so-called Negroes, and you can just go down the line, Europeans, and people from many, many nations. Do you know they all live there and they have a motto, 'Out of many, one people'? And they say, 'Here in Jamaica we are not Chinese, we are not Japanese, we are not Indians, we are not Negroes, we are not Englishmen, we are not Canadians. But we are all one big family of Jamaicans.' One day, here in America, I hope that we will see this and we will become one big family of Americans".

MLK, a foreigner and a renowned one at that, was able to discern the spirit of Father Hugh Sherlock who 30 years later in his autobiography gave the following insight to the motto. "I have very clearly and strongly, six national backgrounds. My father has English background and African. My mother has Irish background, Portuguese, Spanish and Jewish. I am therefore an example of "Out of many one". I do not feel any conflict internally or otherwise. All these different heritages combine to make one person and I think I may safely say that I am a balanced person. If you hurt an African, I feel the hurt; if you hurt the Jew, I feel the hurt; if you hurt an Englishman, I feel the hurt; if you hurt the Irish, I feel the hurt; and the Spanish or Portuguese, I feel the hurt. I feel the hurt because there is a mixture of those five heritages in my blood". Recounted in Eternal Father Bless Our Land, authored by Yvonne Coke.

The scripture declares that there is none as blind as he who has eyes and yet refuses to see. Those who by their actions and inactions are destroying Jamaica are blind to the greatness that's within.

It is in seeing the greatness of Jamaica that Theodore Sealy, Hugh Sherlock and others were inspired to pen the words which we recite as part of the National Pledge. "I promise to stand up for justice, brotherhood and peace, to work diligently and creatively, to think generously and honestly, so that Jamaica may under God increase in beauty, fellowship and prosperity and play her part in advancing the welfare of the whole human race". This is the role that MLK perceived little Jamaica to be playing on the world stage; setting an example worthy of emulation by the greatest superpower of all times. But we at home and in the diaspora just don't get it, do we?

Out of line with the direction so eloquently communicated by our National Motto, Anthem and Pledge (the MAP), we like blind Bartimeus (St Mark 10: 46 - 52) sit on the roadside of life waiting for help to pass by. The blindness we suffer is not genetic; we were not created that way. We are blind because we choose to focus on achieving our narrow selfish ends with indifference to the common good.

The blindness is compounded by lack of understanding of what makes a nation truly great. People point to: Highway 2000, mansions on the hillside, late model vehicles on traffic-clogged city streets, cell phones sometimes two and more to a person, feats on the international field of sport, scholarly academic performances and stirring rhetoric by our diplomats in the great conference halls of the world and they say, Jamaica is advancing towards being world-class.

Without diminishing the many fine accomplishments, it is a truism that true greatness comes when one moves beyond what the eyes outwardly see (Author Stephen Covey calls this secondary greatness) to affect what the heart and soul of man inwardly feel (primary greatness).

One of the amazing paradoxes of our time is the fact that despite the negatives, the world still looks on; expectantly waiting to see Jamaica take its rightful place among the great nations of the world. If only we could see within ourselves what others see in us.

hmorgan@cwjamaica.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      A letter to the diaspora
      Barbara Gloudon
      Friday, May 18, 2007

DEAR COUSIN A FOREIGN:
      These days, the letter columns of our daily newspapers are overwhelmed with correspondence from the diaspora. It seems that members of the Jamaican family living overseas - and that means almost every corner of the globe - have become greatly preoccupied with what is happening here.

From all the continents the opinions come - on the failings of the government, the lapses in all systems - education, health, justice, name it. Everybody writes to take note of our descent into crime and violence. Nobody makes any reference to how those same issues are affecting the countries where they're now domiciled.

On the face of it, poor JA is the only place where parents have cause to be concerned about their children's future or where the gun casts a deadly shadow over the landscape or where the cost of daily survival goes Up, but not Down. I guess you don't wish to add to our burdens by telling us about your challenges, but you know. it might help sometimes to admit that the whole world is in a state of turmoil and we're not unique - nor are you.

We cannot excuse the mess we get ourselves into Down Here. How on earth did we end up in a situation where the reporting of senseless violence is the major preoccupation of today's media? The story of who shot whom is told with such frequency that it has become almost like a script learnt by rote. We know exactly how each report will begin and how it ends. What we are not hearing is where the guns and the bullets come from. The only thing we know is that we don't make them.

Uncle Roxie, who went to war but never fired a gun, said the other day that the only gun he really knew was a plant called "duppy pop gun" which made a pop-pop sound when bits of it were pulled apart. Well, that done and gone long time. Is the real McCoy we have to deal with these days and don't ask if it hasn't exhausted us.

Everybody, it seems, has advice on what we should do. Many of the family from where you are, write to say if only one could get our people educated and give them all jobs and opportunities for more earnings, then the crime will abate. The guns will go away. Cousin, I wrestle with that. If only it were that simple then not only us, but every other country in the world would have no crime. If everybody could be made educated and wealthy, there'd be no need to steal or kill. So why isn't it happening Up There, where you have such an abundance, or so we're led to believe?

Many of you write to say how distressed you are at the reports that our young people are becoming semi-illiterate failures. Although it is not popular to say so, Cousin, I have problems with that blanket condemnation. I do not doubt that there are students who have been given a bum deal, as you call it in your lingo, but this should not be taken to mean that every Jamaican student is some kind of half-idiot product of a failed system.

We have some of those, but we have also produced some fine students right here. Many of them go on to excel right where you are as well as here, contrary to what you may have heard. They couldn't have done it without a good foundation. There's much more to be done and many people determined to do it. How could I deny that we have a lot to do, many more miles to travel, to attain the ultimate reward which we all seek for our children - and ourselves. So, I beg you, tek time wid wi, the next time yuh write.

PLEASE DON'T GET THE IMPRESSION that I'm dissing you or your letters here. Your generosity is appreciated. The old school is grateful for every donation which you make to the development fund. Through the generosity of yourself and others, they've been able to add some new classrooms to lessen the overcrowding and also increased the number of computers in the library. Thanks for your promise to help them go even further.

Aunt Cissie asks me to thank you for the dollars you send each month. It goes a long way towards her medical bills. We have to be persuading her, however, that it is no point wanting to migrate to live with you (whether you invite her or not). She is convinced that Jamaica is the only place where one is charged hospital bills and has to pay for medication. She says she hears that Up There you get all of that for free.

She's not interested in the things said via the television about Medicare and all that about health insurance. That has nothing to do with you and her. As to what's happening here is just bad mind and crumoochin why we don't have everything free, she says.

I hope you don't get the idea that I'm trying to give the impression that we're all here singing with Bob Marley, Every little thing is gonna be all right. We not so fool to dat, according to Uncle Thomas. How could I defend a story like this? In a certain rural community, pipes were needed for the extension of the water system. No sooner were they delivered than they disappeared - just so. Rumours spread as to who took them and why.

Then, after kass-kass had reached its peak, the member of parliament led the community on a search. The pipes were found. The water scheme is back on track. Has anyone been arrested and charged? If the pipes disappeared, someone had to have moved them and since they weren't theirs, then the law should speak to that, don't it? Apparently it didn't, not yet at least. You see now why everybody has no respect for us?

WITH ALL THAT, please think kindly of us. Send positive thoughts as we move into the Election Zone. Whoever is to win will win, and who to lose will lose, then life will go on. Pray that we do not take the campaign to such a low that not only you but others outside the family will regard us yet again as leggo beasts. They've said it before. They could say it again.

I fully agree when you say that it is full time we grew up and showed that we're worthy of being participants in democracy. Add to that Uncle Harry's advice that we should know that the rest of the world is not holding its breath for us to sort out our business. These are not the days, said he, when other people regarded our electoral business as their electoral business. His text to all Jamaica: "Grow up. Get a life." Next time, he says, he'll send it in a letter to the editor, just as soon as he gets the hang of this thing called email. Tell him Aunt Cassie is ahead of him in the technology. She says to tell him to hurry and visit so she can show him that she has two cellphones for herself, like everyone else Down Here.

Aunt Cassie plans to be buried with them. For one, they're top of the line and she says she has no intention of wasting them on her worthless relatives here. For the other, she wants to call back, she says, to see if we've learnt anything from the past.
      YOUR COUSIN B.

gloudonb@yahoo.com
      Karl are you related to Barbara Gloudon ?

I mean if you never put her name to it I would have thought this defensive tripe was yours.. Partisan Jibe and all.. she just could not help herself.

I wonder who she thinks she is trying to fool ?

She came on a vist to Nothern California courtesy of the Jamaica Assocation and I was invited to the dinner being recognized as a person who had some relevant inputs. I mentioned Mutty and she almost bit off my head !. I actually fell for her speil on Jamaica and agreed to be the guest speaker on her program which was taped that weekened and played the following Monday. That was over 6 years ago.

Now that I have a FULL AND UPFRONT understanding of what is ACTUALLY going on in Jamaica I regret giving her the time of day.. I see her story has not changed.. Whistling in the Wind..

Comment

I have had it with Barbara Gloudon's crap. I have no patience with anyone who likes to talk nonsense about the rest of the world having problems, so why are we acting like Jamaica is unique. If Barbara can show me 3 other countries with a higher murder rate, whose police kill as recklessly as ours do, whose education is in such shambles (72% having no subjects!), etc., etc. then maybe I will finish reading her ridiculous letter.

Look at T&T. Yes, they are having a pretty tough time with surging crime, yet it is still waaay better than we are, to show you the levels where we have sunk.

Miss G need fi chill with har pathetic crap!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"scholarly academic performances" - makes me wanna puke!

For every scholar, we have 7 without a subject!

hrmph!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mutty seh Jamaica had the chance to show the World what a black nation could do such that Singapore would be a far second.. we had a chance and what did we do with it.. simply give more material to those that espouse that we are jokers.

What a damn shame.

Comment

Working...
            X