Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Tom's Cabin, Free in Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Cabin-Ha...s+a+slave+free
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Glad you mention this book.

I am in the process of re-reading certain books.

I am currently most of the way through Things Fall Apart.

I have a much better appreciation for this book a second time around.

Two more books i want to read again are Papillon and Sho-Gun.

Thanks Hortical One, I will add Uncle Tom's Cabin to my re-read list.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

HL quite a number of the classics are free in kindle format. Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Jules Verne collections and others like Up From Slavery by Booker T Washington and The souls of Black Folk by WEb Du Bois.

Even better, Amazon has this thing called Whispersync for Voice that is a Kindle add-on which gives you professional narration for many kindle books. It doesn't usually cost more than a few dollars for the audio add-on. It keeps track of where you are so can switch between text and audio at will. Not all of the classic free kindle books have it yet but many do. Most contemporary books in kindle editions have the option, for example Malcom Gladwells books.

I LOVE it. It has made my commutes to and from work so much more productive, I must have completed the equivalent of a University degree by now just listening to audiobooks on various subjects relevant to my profession and business interests.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Hortical, HL, I-man:

Did you see this? I got 36. I started quite a few of the others but didn't complete them. I'm now reading Mitch Albom's , Five people you meet in Heaven.

I don't recall any African writers on the list, nor West Indians ; Though maybe a VS Naipaul might have made it. Anyway, one of my favourites of that 100 is "A Confederacy of Dunces".
        Peter R

Comment

I would guess I have read all of Mitch Albom's books incl. the one you cited.

Have not gotten into audio books as yet...but planning to do so.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

If I see any of those for free, I'll post it.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
            X