Utech Academic Battle rocks Jamaica's Silicon Gully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utech Academic Battle rocks Jamaica's Silicon Gully

'I will fight' - Embattled UTech president defends stewardship, thrashes 'one-sided' report

Published: Thursday | March 13, 2014

Professor Errol Morrison, president of the University of Technology.

Anastasia Cunningham, News Coordinator

Accusing the Special Advisory Committee of having an agenda, president of the University of Technology (UTech) Professor Errol Morrison has declared that he has no regrets or apologies for the way he has managed the institution during his seven-year tenure.

"They are not interested in the truth. They are not prepared to listen to management and other views. They are listening to all kinds of skewed things because they have an agenda. They want to turn the place back into a training school," he adamantly told The Gleaner.

Morrison was speaking in response to recommendations put forward in a report by the four-member committee set up to probe allegations of financial irregularities and bad governance at the university.

Released in February, the report noted that the university breached a number of government guidelines, made several unapproved appointments, and lacked transparency and accountability in its operations and spending practices - all of which has led to serious mistrust among the staff.

Among other things, the committee recommended that the Government take immediate steps to search for a new president as well as exercise more control over the university.

'INACCURATE DATA'

"A lot of what is in the report is inaccurate data built on one-sided information. That is why I am upset. They just want to tear me down, but they can't succeed," Morrison said defiantly.

He said over the years, he has been working to bring UTech to a level of international flavour and credibility, which he said has been met with a certain amount of acclaim as well as resentment.

"They do not like the expansion and development that they see, and I think that is one of the main things behind it. Although they are not coming out and saying it, this is what we are hearing. But I feel that my administration has made a big push to try and stay afloat as an internationally recognised institution, and I make no apologies for that. I have no regrets on what we have managed to achieve," he said.

Morrison said every decision made was properly discussed and agreed on with all the relevant parties before he signed off, "so the whole institution would be culpable if something goes wrong".

He acknowledged that there was a deficit of trust between staff and management, but said this was not unique to UTech, and he is looking at enhancing the communication to bridge that gap.

Dismissing the suggestion for the Government to take greater control of the institution, Morrison said with an annual budget of $6.5 billion to operate the institution, the university's administration has no choice but to take decisions based on need, sustainability and the survival of the university.

"Of that figure, less than 30 per cent comes from the Government, roughly 50 per cent is coming from student fees, and 20 per cent from our own investments, projects, consultancies, and so on," he said.

"So with the greater portion of our income coming from students, we have to respond to what the students want. It is not everything that Government would like to see them do they (the students) would like to do. A university must be universal, training all its young minds for the world market. The worst thing you could do to an institution is let government take control, because the bureaucracy of government stifles. Don't stifle the students, let them be; let the university be. Support it in the areas that you see the need, and let it be universal as a university," he stressed.

Morrison said the fact that UTech's student population has doubled in five years speaks for itself in terms of the response to his management and approach.

"We are now bursting at the seams with 14,000 students and added campuses across the island. Students go where they think the programmes are best and where they think they will get the best value for their money," he said.

BILLION-DOLLAR RESERVE

Additionally, Morrison said, "UTech has $2.7 billion in reserve, and there is no other tertiary institution that can show you that. So I have nothing to apologise for. I am making money for the institution."

He also dismissed the suggestion that he has passed the retirement age, as his contract states that he will be eligible for retirement at age 70, which will be next year September.

Morrison said that after 40 years in academia, if his style and approach is disliked, "let us part and shake hands, but do not try to tear me down. UTech may have its shortcomings in certain areas, but the place is well run."

UTech's council is expected to make a decision on the recommendations of the committee by next week.

"If, at the end of the day, the council asks me to step down, I will go. But I know that I have made a change, a big difference and this institution will never be the same. I have made my mark, and I am cool with that. I have caused an evolution and a revolution," Morrison said.

"But one thing is clear: if I am going down, I am going down with a fight, not for me, but for the country and the young people who need to have an opportunity to sit at the round table with the very best in the world. That is what we need. That is how you become a developed country."
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007
Working...
X