• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly no-vote lobby

Silly no-vote lobby
    published: Wednesday | May 16, 2007

Delroy Chuck

Jamaica's fledgling democracy is under threat. Hitherto, it was violence, corruption and chaos but, with the Electoral Advisory Committee, now Commission, elections are generally free and fair, and free from fear. Now, we have to contend with a silly no-vote lobby that is fed up with the wrong direction and terrible state of the country. If the nation needs a new sense of purpose and direction, it is time to act, not to withdraw.

Advising not to vote is downright stupid
    To advise people not to vote is downright stupid and should be dismissed and ignored by decent, well-thinking Jamaicans. If one gives some thought to the matter, it becomes obvious that the no-vote lobby is part of a PNP conspiracy. With a low voter turnout, the chances of the PNP are much better than the JLP, as even though both parties have hard-core supporters, the PNP's fanatical support is around 30 per cent to the JLP's 20 per cent. If there is a turnout of less than 60 per cent, the PNP could be returned for the fifth term, which is probably what the no-vote lobby wants.

Even though the PNP diehards are fed up with the crime and violence, the lack of jobs, poor roads, inadequate health service, deteriorating education performance, injustice and hopelessness everywhere, they will still vote for their party. Most of them have been well served by the PNP government that has provided contracts and jobs to the well-connected and, at election time, will provide the usual handouts, fertiliser, goat and chicken, to lift the spirit of the Comrades. Thus, we can expect the PNP to get at least 360,000 votes spread across the 60 constituencies, with or without a no-vote lobby. If the JLP is to secure a majority, it has to get well over 400,000 votes and a no-vote lobby can only hurt the JLP.

Partisan diehards
    In truth, Jamaican democracy should not be left to the partisan diehards who put their party first and everything else after. Our people have the good sense and good judgement to make sensible choices, and to choose even between the bad and the not so bad. In a general election, a voter can place emphasis, inter alia, on the candidates of choice, the issues that will affect the nation, the party's performance, the image and personality of the leaders, etc. To avoid and fail to vote is not a sensible choice, especially when the future direction of the country is at stake. It is time we ask our people to think and avoid being misled by persons with hidden and devious agendas.

With elections on the horizon, every citizen and prospective voter should become aware of the lies, propaganda and spin-doctoring of commentators and partisan supporters. When parties fail to deliver the truth and properly research the facts, it is incumbent on voters to question their credibility and trustworthiness. When a citizen votes, it should be done after careful consideration. Politicians, their supporters and their parties must be judged, and judged harshly. Those who seek to govern must be above reproach and their utterances and behaviour should be analysed carefully. Our people must also be very careful with even what they read and hear.

In Monday's newspapers, The Gleaner published a Letter of the Day written by Josie Campbell, but which exact letter was also published in the Observer written by one Julian J. Robinson. Who really taught in rural Jamaica and benefited from free education? The letter alleged that the JLP removed free education and imposed cost-sharing, which is untrue - it was the PNP administration of P.J. Patterson that imposed cost-sharing. Similar incorrect and misleading sentiments contained in the letter were also expressed by Lambert Brown in his guest column in Sunday's Gleaner. It is such attempts to mislead that should motivate our honest and decent citizens to come out, participate and vote.

Delroy Chuck is an attorney-at-law and Member of Parliament. He can be contacted by email at delchuck@hotmail.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

"The letter alleged that the JLP removed free education and imposed cost-sharing, which is untrue - it was the PNP administration of P.J. Patterson that imposed cost-sharing."

I do recall it was in the latter stages of my high school education when I suddenly had to pay certain fees that I could harldy afford. The JLP government was in power when those fees were introduced. Maybe they didn't call it "cost-sharing", but in the end, it didn't matter to my parents' pocket.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      "The letter alleged that the JLP removed free education and imposed cost-sharing, which is untrue - it was the PNP administration of P.J. Patterson that imposed cost-sharing."

I do recall it was in the latter stages of my high school education when I suddenly had to pay certain fees that I could harldy afford. The JLP government was in power when those fees were introduced. Maybe they didn't call it "cost-sharing", but in the end, it didn't matter to my parents' pocket.
      Why were your parents in such a position ?

If they were Black then they should have been living high on the hog after all the money was divided up from the 21 Families... I wonder why Joshua had to eff up tings so that we could not all have 'free education' all di way to PhD if wi want..

Yuh have pickney going school tidday ? Maybe that is the reason why yuh vote Rasta Party.. not feeling certain tings in the pocket.

Comment

But I thought Julian Robinson was a Deputy General Secretary and Councillor Candidate for the Trafalgar Division and Campaign Manager for Maxine-Henry Wilson.. ?

Must be another Julian Robinson..

Comment

Working...
        X