RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under what conditions can I shoot my student?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under what conditions can I shoot my student?

UPDATE: GOP Majority On House State Affairs Approves Idaho Guns on Campus Measure
    Posted by George Prentice and Harrison Berry on Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM

UPDATE: Feb. 28, 2014 4 p.m.
    Following six hours of testimony from scores of Idaho citizens testifying nearly four-to-one in opposition, the Idaho House State Affairs Committee voted 11 to 3 in the late afternoon of Feb. 28 to approve the so-called "guns on campus" bill, sending it the full Idaho House—the final hurdle before the measure presumably heads to the governor's office for his ultimate decision.
    Friday's committee vote was strictly along party lines, with the body's 11 Republicans all voting in favor of Senate Bill 1254 and three Democrats voting no.
    After dozens of students, parents, professors and law enforcement had their say in front of the committee, Boise State President Bob Kustra walked to the microphone and said he was "mystified why our friends in the Legislature are insisting on this in spite of the objections of almost everyone."
    Kustra wondered aloud what his campus would look like once signage began being constructed at Boise State, indicating where weapons would or would not be allowed, particularly at Taco Bell Arena and Bronco Stadium.
    "And once we put up a sign saying 'no guns," the liability shifts to us when there is a gun and something goes wrong," said Kustra.
    Former Idaho House Speaker, and current Boise State spokesman, Bruce Newcomb asked the House committee, "What's the emergency here?"
    "If you think this bill was a collaborative bill and we were part of the process, it wasn't," said Newcomb. "It was a silo process. My suggestion is this: instead of ramming this bill through, invite all the stakeholders to the table.:
    Then, Newcomb likened the guns on campus bill to another recent controversial chapter in the Idaho Legislature's history: the Luna Laws.
    "We already went through something like this on Props 1, 2, and 3," said Newcomb, referring to Idaho voters overturning the legislature's vote to approve the controversial education measures crafted by Idaho School Superintendent Tom Luna.
    But Newcomb's former Republican colleagues were having none of it, and powered through their vote to pass the guns on campus bill, sending the measure to the full House with a "do pass" recommendation.

ORIGINAL POST: Feb. 28, 2014 12 p.m.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015
Working...
X