Not a big Oscar fan but it was nice to see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a big Oscar fan but it was nice to see

12 Years a Slave pick up a few awards, especially Best Film.

First time that a black director has won the Best Film award.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
    12 Years a Slave pick up a few awards, especially Best Film.

First time that a black director has won the Best Film award.
    Of all the nominees, that's the only one I saw.

Unhappy that Happy didn't win as well. Guess those voting were busy singing the catchy tune, they forgot to vote for it.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Saw two of the movies for Best Film. Captain Phillips & 12 years. Risky business producing 12 years, it was not a hit and was not supported in the black community. Black people tend to prefer Madea type movies over serious topics like 12 years.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Not necessarily that they prefer watching Madea movies. For some of us, it is very very painful to read/relive the experience of our ancestors. My other half, when he was alive could not.

I am now reading the book, probably will take me a long time to complete; because I get very emotional and curse, with violent thoughts bordering on blasphemy!
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
          ...I get very emotional and curse, with violent thoughts bordering on blasphemy!
          So you ok then! Try bordering on homicide!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You might like this:
            http://www.upworthy.com/oscar-winner...speechless?g=2
            Peter R

Comment

Working...
            X