Highway probe - Contractor General investigates controversia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway probe - Contractor General investigates controversia

Highway probe - Contractor General investigates controversial Highway 2000 project
    published: Wednesday | May 16, 2007

Tyrone Reid & Edmond Campbell, Gleaner [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Writers[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    The new phase of Highway 2000 is immersed in controversy and Minister of [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Transport[/COLOR][/COLOR] and Works, Robert Pickersgill, has been unable to defend the Government's actions in the face of mounting accusations that this segment of the multibillion-dollar project was illegally given to TransJamaican Highway (TJH), the local arm of French construction company Bouygues Travaux Public.
    Minister Pickersgill told The Gleaner yesterday tha the contract was not put to tender as stipulated by the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]government's [COLOR=orange! important]procurement[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] guidelines, all phases of the Highway 2000 project were covered by the concession agreement.
    However, concerned citizens, Dr. Martin Aub and his wife Beth, are contending that the current contract with TJH was to develop the recently concluded phase 1A, which includes [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Kingston[/COLOR][/COLOR] to Sandy Bay, as well as the Portmore toll bridge, and gives an option forphase 1B, which is approximately 37 kilometres from Sandy Bay in Clarendon to Williamsfield, Manchester.
    They argued that the Government's decision to give the contract for phase two, which was not mentioned in the initial concession agreement, to Bouygues, rather than putting it to tender was illegal.
    This, among other concerns, has sparked an investigation by the Office of the Contractor General into all phases of the project.
    In an interview yesterday, Contractor General Greg Christie told The Gleaner that the probe started in November last year and that he and his team were working assiduously to conclude the matter.
    Mr. Christie refused to comment further on the matter until investigations were completed.
    During queries by our news team, Mr. Pickersgill was unable to provide specific answers to the contractual arrangement and sought to contact head of the National Road Operating and Constructing Company (NROCC), Ivan Anderson to give details.
    However, attempts by the Minister to reach Mr. Anderson while our news team waited on the phone, were unsuccessful. Questions were also emailed to Mr. Anderson on Monday but a response was not forthcoming.
    Still, Mr. Pickersgill, who admitted that he did not have the details, pointed out that Highway 2000 was a concession to TransJamaican Highway.
    Making reference to the original contract, Mr. Pickersgill said that as long as the company abided by the terms of the concession agreement it had first right of refusal for all other phases of Highway 2000.
    "To the best of my knowledge, going to Ocho Rios was not subject to tender but that has been taken care of," he said.
    "That's why simultaneously with going to Ocho Rios they will have to proceed to Williamsfield," he added.
    Meanwhile, head of the National Contracts Commission (NCC) Secretariat, Richard Dowie, said that NROCC met with the NCC seeking approval for a US$99.5 million variation of the existing concession agreement.
    Reading from the minutes of the meeting on April 25, he said "we (NROCC) are requesting a variation to an existing concession agreement to carry out design and build contract for Mount Rosser by-pass".
    It states further that the concession agreement "would foresee that there would have been a subsequent phase to the first contract which gave them the right of first refusal of doing the subsequent phase to the holder of the concession".
    But, Dr. and Mrs. Aub are contending that the awarding process was illegal.
    "Phase 1B was already the subject of competitive bidding between Bouygues and the Spanish company Dragados. To now arbitrarily phase the entire routing of phase 1b would in effect be unfair to Dragados, and would make the original tender process meaningless." They added "the route to Ocho Rios is nearly twice as long and through far more mountainous and difficult terrain and therefore more costly".
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Gwey wid you partisan tribalisms.. don't stap di progress !!

Wheh yuh seh.. route change.. who demand dat.. is dat in the best interest of the people or di 'Preferred' Developer...

Don't stap di progress..

Comment

Mosiah this is the real reason there is no growth. People who suppose to defend the rules take advantage of it.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuh nuh hear all politicians are the same.. I mean even thought the RESULTS are not the same.. dem all di same..

Ooops..No wait scratch that.. Sistah 'P' is the exception..

It would be funny if not so very very sad.

Comment

Good! I have no problem with this!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Good! I have no problem with this!
            Wheh yuh seh.. Escalade expensive to maintain...

Comment

It is only one of the reasons. I think there might be more significant reasons.

When it comes to Pickersgill...how dare anyone question the legality of what he does. And I have found Ivan Anderson rather shortsighted in quite a few things. This arrogant behaviour of not taking calls has got to stop too. Highway 2000 is not their private driveway. Or is it?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Eddie, Eddie.. why have you forsaken us...

Comment

Mosiah our problem comes from leadership. If the government can't control these renegade ministers, how is it that we going to constrain spending and get value for money.

If we get value for money we can repair 2 roads instead of one and thus more people get a little bit more. take that concept and bring it to water commission, all the govt contracts etc. and it will be a big start.

But the lack of leadership and bandooloism have to first change.

Comment

Working...
                  X