• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cayman Signs 100th Company for Economic Zone

Cayman Enterprise City Economic Zone Signs 100th Company

February 5, 2014 | 11:33 am | Print

Above: a rendering of the future home of Cayman Enterprise City

By the Caribbean Journal staff
    The Cayman Enterprise City special economic zone in Grand Cayman has signed its 100th company, CEC announced this week.
    The knowledge-based economic zone has been focused on attracting media, technology, biotech and other similar companies, highlighting a range of special economic concessions granted by the government.
    The concessions include 100 percent exemptions from corporate tax, capital gains tax, sales tax, income tax, among others.
    “We began 2013 with 29 companies on board and as of early January, we have brought 100 new companies with employees to Grand Cayman,” said Cayman Enterprise City CEO Charlie Kirkconnell.
    The company said there are plans to break ground for a permanent zone campus in an as-yet-undisclosed location early this year, with the potential for 750,000 to 1 million square feet of Class A office space and business facilities.
    For now, zone-designated buildings are being occupied by companies moving to Cayman, including the CEC City Centre building in George Town.
    “The new campus will be built as quickly as our client pipeline demands,” Kirkconnell said. “We estimate that once construction is completed, the new project will have injected approximately C$300 million into the local economy.”
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Maybe we can become a protectorate of Cayman !

Just a slight twist of the relationship in the 60's...

Mi cyaan even laugh to rath !

Comment

How many Garrison communities in Cayman? As you alluded to Cayman Islands was administered as a dependency of Jamaica, and split when Jamaica gained independence. How can we rope dem back into the fold?
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

How can we rope dem back into the fold?
        Good one!

I suspect that it would be them roping us in their fold, except that they have no interest in any such arrangement.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

On a more serious note, the "problem" I have seen in Cayman is that so many of the professional jobs being created are held by expatriates because there are few qualified Caymanians available.

They don't want to do the blue collar jobs (because that's what Jamaicans are for) so they end up as almost invisible in their own country.

Good jobs for professionals abound. I have thought more than twice about relocating there, but I think I would die of boredom.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

You have it the wrong way around...

On the matter of 'Garrison Community'..

What do you call a Garrison community of middle-income earners ?

What would Tivaarli resemble if each citizen was gainfully employed ?

Comment

wheh yuh seh.. yuh raddah dead of gunshot or vehicular manslaughter or...

Comment

Yeah it quicker. lol!

Comment

just a little too small for me and then no clean water but big up to them. The standard of living is good, no doubt.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

DayWalkin' Vampiya is a plague pon di nation... juss aks LKY bout di Tivarli development moggle...Crocs included. Wi wudda love hear im assessment ah di Vmpiya

Woooiiieee mi Blade!!!
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                    X