Raymond Pryce MP ...High on Ganja.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymond Pryce MP ...High on Ganja.

Why is Raymond Pryce, grand nephew of former commissioner, so high on ganja?
    MP wants end to 'slash and burn' practice by cops

BY DESMOND ALLEN Executive Editor - Special Assignment allend@jamaicaobserver.com

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

PRYCE… Ganja is a keystone sector in the way forward with more potential than people initially thought possible. ROBINSON… late commissioner of police. MICHAEL MANLEY… Jamaica was a leader in the non-aligned movement under his leadership.

A little known fact about Raymond Pryce, the North East St Elizabeth member of parliament, is that he is the grandnephew of Jamaica's first native commissioner of police and former custos of St Catherine, Basil Robinson.

More known to the people of Mile Gully, St Ann, is that Pryce is the grandson of a woman, Mary Pryce, who developed home remedies from ganja and whose family has retained several of her remedy formulas, including ganja, to this day.

That partially explains why Pryce has been at the forefront of activities by a rapidly growing local and international lobby for legalisation of ganja, with the bigger vision being a thriving ganja industry in Jamaica, built on the weed's long history that advocates like the MP say has put the island way ahead of countries now salivating about the economic prospects.

Pryce is not only a lobbyist for decriminalisation/legalisation of ganja. He plans to optimise on his grandmother's remedies, once the Jamaican Government removes the legal impediment, which now seems to be a foregone conclusion, because the two major political parties appear at one on the issue.

If Pryce is going after something, it's a safe bet he'll get it. After a stint as the articulate spokesman for the Consumer Affairs Commission, he suddenly emerged as the People's National Party (PNP) candidate for North East St Elizabeth in the 2011 general elections. He had a mere one month to win the seat!

And Pryce's current high on ganja includes prospects for economic projects in the constituency.

Mary Pryce died six years ago not knowing that ganja would soon be hailed as a new economic saviour of Jamaica. But her grandson is determined to make something of her work back in the day in the rustic garden parish where it's an open secret that ganja is widely grown. Ganja's impact on Pryce's family is mixed.

"On one hand, Commissioner Robinson would have instilled in us a strong respect for law and order which, in truth, we have. As commissioner as well, he headed the Jamaica Constabulary Force, which has always maintained a strong prohibition regime against ganja as per the relevant laws -- especially the Dangerous Drugs Act.

"At the same time, I had another grand uncle (also now deceased) who abused ganja and was, while not officially diagnosed, an alcoholic. He once said the reason he drank so much rum was because he couldn't figure out how to eat it instead of drinking it. I also have relatives who are Rastafarians and others who are medical and legal professionals.

"Therefore I am patently aware of the pros and cons for the use and/or abuse of ganja, its therapeutic benefits, medicinal benefits and social and religious benefits, as well as the hazards associated with its abuse, especially when combined with alcohol abuse," Pryce said in an interview with the Jamaica Observer as he was leaving the historic first ganja forum that launched the Future Ganja Growers and Producers Association recently.

Signalling his full support for a ganja economy in a future Jamaica, Pryce spent the entire day at the forum organised jointly by the Cannabis Commercial and Medicinal Task Force; the Ganja Law Reform Coalition and the National Alliance for the Legalisation of Ganja, at the University of the West Indies (UWI) Mona Campus. UWI Principal Archibald McDonad chaired the forum.

UN meeting to review ganja's status

Pryce is now preparing for another major step, participation in the Vienna, Austria working group meeting this March to prepare for the United Nations General Assembly's Special Session on Narcotics in 2016 at the UN Headquarters in New York. That meeting will largely determine ganja's future in the immediate and long terms, as it will decide whether the weed continues to be prohibited under the UN Conventions on Narcotic Drugs to which Jamaica is a signatory.

Pryce does not intend to just warm a bench at the Vienna meeting.

"Canada, the United States, Uruguay and other countries including Israel (all signatories) have different domestic regimes with respect to ganja, based on positions taken in their local jurisdiction, without any deleterious impact on their status and stature within the global community," he said. "This meeting provides Jamaica an opportunity to recover its leadership on the issues and participate fulsomely in these meetings with a view to influence the new Regime circa 2016 with respect to ganja."

He noted that Jamaica was a leader in the anti-apartheid struggle under Norman Manley, while still a colony of Britain; in the non-aligned movement and the new world economic order in the 1970s under Michael Manley and the establishment of the Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) in the 1980s under Edward Seaga.

"My belief is that we must change the 'fear'-led prohibition regime to a 'fair' and intelligent approach to ganja, and Jamaica must take back its lead role internationally," said Pryce.

Outlining his outlook for a ganja industry in Jamaica, Pryce said that whether for medicinal, religious, social or personal use, a legitimate system had to be developed "that maps out supply (farming, strains, subspecies, genetic material), harvesting (post-harvesting storage, phyto-sanitary specifications), distribution (local and export), licensing, taxation, marketing, promotion and all related elements of a formal industry".

He said that those processes had already begun on differing levels, not least of which was the Government's decision to trademark Jamaican ganja in Europe recently.

"Some of the stakeholders at the ganja forum (January 18, 2014) are also involved in leading the developments of various models for consideration. All such activities must be formalised with dispatch, even as the policy position at the Cabinet level is settled and in addition to the development in the local Parliament which resulted from the Private Member's Motion I tabled one year ago. In the debate on the motion I raised and detailed the way forward on a number of these parameters," he said.

"I was careful to locate the discussion in what was happening in the region, this hemisphere and globally. With events such as the ganja forum, more information is being exchanged by additional sources, which is helping people to better understand the situation and why decriminalisation or otherwise legitimisation of the ganja sector is crucial to social, economic and therefore national development," Pryce added.

Cops must end 'slash and burn' policy in ganja fields

Pryce acknowledged that the Jamaican Parliament still had more work to do and he pledged that for his part, he had two additional related Private Member's Motions to bring to the House.

"One includes the request for the establishment of a Government department which would provide a central co-ordinating mechanism that outlines the facets and relationships across sectors that will see Jamaica achieving a legitimate ganja sector in the shortest possible time. The second will call for a cease and desist from the 'slash and burn' approach by the security forces so that we stop destroying the genetic material as well as the soil profile when ganja farms are located," he said.

The MP also disclosed that he had also identified legal support to help him draft a model Bill that would set out the new legal framework to support a comprehensive and profitable ganja sector.

Pryce believes that the time has come for a new approach to business and economic development in Jamaica, arguing that since the Europeans arrived, Jamaica had pursued economic development through extractive industries where raw materials and primary products were mined or harvested and taken to Europe (mostly England).

Finished goods and services were then imported to Jamaica from developed countries at great cost to domestic consumers, bauxite being a classic example.

"We export raw ore or alumina and import from aluminium foil to motor cars. Continued dependence on this model will never achieve the quantum leap we need to secure our sustainable development," he said. "It makes us more vulnerable, more poor and susceptible to environmental degradation which, with climate change, will certify our underdevelopment.

"We must now replace that approach. The creative industries are less costly to develop, provide more people participation and ownership. Returns are more widely dispersed and distributed. The environmental footprints are smaller. Vulnerabilities to climate change are reduced and the middle-class more likely to expand. Local high value goods and services (commodities) are developed, which enhance export-led trade, grow the economy, reduce unemployment, increase entrepreneurship and innovation and increase wealth, which is retained in the local economy.

"Ganja won't achieve all of this. Ganja, however, is a keystone sector in the way forward with more potential than people initially thought possible," Pryce suggested. "I am adamant that a change in our approach to ganja will, in time, redound to the economic and social benefit of this country."
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

I cant understand the denial by some of its cultural value in Jamaican society,why the shame ? My Grandmother who was a teacher used it as her herbal remedy to treat me when I was a youth,sick and bed ridden,I remember she drew some portion of white rum with ganja and what else to rub me down,a certain tea was given for me to drink and I am sure it was ganja.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Delano Seiveright takes ganja to the Jamaica Stock Exchange
      BY DESMOND ALLEN Executive Editor — Special Assignment allend@jamaicaobserver.com
      Monday, January 27, 2014

ABOVE ground, ganja remained a pariah for decades. Underground, however, the weed has flourished, defying all legal constraints. Luckily, it seems.
      All of a sudden, ganja has burst forth from underground and has caught the unprecedented attention of the world.
      In Jamaica, the most spectacular evidence of ganja's rebirth, arguably, is the invitation to the ganja lobby, represented by the Ganja Law Reform Coalition (GLRC) to present at the highly regarded Investments and Capital Markets Conference 2014 staged by the Jamaica Stock Exchange last week.
      And ganja is not yet decriminalised or legalised in Jamaica!
      The list of speakers over the three days of the conference included Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller; Charles Ross; Allison Peart; Giorgio Valentini of the World Bank; Bert Van Selm of the IMF; Lissant Mitchell; Adam Stewart; Michael Ranglin; Gary Allen; Kelly Tomblin; Leo Williams; David Mullings; and Gregory White.
      The man chosen to deliver the sermon on "Investment Opportunities from Legalising Marijuana" was Delano Seiveright, the young politico whose light flickered bright in the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) constellation for a time.
      The weekend before, Seiveright, Paul Burke, the People's National Party (PNP) firebrand, and GLRC chairman Paul Chang had pulled together the disparate groups and individuals comprising the ganja lobby into a loose, if highly spirited coalition at a forum attended by potential investors from the United States and Canada.
      They achieved the historic feat of launching Jamaica's first Future Ganja Growers and Producers Association, at the Mona Campus of the University of the West Indies
      That forum set the stage for Seiveright's presentation which was a compelling listen, chock-full of enticing information that the men in pinstripes and grey suits and the women in power suits would have found difficult to ignore.
      "The investment opportunities from legalising ganja are huge," argued Seiveright.
      "It is important to note that recent moves in the United States and elsewhere have created an industry where many players have never even touched the plant. "In Colorado alone, the industry incorporates lawyers, architects, laboratory technicians, real estate developers, academia, accountants, doctors, nurses, tour operators, agronomists, security, clerical personnel and an amazing range of spin-offs," he said.
      Colorado is the first US state to legalise ganja and some of the key players in the legalisation campaign were in prominent attendance at the historic forum. A lengthening string of 20 other US states are at varying levels of legalisation, many having noticed that Canada, their big neighbour to the north, had already legalised the weed for medicinal purposes.
      "To put it in context, Colorado has more ganja dispensaries than Starbucks," said Seiveright, mentioning a brand well known to most of the gathering in the upscale Jamaica Pegasus Hotel in the New Kingston business district.
      "The overall ganja market in the United States, according to authoritative sources, is estimated to value over US$100 billion, just several billion dollars short of the alcohol industry.
      "For Jamaica, we don't know how large our sector is, but the investment opportunities are obvious for many and less so in some cases. The more obvious relate to the impact on our agriculture, tourism and financial sectors.
      "Many farmers and potential farmers stand to benefit from what would undoubtedly be an increase in the number of tourists visiting the island and feeling at ease in acquiring our Brand name product. However, our farmers will have to invest in rehabilitation efforts and increasing and improving on the variety of strains on the island.
      "Small hotels, in particular, stand to benefit from rustic and boutique offerings around ganja that will attract more visitors. One company in Colorado is already booked 100 per cent for ganja tours right into the summer throughout the state. Here being the home of reggae, Bob Marley and high grade, there is doubt in our minds that quality ganja tours here will be so much of a hit, that operators will struggle to keep up with the numbers.
      "There also exists significant export opportunities to Canada, however, we must see to it that we focus on value added and or quality products so that we can command high prices
      "The financial services sector will benefit in many ways including loans to farmers, tour operators, hoteliers, café operators and so on, so that they can build up the infrastructure to operate viable services and good products. In this industry we see where quality and branding greatly affect price.
      "Our marketers, real estate professionals, accountants, developers, laboratory technicians, and other professionals are going to be kept very busy fine-tuning their services as Jamaica's status as a hub for ganja solidifies.
      "We, of course, note the development of Medicanja, of which I am involved, Jamaica's first medical ganja company by Jamaican scientist and entrepreneur, Dr Henry Lowe who, like several others, sees the incredible opportunities for research and product development using the medicinal compounds called the CBDs (the non-psychoactive compounds).
      "We should never lose sight of the fact that Jamaica was one of the first countries in the world to develop a commercial product from ganja, "Canasol" used to treat glaucoma. It would be a crying shame if we sit and allow ourselves to lose out to a booming multibillion-dollar industry in Europe and North America," said Seiveright.
      Seiveright's appearance at the Stock Exchange conference, impressive as that was, is not yet a sign that the ganja lobby is home and dry. When he asked, by a show of hand, how many of Jamaica's business crème de la crème in the room had ever used ganja, only one hand went up, and was quickly withdrawn.
      "Well I'm surprised by that, as just late last year, the findings in a Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices (KAP) survey -- commissioned by the Henry Lowe -- led Biotech R&D Institute and Pelican Publishers and carried out by prominent Pollster Don Anderson and his company Market Research Services --highlighted that 57% of all persons claim to have used ganja at some time in the past, with 39% claiming to no longer use ganja, but 38% say they still smoke it and 34% use it as a drink," said Seiveright quizzically.
      Seiveright suggested that the biggest enemy against Jamaica achieving its rightful benefits from ganja was time.

Comment

Really appreciate the article,it gives me a peep into the mind of the ruling party.After hearing KD Knight I thought to myself,hell would have to freeze....
        I believe one of gripes to do with the Old Boys Club is they are trapped in a timezone of yesteryear,they are not current.
        There is greet diplomacy to a UN meeting,is his trip being paid for by the Govt?Will he be acting on behalf of the Govt?

Comment

I am heartend by his public honest piece on the cultural context ,from grandma to family,in the legal,police and religous field.

It irks me when the pompous come ,my family nuh smoke ganja,what about other uses ?..The word play we use to hide,Jamaicans dont only smoke it,if we listed all the uses ,we might surprise ourselves.

Comment

Another myth that needs to be unearthed about Ganja in Jamaica,we all know the indians brought it here as indentured servants , but so did the chinese (asians) and middle east (Syrians & Jews ,land of palestine). Its cultural use is a part of all of these immigrants to Jamaica.

Those of us who had privilige to sit with our learned elders,will tell you the role this immigrant sect who grew into the money class played in Jamaicas ganja history.

It will come out,one day.Crucify the dreaaddd time alone ,time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
              Why is Raymond Pryce, grand nephew of former commissioner, so high on ganja?
              MP wants end to 'slash and burn' practice by cops

More known to the people of Mile Gully, St Ann, is that Pryce is the grandson of a woman, Mary Pryce, who developed home remedies from ganja and whose family has retained several of her remedy formulas, including ganja, to this day.

That partially explains why Pryce has been at the forefront of activities by a rapidly growing local and international lobby for legalisation of ganja, with the bigger vision being a thriving ganja industry in Jamaica, built on the weed's long history that advocates like the MP say has put the island way ahead of countries now salivating about the economic prospects.
              And he's also the MP for one of the biggest ganja growing areas in Jamaica!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Medical Ganja Industry Submission To Go Before Cabinet 'Shortly', Says Justice Minister

Published: Tuesday January 28, 2014 | 2:25 pm0 Comments
                Marijuana plants - File
                Marijuana plants - File
                1 2 >
                Jovan Johnson, Gleaner Writer

KINGSTON, Jamaica:
                Justice Minister Mark Golding says Cabinet is to receive a submission shortly, from his ministry for approval to be given for the development of a medical marijuana policy and industry.

Speaking on Power 106 FM’s Real Business this morning, Golding said given international trends, the Government believes there is need to reform local laws to allow for a medical marijuana industry.

He says Jamaica is a party to three international conventions, including the 1961 UN Single Convention on Narcotics, which prohibits the production and supply of drugs including ganja.

However, the convention allows for the use of ganja for medicinal and scientific purposes or where a nation’s constitution requires a different approach to the usage of the substance.

Senator Golding says the Government does not want to miss opportunities in the medical marijuana field.

However, Senator Golding says there can be no timeline for laws to allow the medical ganja industry as the Government is at the initial stages of the process.

Canada-based MedCannAccess, has urged Jamaica to act quickly and seize the economic opportunity that could come from legalising marijuana and establishing an export market for the product.

In December, Professor Henry Lowe launched MediCanja, Jamaica’s first medical ganja company to tap into the multibillion-dollar industry.

Comment

Big talk, dat!!!!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                    Really appreciate the article,it gives me a peep into the mind of the ruling party.After hearing KD Knight I thought to myself,hell would have to freeze....

I believe one of gripes to do with the Old Boys Club is they are trapped in a timezone of yesteryear,they are not current.
                    Yup!

There is greet diplomacy to a UN meeting,is his trip being paid for by the Govt?Will he be acting on behalf of the Govt?
                    I would be shocked if it was not an official GOJ trip.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

If Ganja becomes legal under a PNP administration, my lord we are talking half a century or more of PNP rule.They will claim it.

Legalise it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABc8ciT5QLs

Decriminalisation makes no sense a black market would still exist with court cost, legalisation would mean no black market, no court cost and profits.

Comment

They should not claim jack! They are merely following backa the rest of the world, riding in the wake of a wave that they did zero to generate.

Kmt!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Gi dem credit dem duh something that's practical and mek sense,ask Bruce.

Comment

Even if true as it most likely is, is rthst a reason to continue to miss out? To prove what point? That they are not waggonists? That is lmostnas bad as the 'infama' culture where people don't speak up about atrocities.

What do we value?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Not saying that at all! But they are doing what a JLP government would have done. Nothing to write home about! The wave is sweeping over everybody so we must get caught in it somehow.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X