RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which States Will Legalize Marijuana Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which States Will Legalize Marijuana Next?

http://www.atlnightspots.com/which-s...arijuana-next/

Altered States: Where Will Marijuana Be Legal Next?
    Colorado and Washington were just the first dominoes to fall in what will be a complete dismantling of America's pot laws

Marijuana had a good week in America.

In a huge shift in federal policy, Attorney General Eric Holder announced yesterday that state-sanctioned marijuana businesses will have access to banking services, something that’s been crippling medical and recreational retailers for years. Up until now, you could own a pot business in a state where it was legal to do so, but no financial institution would touch you for fear of prosecution. This meant a lot of cash in a lot of mattresses.

A few days before that, President Obama told The New Yorker that he doesn’t think weed is “more dangerous than alcohol.” There were about 16,993 other words in that profile, but that’s the bit that made headlines.

NOW READ THIS
    Livability Final Poster H7249056

And, in a move entirely shocking to anybody who knows who they are, both Texas Governor Rick Perry and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal gave atypical answers when asked for their thoughts on the state of marijuana legalization. Perry said he supports decriminalization, while Jindal said he could accept medical marijuana if it’s tightly controlled. These are the Republican governors of very red states. The Florida Supreme Court has just approved medical marijuana as a ballot initiative for the state’s November elections this year.

Meanwhile, in also-red Georgia, a GOP lawmaker who claims he has never smoked marijuana is going to introduce a bill to legalize cannabidiol oil for medicinal purposes. He says his impetus was a visit to a 4-year-old girl with a seizure disorder who could benefit from such treatment.

I had the pleasure of breaking the news about Perry and Jindal over the phone yesterday to Allen St. Pierre, the executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. NORML is the nation’s oldest pro-marijuana reform group. St. Pierre hadn’t heard about their comments yet because he’d been on the phone with other reporters all afternoon; it’s a busy time for marijuana reform, and he’s a busy man.

“They’re clearly responding to public sentiment,” he says. “Eighty-five percent of the public want medical marijuana. If you are a politician not listening to 85 percent of the public, you are a schmuck.”

Even though stringently conservative Republican governors dipping their toes in bong water is big news, it doesn’t necessarily mean legislative reform will be coming to Louisiana or Texas anytime soon. So what states are actually the most likely to join the ranks of Washington and Colorado this year?

THE STONER BOWL

Click Dr. Evil for the best Super Bowl marijuana memes. marijuana.super_.bowl_.memes_.4

We asked St. Pierre to handicap the states he thinks are next up to legalize either medical or recreational marijuana. Medicinal pot is currently legal in 22 states and the District of Columbia.

weeed_combined
    This year both Oregon and Alaska have qualified to put legalization on the ballot, and St. Pierre thinks chances of success are pretty high, given the resources and supportive polling data in both states. Reformers also have about a week to decide whether they want to try to legalize in California in 2014, which could have up to three competing bills of various degrees. If not this year, then definitely 2016.

NOW READ THIS
    Drug Mule 0311105698221

“Looking out to 2016, if Oregon does not vote to legalize marijuana this time around, it’ll be on the ballot with California, Massachusetts and Maine,” St. Pierre says. “Those are all states that are primed for the initial process to legalize.”

He says a state usually has to have “four bites at the apple—it usually takes between four and seven years in the legislation process.” Some states are more stubborn than others: Missouri has been debating medical marijuana since the 1990s and has yet to legalize it.

Of the seven states with medical marijuana bills pending, NORML is putting their money on Minnesota. The Midwestern state actually already passed a bill, but then-Governor Tim Pawlenty vetoed it.

NOW READ THIS
    hashoilcig

The first year that states offered legislation to legalize marijuana was 2008, and in 2013, 10 states had legalization bills on the table. “That’s a pretty good increase, from two to 10,” says St. Pierre. NORML estimates that 15 states will introduce bills this year. Even Alabama is getting on board—it’s not likely to pass, but introducing is the first step.

St. Pierre pegs the change in public opinion on marijuana to a few different things. According to Gallup, in addition to the 85 percent of Americans who support legalizing medical marijuana, 73 percent support decriminalizing it, and 58 percent support full legalization. In 40 years, that support number has gone from 10 to nearly 60 percent.

NOW WATCH THIS
    weed

The reasons:

1. Baby boomers are now in charge of our media, corporations and government, “like Mr. Choom-Gang-smoking-marijuana President” Obama.

2. The Interwebs. “If you asked me to mail a postcard to all of NORML’s network in the 1980s, we’d be bankrupt. We can now push information out to millions of people at no cost.”

3. The progress of medical marijuana, which was ignited in 1996 when California voted for it.

4. The economy. “When we’re fat and happy, and the states are loaded with money. We can look at the costs of marijuana prohibition and say that’s no big deal. But today’s baby boomers who run the country aren’t prioritizing arresting people for marijuana. They prioritize other things with their limited budgets.”

The sea change in media has certainly been a big help—one need only look to conservative Democratic Senator Harry Reid citing Sanjay Gupta’s CNN weed special as partial reason for his evolution. St. Pierre calls CNN the “Cannabis News Network” now, because they’ve figured out that more marijuana coverage means more viewers and more money.

“Nancy Grace tonight is going to have marijuana on her show for the seventh night out of the last eight nights,” he says. “And she’s crazy. She’s completely nuts against marijuana. But every night, she asks us to come on…so more people will watch her stupid show. She hates marijuana, but she loves money more.”

With Colorado already raking in millions upon millions of dollars in weed revenue, maybe capitalist America will follow suit. It might even save our higher education system.

NOT jamaica

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I dont think we will be the 1st in the carribbean to do it also,There is a bredda name F.Johnson that mek some Historian like anti ganja post and H.L before im get converted, man mek a statement that ganja is a get rich scheme for lazy people who were not civilised like im and im parents were post slavery .....lol.....maddest man in di observa...man linked to the ministry of education.
      Now if this is the mentality ?

Reparations and ganja — get rich quick schemes?

Franklin JOHNSTON

Friday, January 24, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!

We made a mockery of ours years of Independence. Our tourism no longer lives ‘out of many one people’; to be Jamaican is to be Rastafarian as they have subtly promoted this image abroad.

The values, character and reputation of this nation are directly related to our conduct in the public arena. And maybe our reparations and ganja forays are wars of convenience, bereft of high principle. I never considered the Europeans who enslaved my ancestors my equals; same for African slavers, heirs and successors who live inglorious history without explanation to us their diaspora. But I am not at ease with using their tactics or citing poverty to justify force or blackmail to cash-in on my ancestors. My Dad would say leave it to retribution! After slavery we were secure, trusting; since Independence, insecure and suspicious. We made a mockery of 50 + 1 years of Independence. Had we done nothing but hold the secular trend line we would be better off. Yet, we must cherish every bit of reputation as "good name better than money". We achieved notoriety in so many things; will they come back to bite us?

Sport, culture and entertainment are our métier, but I fear we have been profligate and not valued our prowess. In culture the Isaac Mendez Belisario prints evidence a rich heritage in form and fabric; the brush of this Jamaican Jew who benefited from the Jewish Emancipation Act of the 1830s fixed us in history. Today, we have crass displays which masquerade as culture on the north coast. Penile structures gifted to donkeys placed most ingloriously on the graven images of our men; obstructing traffic in their exuberance; gross disrespect to folk art. This is not the florescence of intuitive art, but the attention seeker perverting our culture for sensation and profit. We are in danger of losing popular culture as we revel in the salacious trickery feral psyches contrive. Must we lose our reputation for art not redolent of our values? Who will rescue our intuitive artists from commercial, selfish exploitation? What about our reputation and values? Our culture is now endangered.

Our standards have slipped. We are an icon of the undesirable. Our tourism no longer lives "out of many one people"; to be Jamaican is to be Rastafarian as they have subtly promoted this image abroad. Yet we are a Christian nation. Take our athletes, many seem so surfeited by self we are in danger of losing national spirit because of what they ingest. Is this the character built by a nation with a century of global sporting prowess? Should we not expect the gravitas of McKinley, Wint, Rhoden? Is glorious Champs no longer our burden? Do athletes know they are keepers of a sacred flame? If we have another meltdown of athletes might we lose our reputation in sport? There is one place to go when you are on top. Don't!

Our entertainers are also on a slippery slope. They have done well for themselves, but the life-affirming, revolutionary mantras to change a nation are no more. They rode roughshod over the path Bob blazed with his petulance and peccadilloes. Our minstrels back then were quirky and idiosyncratic prophets. Ganja smoke and ital were embedded in Bob's psyche but did not define him. A peacemaker, non-violent patrician, he did not tout a spliff, not even a roach. He had self-respect. Today Buju, Kartel are locked up -- drugs, murder; false prophets, the antithesis of our values. Bob brought warring politicians to peaceful singularity, hands raised in love. Today murderous lyrics of the marketplace pound -- they create war. The anti-gay cash for kill lyrics which so bruited our tourism rise again, "their lips are silent but their hearts are feral". We lost caring, and are in danger of losing our artistic integrity, values and reputation.

It is hard to resist the thought that the emergence of reparations and ganja campaigns at this time is not principle but opportunism; greed born of failure to prosper our nation. Is it coincidence that these mega issues come now as we are **** poor? Do we clutch straws? They blindsided me as they did not emerge from debate, our hurts or priorities. Are we just copycat? Colorado? Mau Mau? The demon of crime and violence which takes young and old is rampant here. The ennui which makes us unable to feed ourselves is crippling; are these priorities? What of our mis-education? We now know our kids were not dunces as we were told. It was not "a few bad eggs", the system produced rotten eggs. The recent JCF research is instructive though not definitive. We cursed illiterate criminals for not going to school; we now know the majority of men in prison went to secondary school. Illiterate, yes, but schooled for at least nine years. Who owns this train wreck? Now we know, let's fix it. Minister Thwaites went to Parliament; no blame game, no recriminations; swallow pride, put shoulders to the education wheel. Yes, we can!

Why are logical, headline issues of crime, violence, food, education ignored for reparations and ganja? Quick fix? Forget work, take a punt on a Cash Pot claim our parents did not pursue even with eminent legal counsel N W Manley on hand? I was always inspired by the Mau Mau, but by accepting cash they brought a glorious tale of heroism to a sordid end. For some British £4,000 apiece, warriors who inspired black people globally became mere mercenaries. The magic is gone. They killed this inspiring myth for thirty pieces of silver...it is finished! Reparation is an open wound which I would have so for evil men to contemplate forever. The suffering of my foreparents was iconic, the injustice extreme; and I do not wish to exonerate any man at this time by taking his cash "in full and final settlement" of this evil. I would rather humanity gaze in perpetuity on the face of past evil than receive a stale-dated penitent cheque and give a thank you speech. I do not wish to bring closure to this gaping wound; let the pus of this suppuration attract flies and maggots; let it stink to heaven; lock up your windows -- evil will out! Bring closure to reparations for cash? may the cries of our ancestors haunt us forever and ever. Selah!

The reparations and ganja putsch smacks of desperation. "Mek we juk dem fi mek a money?" I may be poor, but I am proud. I do not want reparations just because I am on the bone of my arse. It merely justifies what slavers thought of black people -- shiftless and workshy. Thumbing my nose at the Imperialist establishment is priceless. If they offered me reparations now I would say "Let me get back to you on this!" I may accept when I have prospered my nation and give it all to education and starving Africa. We diminish our spirit if, like the Mau Mau, it all ends with a few British pounds given to one-legged, old black men with halitosis and toothless smiles. These are not my Mau Mau warriors, but then as Roger Mais intones..."all men come to the hills...finally!" I love to see Imperialist friends squirm when I cite the injustice of their foreparents in not paying compensation to mine while paying their kin lavishly. My one guilty pleasure. To take their cash would rob me of this. Stay conscious, my friend!

Dr Franklin Johnston is a strategist, project manager and advises the minister of education. franklinjohnstontoo@gmail.com

JamFlag.jpg

We made a mockery of ours years of Independence. Our tourism no longer lives 'out of many one people'; to be Jamaican is to be Rastafarian as they have subtly promoted this image abroad.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X