Why the Goat Islands are not the best location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Goat Islands are not the best location

Why the Goat Islands are not the best location for the touted fourth World-Class Logistics Hub
    BY Howard Chin

Sunday, January 26, 2014 2 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

Professor Gordon Shirley, chairman and CEO of the Port Authority of Jamaica, speaking at last week’s Logistics Hub Symposium at the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston. (PHOTO: ASTON SPAULDING)

I recently did some investigations regarding the Jamaica Logistics Hub, as proposed by the Chinese and swallowed hook, line, and sinker by the Government.

My investigations involved getting customised and some very old maps of Clarendon and St Dorothy Plain from the Survey Department of the National Land Agency. The maps required took them about two weeks to prepare, and when I asked if anyone else in recent years had requested similar information, I was told nobody had.

So, I might reasonably deduce that neither the Chinese nor the Government, or even Conrad Douglas have similar survey maps which would be necessary for preliminary designs. I find this to be quite interesting.

I examined maps of the lands of St Catherine adjacent to the Goat Islands and the Goat Islands themselves. The first thing that became apparent was that access was restricted and would have to be either most directly one mile (1.6 km) across Galleon Harbour, coming ashore at Willikins Estate and going about 2.4 miles north to connect with the railway, or, south-east to the nearest land, then northwards towards the railway, a total of 7.5 miles, five of which is classified as "marsh", "swamp" and "mud".

At a Caribbean Maritime Institute and University of the West Indies seminar titled 'The Logistics Hub: The Economy vs The Environment' held on November 9, 2013, it was reported that the size of the proposed Chinese facility is 3,000 acres.

Trying to get this area at Great Goat Island involves dynamiting and pushing much of the 316 ft high (at the peak) island into the sea, similar to Subic Bay in The Phillippines where an entire mountain was thrown into the bay.

The resultant area, planted on the mud of the bay and the remnants of the Goat Islands would be about 1,500 acres or a half of the area required. More area could be reclaimed from the sea, but at considerable cost, and being located at the mouth of the low-flow Salt Island creek, would be on top of the soft sediments washed down over the millennia, prone to settlement and liquefaction in the event of an earthquake.

More recently, after the Government Logistics Hub Symposium on January 20 and 21, 2014, Gordon Shirley of the Port Authority of Jamaica was reported as saying that the area of the proposed port was reduced to 600 acres and involves both the Goat Islands and lands on shore to the north.

This is impossible, because Great Goat Island alone is about one square mile, which is 640 acres. As well, both it, and I suppose, the multitudes of associated, yet to materialise, businesses are supposed to employ 10,000 people. With the build-out of the port and facilities yet to occur, and doubtful investors yet to be enticed into establishing businesses in the logistics hub, these jobs would realistically begin to come into existence at least three years or more into the future.

Since it would be unwise to block the outlet of the river, a bridge about a mile long is essential for access to the island port, even by the shortest route. This has to carry the railway (if used) and at least a two-lane roadway, if the type of operations described at the previously mentioned presentations were to occur.

The road and rail bridge across the sea would have to be built on top of piles sufficiently high out of the water to let the highest design storm surge pass under, or they would risk losing the bridge.

The roadway traversing the swamp would have to be a floating one, prone to settlement over time, and takes no account of sea level rise due to global warming (Minister Pickersgill should advise them) which should submerge this area later this century, and be susceptible to storm surge damage during hurricanes.

In fact, the roadway and railway would most likely be impassable and the Goat Island facility would be cut off from the rest of Jamaica until they could be repaired. Similarly, access routes built over a swamp would be disrupted by an earthquake, and we're due for a big one, as the UWI's Earthquake Unit and ODPEM have been telling us.

In the event of a hurricane, the port might become inoperative for an extended period of time if the road, power and rail bridge were to be damaged, unless it were to be completely self-contained, with a desalination plant, waste water plant and its own power plant. But those facilities would take up the clearly valuable port area on the islands.

Not exactly the best situation for what is supposed to be a Logistics Hub which should be built to resist what nature can throw at it and keep operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If Jamaica has ambitions of becoming the fourth World-Class Logistics Hub, why on earth would you pick a location (the Goat Islands) with limited space to grow, with the sea, swamps and marshes between it and the mainland?

Compare the Dubai Logistics Corridor where everything -- the sixth largest container port in the world, Jebel Ali Port; Jafza hosting 6,500 companies from around the world; and Dubai World Central, which includes Al Maktoum International Airport, said to be the world's largest airport in size and volume -- is stuffed into an area of 200 sq km (an area equal to a square 8.5 miles on a side).

Dubai, the most recent of the World-Class Logistics Hubs, has recognised the importance of air freight by building the world's largest airport into its hub.

At the recent presentations at the UWI, Steve Robinson (American global supply chain management expert), and Dr Eric Deans (chairman, Logistics and Investment Task Force, Ministry of Indusrty, Investment and Commerce) described the operations of logistics hubs, emphasising the speed of operation, eg time from port to manufacturing facility to airport which could be measured in hours. The concept of 'Jamaica time' would not be acceptable.

This would require that many of the hub facilities be beside each other. Indeed, photographs of exemplary hubs shown to us had the processing facilities backed right onto the port, including one with a seven-storey container storage adjacent to the port. The statement by, I think it was Dr Paul Robertson, that the port should be on an island runs counter to this, and Rotterdam, Singapore and Dubai would seem to further confirm that it should not be on an island.

Professor Gordon Shirley showed, among the slides in his presentation, a transshipment port on the Goat Islands with an inland shaded area to the north. This seems to be the proposal, and he said as much at the Port Authority of Jamaica presentation.

Environmentally, of course, this location is a protected area, established by the Government of Jamaica, with fish sanctuaries, etc. Arguments have been put forward by persons who should know better, such as Parris Lyew-Ayee Jnr, Conrad Douglas, etc that the area is already being degraded by the dynamiting of fish, overfishing, sugar factory dunder, agricultural runoff, etc, so, go ahead and build a port.

However, these people have conveniently neglected the fact that these problems are the result of lack of enforcement of the laws of Jamaica, and the dishonouring of agreements with Caribbean Coastal Area Management Foundation, the body that is tasked with protecting the Portland Bight Protected Area, by various arms of the Government of Jamaica. Their argument is defeated simply by pointing this out.

At 18 miles from Vernam Field, and further from Norman Manley International Airport, the Goat Islands facility is not looking like a World-Class Logistics Hub.

With a reported area of 3,000 acres last year and now only 600 acres, as stated by Gordon Shirley, on an offshore island, surrounded by mangrove swamps, without reliable year-round surface or underground water sources in the area for provisioning ships, likely to be disconnected from the mainland in the event of an earthquake or hurricane, it is definitely not a logistics hub port in the proper sense.

So, what is it?

Perhaps we should look this gift horse in the mouth?

We do not have the long (40 km, about 24 miles) riverside berthing or industrial power of Rotterdam. We do not have the high-tech industrial power and manpower of Singapore, or the small area of the Dubai Logistics Corridor stuffed with goodies.

Land, sea and air connectivity is what it's all about, as I'm sure His Highness Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed al Maktoum, president of the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority and president of Dubai Aviation City Corporation, could tell the Government. Notice the 'Aviation City' in the name?

As I suggested a few months ago, McCarry Bay might be a good spot for a logistics hub. A good point in its favour is that it is not in an environmentally protected area, although the most stringent environmental law enforcement should be applied. In fact, it looks even better on a second look with more information.

Why?

Air [Vernam Field International Airport (VFIA), I'd really hate to see it with a politician's name]

* The centre of Vernam Field airfield is only five miles from the proposed port. The proposed control tower is even closer, and the sun doesn't blind the controllers in the tower when viewing the entire airport.

* A (17.5 million sq ft) terminal, plus warehousing and manufacturing facilities, area could be placed to the north-east on relatively flat ground, without dropping into a gully, or obstructing the clear view of the entire airport by the control tower. Millions of sq ft to the north-west could be used also, but were not included in the 17.5 million.

* Two of the runways can be lengthened to 12,000 ft without running over Gimme Me Bit (and running into a gully) and one could be lengthened to 10,000 ft. Mind you, you'd have to relocate the North-South runway 1,000 ft to the east to get the full 12,000 ft, which is more than the biggest commercial aeroplane, the A380F (freighter), would likely need. Also, there's plenty of space to widen all of them to 200 ft.

Land

* The railway from the north to Rocky Point would only need to be extended by less than one mile to connect to the proposed airport terminal, and from there to the sea, less than eight miles. It's a bit longer than a straight line, but you have to make a little detour around the ends of the runways.

* I'm told by other engineers that the railway to and from the Port of Kingston should be dualised. I think that's a really good idea. That might fall foul of the Highway 2000 contract, however, because it would increase the capacity and would co-incidentally improve the connectivity to Portmore and Spanish Town to Kingston. Bad planning, if you ask me.

* A connection to the highway system could be made to the west of May Pen to allow high-speed traffic alongside the railway to utilise gentle slopes of the railway to the Vernam Field International Airport and Port McCarry.

If you've driven along Highway 2000 this strategy becomes apparent, as you can see the rails by the side, just over the fence as you drive along.

Sea

* A Port McCarry with 2.5 miles of berths, 3,000 acres of port facilities, with over twice that currently unpopulated (See Google Earth) area available, would be more than enough space for later expansion, with proper planning, which we are frequently noted for not doing.

* It could have the railway running right down the middle of the port from the north-north-east -- a good thing, I am told by port design engineers. Maybe you could toss in a few spur lines for good measure.

* The port would be located on pretty flat, reasonably stable high ground, so it would not be knocked for six by sea level rise or storm surge or tsunami (hopefully not too big), as would the Goat Islands facility.

* For provisioning the ships there's surface and sub-surface water available, as compared to the lands onshore from Goat Islands where it's a scarce commodity. The Water Resources Authority would have to be consulted for the preliminary design of the port.

* Establishing Port McCarry would be more of a bulldozer type operation rather than dynamiting and throwing an island into the sea, and building a road and rail bridge more than a mile long over the sea.

* This port would, however, require more dredging and a bit more extensive breakwaters as I've been told by engineers who design ports, but you'd be doing it for the long run and a superior logistics hub, to the real benefit of Jamaica.

— Howard Chin is a mechanical engineer and a member of the Jamaica Institution of Engineers
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

This seems like commonsense and practical,why Goat Island,every thing I have read about it says no,except for the billions to be pumped in but Goat Islands doesnt make any sense from a enginering or ecological point of view ,which makes the economic one redundant,unless the chinese have billions to spend repairing it ,every time a hurricane or storm comes in.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

It does sound practical. So much so that these could not be issues that have not been considered before, particularly by the Chinese.

If a better location is so obvious, why the fixation on Goat Island? There must be a reason.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I have heard the same arguement supporting this arguement from Peter Espuet.Something nuh right.

Comment

This man is confusing the Chinese interests with Jamaican interests.

Additionally the Logistics Hub proposal as layed out prior to Chinese port interests has the KCT as the main port.. there is no mention of Goat Island.. so I would not bring Goat Island into an analysis of Jamaica as the 4th Global Hub.

Goat Island is in my analysis the Chinese Plan B, not being able to acquire the Kingston Port.

CHEC has acquired 1,200 Acres and a North South Highway and now an Enclave Port with 600 additional acres.. they just need to connect said port to the North South-Highway and their needs are met.

None these assets are included in the Mega-Project Logistics Hub presentation developed by the task force headed by Eric Deans in the Ministry of Industry and Commerce.

From a political analysis the North South Highway passes through Bobby Pickersgill constituency and it appears they have put one over on Warmington with the 3,000 acres nonsense...

As for the 10,000 jobs, I suspect they will be spread across facilities setup along the North South Higway primarily... more politically 'correct'.

Last edited by Muadib; January 26, 2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHEC has acquired 1,200 Acres and a North South Highway and now an Enclave Port with 600 additional acres.. they just need to connect said port to the North South-Highway and their needs are met.
            As for the 10,000 jobs, I suspect they will be spread across facilities setup along the North South Higway

To paraphrase NostraDon 2+ years ago:

The HWY2K/Old Harbour zone offers the best national multipliers in geospatial terms, multi-modal transportation modes of sea-rail-highway-air access, available power & water supply and proximity to Portmore where the Caribbean's highest concentration of tertiary graduates is domiciled

It tek im a few years well but all Ben sight di rake now....wooooiiieee mi clavicle
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Let's Not Put Too Many Spokes In Hub
              Published: Friday | January 17, 2014 5 Comments
              By Peter Espeut

Since Independence, we have struggled to achieve sustained economic growth, while almost all the countries around us have done so. And we have failed to put our finger on precisely why, maybe because the answer is too painful.

Without addressing the fundamental problems with Jamaican society and economy, a coalition is building to put all the nation's eggs in one basket - the logistics hub. Could it be that the factors which have denied growth to the Jamaican economy since Independence will deny us the economic benefits of the proposed logistics hub?

Don't get me wrong: The logistics hub is a very good idea once we can agree where to put it. As international trade increases, and as margins become thinner, there is concern to become more cost-efficient. Manufacturing often takes place far from markets, and as more and more people do their purchasing on the Internet, the speed and cost of delivery become a major issue.

Logistics hubs drive down supply-chain costs by providing ware-housing and quick distribution, often through air freight forwarding. The development of logistics hubs seems to be the next step in globalisation.

Jamaica is an excellent location for a logistics hub. Just a few hours sailing from the western end of the Panama Canal, from Jamaica, seaports in north, south and central America, Western Europe and West Africa are easy to reach; and so are airports in the USA, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

central location

With Jamaica as a logistics hub, producers in the Eastern Hemisphere could ship huge quantities of goods to warehouses in Jamaica, enabling carriers to use the largest conveyances, thus reducing distribution costs.

Using Jamaica as a hub, mega-ship cargos can be redirected using smaller vessels to many different ports. Once a buyer orders on the Internet, the item - always stocked in Jamaican warehouses - can quickly be flown to its destination by courier.

The larger the warehouses, the better the distribution service that can be offered. Low freight rates and high service levels will attract more companies to rent space in the logistics hub.

Jamaica is a very good location for a logistics hub. We have the port - the seventh largest natural harbour in the world - and we have the airport on the Palisadoes strip - right on the harbour. What is needed to complete the logistics complex is warehousing space, and the Caymanas area - inland from Kingston Harbour - is certainly large enough.

This warehousing and distribution hub would employ thousands of Jamaicans - at the seaport, the airport, and in the warehouses; and in the IT operations and call centres which would take the orders from buyers. Caymanas is strategically located between the large population centres of Kingston and Spanish Town, also centres of high unemployment.

Where it becomes complicated is when you say: Why ship the goods manufactured in the east to warehouses in Jamaica? Why not just manufacture them in Jamaica, and then sell them to markets in the Americas, Europe and Africa? The advanced stage of the logistics hub is to try to attract foreign corporations to establish manufacturing enterprises in the logistics hub, feeding into a ready-made distribution network.

importance of production

We used to manufacture shoes in Jamaica; and toothpaste, and clothes, and underwear, and baseballs, and so many other commodities. Where are these factories now? High labour costs, high energy costs, low productivity, pilferage and theft, among other things, drove them away to cheaper and more secure production centres. It is those places that will be shipping their output to the logistics hub to be distributed.

Manufacturers in the hub would address the high energy costs by building seriously polluting and environmentally damaging coal-fired power plants.

And the only strategy that can bring down labour costs is the same strategy used by many of the companies which operated in the Kingston Free Zone: import workers from China and Korea and the Philippines. This cuts out problems with low productivity ('one Chiney can do five s'maddy wuk'), with troublesome labour unions, and much of the pilferage. Make no mistake, the manufacturing part of the logistics hub cannot work otherwise.

And then they will need somewhere safe to house the foreign workers - preferably surrounded by a moat.

The warehousing and distribution part of the hub can work under local management and with local labour. Let's run with that!

Peter Espeut is a sociologist and development scientist. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com.

Comment

Silly, Ignorant Editorial, Don Quixote
                Published: Friday | January 10, 2014 3 Comments
                By Peter Espeut

In its editorial of January 7, 2014 'Luddites or martyrs?' The Gleaner characterises those (like myself) who oppose environmentally destructive economic activity as 'neo-Luddites'. Name-calling is a propaganda technique used in politics to avoid impartial examination of facts, and to incite fears or arouse prejudices. I cannot understand why a reputable newspaper like The Gleaner would resort to name-calling instead of rational, fact-based arguments.

But if one is going to resort to name-calling, at least one should understand the language one is using. Neo-Luddism is a philosophy opposing many forms of modern technology. According to the Second Luddite Congress (April 1996; Barnesville, Ohio) Neo-Luddism is, "a movement of passive resistance to consumerism and the increasingly bizarre and frightening technologies of the Computer Age".

Neo-Luddites destroy or abandon the use of technological equipment and advocate simple living. How does this relate to those of us here in Jamaica who are technologically savvy, who want the logistics hub but don't want it in an environmentally sensitive area?

When your intellectual stance is weak, I guess it is easier to do battle with an enemy if you caricature them and call them names. The Gleaner is doing battle with Neo-Luddites created by its own fertile imagination. Jousting at windmills, Don Quixote?

Since the 1980s, there has been an almost worldwide consensus that unrestricted global economic growth has accelerated global ecological degradation. In December 1983, the United Nations (UN) General Assembly (including Jamaica) established the World Commission on Environment and Development, chaired by G.H. Brundtland, former prime minister of Norway.

The Brundtland Report, released in October 1987, coined and defined the term 'sustainable development' as "development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs". The 2005 UN World Summit Outcome Document identifies the "interdependent and mutually reinforcing pillars" of sustainable development as: economic development, social development, and environmental protection.

Sustainable development

Sustainable development as a concept, as a suite of policy prescriptions, and as an outcome, is the subject of several international treaties (all signed by Jamaica), which form the basis of broad global consensus. A commitment to sustainable development has found its way into official Jamaican national policy, and forms part of the manifestos of all major Jamaican political parties.

But The Gleaner is not part of this global consensus. In its editorial last Tuesday, The Gleaner ridicules Jamaican environmentalists for insisting that the Jamaican Government lives up to its treaty and legal obligations. "They talk frequently, for instance, of sustainable development, which usually translates to 'keep things pastoral". Don Quixote is alive!

It is actually quite a silly and ignorant claim, for no environmentalist worth their salt would wish to convert the natural environment into pasture.

China is probably the best example of unsustainable development one could find. China's economy has grown tenfold since 1978, and its focus on economic development at breakneck speed has led to widespread environ-mental degradation. Some 70 per cent of China's rivers and lakes are polluted. Sixteen of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are in China. Remember the air pollution concerns during the Beijing Olympics? In January 2013, fine airborne particulates which pose the greatest health risks, rose as high as 993 micrograms per cubic meter in Beijing, compared with World Health Organisation guidelines of no more than 25. Is this the direction The Gleaner wishes Jamaica to go in?

A lot of Chinese pollution is due to the fact that China has opted for environmentally damaging coal-fired power plants as its major source of energy. China has huge reserves of coal, and expects to add about 160 new coal-fired plants to the 620 operating now, within four years.

What power source does China propose to use in its Jamaican logistics hub? Must we just accept whatever they propose without performing our own environmental due diligence? How can we accept this Chinese proposal - sight unseen - as The Gleaner suggested in its editorial of December 15 last year, just because it promises US$1.5 billion in foreign investment?

Thankfully, most Jamaicans are not blinded by investors dangling dollars before their eyes.

Peter Espeut is a development scientist and an environmentalist. Send feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com

Comment

It's Going To Be A Tough Year
                  Published: Sunday | January 5, 2014 2 Comments
                  A section of the Goat Islands.-FILE
                  A section of the Goat Islands.-FILE
                  Peter Espeut

It's going to be a tough year. I am happy to be alive to see the new year - and it is a happy new year - but 2014 is going to be a tough year.

Like most Jamaicans, I can feel my standard of living declining, as my living expenses increase and the value of my income is eaten away by devaluation and inflation. I can tighten my belt another notch, but for many, further cutting back will mean malnutrition, and taking less medication. In material terms, 2014 is going to be a tough year.

But less creature comforts is not what is uppermost in my mind as I look ahead to 2014. This new year is going to be one of intense ideological struggle - on several fronts at the same time.

Instead of single-mindedly pursuing its own idea of a logistics hub centred on Kingston Harbour, Tinson Pen and Caymanas, the Government is going to focus on bending over backwards to facilitate the logistics hub the Chinese wish to build in the Portland Bight Protected Area centred on the Goat Islands. Or are they bending over forwards?

GOAT ISLANDS' EFFECTS

We Jamaicans want a logistics hub, but a substantial and growing number of us do not want it in an ecologically sensitive area, where it will destroy a Ramsar Site, a fish sanctuary, a game sanctuary, and a forest reserve, and foreclose on the future environmental and economic benefits those areas will bring to Jamaicans.

Some time around April, the Chinese will submit their formal hub proposal to the Jamaican Government, and then the ideological battle will really begin. It is likely that the Government will wish to 'run wid it' without an environmental impact assessment (the environment be damned! It's jobs, jobs, jobs!), which will lead to a public outcry, and probably an extended court battle.

Environmentalists will accuse the Government of seeking to break or bypass its own laws and procedures, in pursuit of unsustainable development; and environmentalists like myself will be accused of being anti-development, which would be a damned lie! Thousands will take to the streets to show their disapproval, and the unpopularity of the Government will exacerbate it. Just the thought of it makes me tired! Yes, 2014 is going to be a tough year.

FINANCE REFORM

In 2014, both the People's National Party (PNP) and Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) will team up to try to raid the public purse under the headline 'Campaign Finance Reform'. Loop-holy legislation will be tabled, which will not require them to name their donors and the amounts they contribute. Influence peddling will be able to continue apace, which is what both the politicians and the private sector want.

The dead weight of political corruption has held back Jamaica's progress for decades. The refusal of both parties to dismantle their garrisons and break their links with political thuggery, and now the refusal to bring transparency to campaign financing, is costing us dearly. The legislation to allow the PNP and JLP to get public money on top of the shady donations they now receive will be tabled this year, and will have to be resisted strongly. Just the thought of it makes me tired! Yes, 2014 is going to be a tough year.

The Government is also going to table legislation (which they call flexiweek) which will eliminate the concept of a week-end; traditional Christians worship on Sundays, and Jews and Seventh-day Adventists on Saturdays; the proposed flexi-week legislation will allow management to require workers to labour on Saturdays and Sundays, as on any other day. Workers who plead that they need their day of worship, or a regular day with their families (especially their children), will have no legal ground to stand on; there will be tremendous opportunity for victimisation here.

This is a profound attack not just upon the Church but upon religion. It is hard to see how a government elected on the lowest turnout in Jamaica's history will push this one across a strongly religious Jamaican public. I think it will bring widespread public outcry. Just the thought of it makes me tired! Yes, 2014 is going to be a tough year.

As the secularists and the gay lobby get bolder, the attacks upon the Church and upon the family will get louder and stronger. The war on traditional Jamaican culture will get more intense, and will require a more reasoned and measured response. I am not so naïve as to believe that logic and good sense will dominate the discussion; ad hominem arguments, and emotional claims of fictitious 'rights', will predominate. It will be important to lay the case before the public and let them decide. Just the thought of it makes me tired! 2014 is going to be a tough year.

But then, life is tough! You have a happy new year.

Peter Espeut is a sociologist and a Roman Catholic deacon. Send feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com

Comment

tell you we might soon need Visa. Simple, the Chinese want somewhere they can control, pretty much set up a quasi government.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If this hub is so economically viable on the international market,other financing options must be viable ,from south america,africa, middle east to asia.

Hopefully Portia has a plan B ,that will cover our interest.

Comment

It is viable but risky. I don't get the impression we have investors banging on our door for a piece of the action.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The North-South leg has nothing to do with the Old Harbour Zone..

Yuh lost bad.. get a Map and get a Clue.. this is a Chiney Operation.. low value add compared to integrating SMEs into Logistics Hub operations Eco-System..

Comment

=Muadib;464686]The North-South leg has nothing to do with the Old Harbour Zone..

Irrelevant... I said the best place to maximize logistics development would be along HWY2K AND in the Old Harbour zone..... this analysis is now supported by Chiney interest in BOTH those areas

Yuh lost bad.. get a Map and get a Clue.. this is a Chiney Operation.. low value add compared to integrating SMEs into Logistics Hub operations Eco-System..
                            Different argument dat yute.

There is insufficient or no data available to evaluate the proposed Chiney investment (details of which remain unknown) against any other development which MAY be on the table.... your suss...sarry... supposed "insider info".. is not credible at this time so critical thinking demands that the suss be disregarded entirely

Feel fee to reapply when you have hard data and not verandah talk
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

No its not..

CEZ is.. China went to Plan B.. stop beating that dead horse..

You have given your opinion.. I have given mine.. thou dost protest too much..sit back and watch di ride..

Chiney Land, Chiney Road, Chiney Port.. what more do they need from us ?.. one does not need a Map.. unless yuh in denial..

All they have promised is 10,000 Jobs.. surely you cannot be that dense so denial it is..

Comment

Working...
                              X