Robotic cars start hitting the streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robotic cars start hitting the streets

Autonomous cars – is this the end of driving?
    Self-driving cars are a reality, with a host of companies developing autonomous systems

Google's self driving car
    Google driverless cars could become part of a robo taxi fleet, says the company Photo: 2012 Getty Images

By Andrew English6:30AM GMT 16 Jan 2014

Deft PR by Google and the car industy, together with a couple of analysts' reports, put autonomous driving at centre stage in all the Detroit motor show interviews this week. The media seemed in accusatory mood, with most hacks demanding self-driving cars, now!

In fact, the first driverless vehicle - the Induct Technology Navia - is now on sale, and test vehicles from Google, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus and many others have driven themselves on public roads (under strict supervision).

BMW has displayed a car that can "drift" through corners without a driver, while Volvo has announced plans for the world’s first large-scale test of driverless cars and governments are framing permit legislation to allow the further research of such vehicles on the highways, so it's clear that most of the hardware to make a self-driving car is in place, expensive and is indeed on its way into your car some time in the next decade.

The Navia self-driving shuttle finds its way around using laser-based lidar (light detection and ranging) sensors

That's not to say your car will be driving itself home any time soon, as the paucity of ultra-detailed maps and enabling legislation, plus the spectre of ambulance chasing lawyers, will keep a lid on the technology's introduction for the moment.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

I read an article on this last week and found it interesting. The BMW vehicle I read about, you do not need valet to do our parking, as it does it itself. When you are ready, you summon the car and it comes back to the point to pick you up.

I like the idea of using machine vision systems to add to the safety of vehicles. For example, I think it is Volvo that has a car that will alert the driver if he is falling asleep while driving. It uses cameras to watch the driver's eyelids and the angle he is holding his head. If it determines the driver is falling asleep, it will take over and apply brakes and control of the steering where necessary while alerting the driver. Features like these could certainly save lives.

Google has been doing its research on autonomous driving for some time now. I think they should be close to something which can drive on the roads by itself, but first have to overcome some hurdles with respect to road usage rules which will need to change.

Interesting stuff.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

God forbid when them you have a bad update, Chip not functioning as it should or programmed wrong.

Technology can be good in cars but when it doesn't function properly....
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I understand that one of the biggest hurdles to overcome is liability and the impact on insurance and laws as a result of the things you just described.

If an bad software update causes an accident and somebody dies who is liable? The operator? The owner? The software company? The car company?

It is likely the technology will be ready long before these issues are fully sorted out.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Does technology malfunction as often as human beings?!? Human beings fall asleep at the wheel all the time (I know I do!), we drive drunk, we miscalculate and misjudge distances and speeds and potential accidents, we text, we sext, we Candy Crush while driving.

I can't see how technology could do any worse!

Robot car mi seh! I want them to be the rule in Jamaica! Mek di bad-driving taximan go look sinting else fi do!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah if you have a million cars on the road with some bad calculations on curves, you know how many lives that can take???

It might be one man that drop asleep but imagine if there is some bad programming that makes a million cars go to sleep in the middle of the highway at 60 miles an hour.

You see it all the time where 2 years later they recall these cars for bad airbags, brakes etc. Now imagine what can happen if your driver is not programmed right.

Your GPS ever took you to nowhere yet and you have to use your human brain to get out?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Mosiah if you have a million cars on the road with some bad calculations on curves, you know how many lives that can take???

It might be one man that drop asleep but imagine if there is some bad programming that makes a million cars go to sleep in the middle of the highway at 60 miles an hour.

You see it all the time where 2 years later they recall these cars for bad airbags, brakes etc. Now imagine what can happen if your driver is not programmed right.

Your GPS ever took you to nowhere yet and you have to use your human brain to get out?
              I do believe we are able to make this technology safe enough for operation within the next ten years. Just my faith in the human ability. Wait till Don1 set the JC students pon it! Mad ting!

No, mi GPS neva lost mi yet!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Just remember right now when you go to the dealership and pick your favorite car or you go and buy your favorite computer, at least one in 10 that you buy have some basic or major problem with the technology involved.

Not sure I want a robot chauffer anytime soon, him can be the co-pilot. The Nissan recall on brakes a few years ago and the Boeing new plane are just some examples as we put more technology as basic operators.

Comment

Not sure I want a robot chauffer anytime soon, him can be the co-pilot. The Nissan recall on brakes a few years ago and the Boeing new plane are just some examples as we put more technology as basic operators.
                  Glad you brought up the Boeing issue. As far as I know that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. That had to do with batteries that could explode.

But let's stick with the plane - what about autopilot that is being used by virtually every plane out there? That has proven pretty liable, no?

And of course, not sure the robot engineers are trying to remove us from the picture totally. So, the robot cars would be co-pilots because I believe we would still have the option to override them.

Nuh fret! Software already parking cars automatically and so far, so good!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    I do believe we are able to make this technology safe enough for operation within the next ten years. Just my faith in the human ability. Wait till Don1 set the JC students pon it! Mad ting!
                    LOL!

between dem an' Ben Pothole Man wi noice!!!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                      I read an article on this last week and found it interesting. The BMW vehicle I read about, you do not need valet to do our parking, as it does it itself. When you are ready, you summon the car and it comes back to the point to pick you up.

I like the idea of using machine vision systems to add to the safety of vehicles. For example, I think it is Volvo that has a car that will alert the driver if he is falling asleep while driving. It uses cameras to watch the driver's eyelids and the angle he is holding his head. If it determines the driver is falling asleep, it will take over and apply brakes and control of the steering where necessary while alerting the driver. Features like these could certainly save lives.

Google has been doing its research on autonomous driving for some time now. I think they should be close to something which can drive on the roads by itself, but first have to overcome some hurdles with respect to road usage rules which will need to change.

Interesting stuff.
                      Ok boss

Comment

It is easy to use co-pilots in the air where there is no other planes up there once you go up. The Human senses are needed. You know they inspect these planes on a daily basis right?

Yes I would use it as a go co-pilot but driving in City like traffic needs a lot of
                        Maneuvering. I don't think we are anywhere close yet. Having to park the car at 5 miles an hour is not the same as driving through traffic on a daily basis.
                        I am not against technology, but just have caution about the non aspect.

Comment

It is easy to use co-pilots in the air where there is no other planes up there once you go up. The Human senses are needed. You know they inspect these planes on a daily basis right?

Yes I would use it as a go co-pilot but driving in City like traffic needs a lot of
                          Maneuvering. I don't think we are anywhere close yet. Having to park the car at 5 miles an hour is not the same as driving through traffic on a daily basis.
                          I am not against technology, but just have caution about the non aspect.
                          Yuh serious, Sass?!?

There are no other planes up there?!? Really?!?!?! And even if there isn't, what if the auto-pilot malfunctions and just brings the plane-full of people crashing to the ground?!?!? Sass, yuh just type for type's sake?! Think nah!

And who doesn't know that parking a car at 5 mph is different to driving in traffic daily?!?! That is why technology is always increment. No one is saying this will happen tomorrow, but certainly auto-parking is one of the first steps to full auto-driving.

Sass, stop typing and put that thinking cap on.

Done with this topic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            There are no other planes up there?!? Really?!?!?!

Comment

When you reach a certain height there is not a whole up a planes up there? Compare it to city driving and traffic where cars are 6 inches on all sides, stop signs, light, police, people walking in the street and so much more and all that goes with it. You know any plane that have to deal with that?

I simple don't see it in the next 10 years and as I said I rather a good human.. You can say all you want but people like you don't like to hear anything against what you believe in but at this stage I don't believe it can be trusted. I have had my problems with basic technology in my car and that at work on a daily basis.
                              Last edited by Assasin; January 19, 2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X