Chris Blackwell is the best , says Shaggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Blackwell is the best , says Shaggy

Man decide say him a go talk bout the music business, nuff people not going to like what him say though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEjKc...layer_embedded
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

I had to listen it twice. Nuff man soon take on Shaggy. You hear what he said about King Yellowman? That is the same thing I am saying about this reggae rich list.

A man might have two hit but a man who a tour for 20 years and getting royalties from movies, games and record label, more than likely should have some good money that may not be recorded.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yep, it sounds like he has decided that he is at a stage now where he is going to call it as he sees it in the Jamaican music business. Hopefully the younger artistes he is now working with will learn from what he has to say.

You know these youths him have in his stable named RSNY? Been listening to a few of their tunes, I like their sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fmdeMnSR_0
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

thanks. The DJ timing seems good. Never met Shaggy but I have had a few conversation with Red Fox who is like Shaggy bredda and with Fox and Shaggy in the crew I think there maybe some good mentorship in that camp.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Preach It

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          Man decide say him a go talk bout the music business, nuff people not going to like what him say though.
          Lol. Shaggy doesn’t hold anything back. But he is correct in his comments about Chris Blackwell. Bob Marley, of course, is the king of reggae and one of the most famous recording artists in history. Nevertheless, Marley could not have gone to the heights of superstardom without the production and marketing skills of Chris Blackwell. Without Blackwell, Marley could have very well have ended up like any other talented reggae singer.

A few years ago I posted details of the significant changes made by Blackwell to the original production of the album, “Catch A Fire,” changes which made it more palatable to European audiences and which began the road to success for Marley.The road to the dizzying heights of musical success is not an easy one.

By the way, the role of Quincy Jones in Michael Jackson’s solo career follows a similar path, with the only exception that Jackson wasn’t exactly an unknown entity when “Off the Wall” was released.

Comment

Blackwell also did it with an Irish sensation name Bono. Remember some little Irish girls acting over Bono when I was in college and to see him ended up as such an huge figure not only in music.

Comment

Met Shaggy one and had a good chat. Nice guy!

Comment

Re: Bono, etc.

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                Blackwell also did it with an Irish sensation name Bono. Remember some little Irish girls acting over Bono when I was in college and to see him ended up as such an huge figure not only in music.
                ‘Sass, I’m not absolutely sure, but I suspect that Bono and U2’s best days were after their Island Records sojourn. Of course, I am open to correction on this matter.

By the way, many people probably don’t realize that Chris Blackwell first established Island Records in Kingston.

Although Island produced many records (some of them hits) by “name brand” individuals and groups including Bob Marley & the Wailers, U2, Aswad, Steve Winwood, Traffic, Jimmy Cliff, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Grace Jones, Sly & Robbie, Cat Stevens, and many others, the label seemed to have been often beset by problems. This is the impression I have long held, but I am also open to correction here (I am no Island Records expert).

I’ve never been sure of the details surrounding whatever financial problems that the label apparently faced in the 1970s and 1980s, although Bob Marley’s untimely death would most likely have made matters worse, in my opinion. Ultimately, Blackwell sold Island Records around the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Comment

Marleys death could also have been a boon. When an artist dies their work becomes more valuable look at basquiat for example.

Especially a sudden death when they are gaining popularity ...

The Doors is another example, after the death of Morrison. Michael Jackson ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

True

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    Marleys death could also have been a boon. When an artist dies their work becomes more valuable look at basquiat for example.

Especially a sudden death when they are gaining popularity ...

The Doors is another example, after the death of Morrison. Michael Jackson ....
                    Yep, what you said here makes a whole lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X